Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been a few older threads about this already but just thought I'd go ahead and start a new one. Due to Dillon's fairly extreme flea bite allergies, and because fleas in my area seem to be building up immunities to Advantix and Frontline, my vet recommended I give Comfortis a try.

I bought a box of it yesterday and will be giving Dillon his first pill tonight.

Any other Comfortis users? Has it ever made your dog throw up? I understand that's one of the most common side effects. Are you happy with it, does it kill fleas 100%, etc? :)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I use Comfortis when I go to SC to visit my parents, or to Southwest VA for riding. It seems in the DC area Frontline works fine for fleas, but further south they've built up an immunity to it. I've had great results with it when I do use it! My parents recently switched from Frontline to Comfortis and their purebred mutt looks GREAT! She also had flea allergies, and her coat had gotten so dull. They've had no problems with her throwing up on it. My old roommate also used Comfortis with good results - no problems using it on her JRT, but her Springer threw up once from it.

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
My pups were on Comfortis and had adverse effects. They loved the taste of it, too. Fleas are not a big problem around here (although they probably will be soon).

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My pups were on Comfortis and had adverse effects. They loved the taste of it, too. Fleas are not a big problem around here (although they probably will be soon).

What adverse effects did they have?

Fleas are not a problem here in the wintertime, but as it's getting warmer soon I'm trying to get Dillon prepared early. Even with Bug Off Garlic powder and Advantix (then Frontline when the Advantix didn't seem to be doing anything) and he was still getting bitten by fleas (and then having hot spots from them). We'll see how this summer goes on Comfortis.

Sam has never seemed to have a problem with fleabites even when the only form of flea control we use on him is the Bug Off Garlic.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Fleas have not been a problem here yet for my city dogs, but if I needed to use something I'd probably choose Comfortis. I did as much searching about it as I could some time ago. While I'm not wild about any of these medications, Comfortis seemed to have fewer reported side effects than some of the others. Of course, as you know, each dog may respond differently.

Please let us know if you end up using it and what you think.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
We use it and are very happy with it. The pills are huge and my dogs hate the way they taste. I have to break it in half, cover it with peanut butter and have a yummy meat chaser for Rusty to eat his.. Penny has to have hers put down her throat.. with a meat chaser. I come up behind her, gently slide it over the back of her tongue, and she will swallow it.

As for the vomiting.. as with any meds. I give when there is food in their stomach, and they are close to a sleep time. Most of these meds are given close to bedtime.

Hoping you have good luck with it as well! :crossfing

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
We are using it here and it works, but Merlin hates the pills. I have to quarter them and basically force each piece down his throat. I can't put them in anything or he spits them out. :( At least it's only once a month!! He hasn't had any adverse effects and has been on it for about 6-7 months.

·
3 goldens
12,187 Posts
Well Guzzle Gut LOVES them. All thetopicals stopped working down here in this area and KayCee was allergic to fle bites. I researched and coudl find nothing bad about the Comfortis, so I got them and they were a God send for KayCee. Kase "tried to spit " pills before you even gave them to her....exccpet Interceptor and Comfortis. Never a problem getting her to take them.

Now Guzzle Gut, better known as Honey, takes pills with no probme. I drop her benadryl right in with her food, nowrapping them, eanything, and she gobbles them right down. Same with antibiotics. She is a dream come true when it comes to taking meds.

PS She gets benadryl every day, histamine is suppose to hold back any of the MCT cells that could still be in her leg, tho the biopsy report was clean edges.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We use it and are very happy with it. The pills are huge and my dogs hate the way they taste.
We are using it here and it works, but Merlin hates the pills.

Ok you guys are cracking me up, I gave Dillon his Comfortis pill today after he ate dinner and just made him sit and shake paw (his usual treat routine) and he gobbled it up right away, fully chewed it up and swallowed and started sniffing at the packaging wanting more! hahaha

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
We have started using it and have had no problems. Also the rescue uses it also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts