Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is not directly Golden Retriever related but it’s relevant to goldens too and I was hoping for information from knowledgeable people here, so I hope you don’t mind.

My girl (not a golden) has hip dysplasia - I believe it would translate to a mild or moderate score on OFA. I’ve found some issues in her dam’s line. (At the time I bought her, the Australian hip score registry was in transition and not available. It’s also not widely used.) Her sire is a very well-bred US dog. I’ve looked at his OFA page and those of related dogs - all good there. However, I’m curious about the elements of scoring, as indicated in my dog’s report. Does the OFA scheme look at and consider the same elements, and what weighting does it place on each?

Here are my dog’s scores and a link to a BVA interpretation, which I think also applies to AVA scoring.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
OFA does not provide or make up to my knowledge a sheet outlining the scores for each of the physical conditions/structure like BVA does but there are correlation tables out there which would put both the dog's hips in the moderate dysplasia OFA range and thtey do look @ all these pieces that combined make up the numeric BVA score. Hip score - Wikipedia
Whether he'd have come back a moderate or a severe (or even a mild though I doubt it since moderate and severe are pretty much both trainwrecks) on OFA would depend on the view the evaluators took of the dog's films.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OFA does not provide or make up to my knowledge a sheet outlining the scores for each of the physical conditions/structure like BVA does but there are correlation tables out there which would put both the dog's hips in the moderate dysplasia OFA range and thtey do look @ all these pieces that combined make up the numeric BVA score. Hip score - Wikipedia
Whether he'd have come back a moderate or a severe (or even a mild though I doubt it since moderate and severe are pretty much both trainwrecks) on OFA would depend on the view the evaluators took of the dog's films.
Thank you. That’s useful to know. I wasn’t sure if OFA assigned more weight to osteoarthritis changes than to hip structure and subluxation.

Her (US bred) sire, paternal grandparents and paternal great-grandparents all have either good or excellent hip scores on OFA. It seems as if the contributing genes mostly came from the maternal side.

She’s actually a very active dog with no apparent symptoms at 3.5 years old. I wish I could be reassured that won’t change.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts