Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 13+ month old intact male golden who is basically pretty obedient. Until recently. Now he's started this annoying habit when asked to "come" of doing so at his speed. He looks at me like, "nah, not quite ready yet". This is with treats.

As I said, he is actually pretty obedient, gets lots of exercise but now this annoying behaviour; typically when we arrive home and he does not want to leave the car or when it's time to come in (unless prefaced with "breakfast" or "supper", obvious incentive). :)

Suggestions welcome!

I suspect we're just dealing with a "teenager" but since this is my 1st golden (although not my 1st dog), I wanted to check in with you folks.

Thanks!

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Yup, they all go through it. What I do is leave a long line on them, something that won't snag on anything like a clothesline with a clip on it to attach it to the collar. Then when they choose to come at their own speed, I go get the line at the end and bring them to me with pops on the leash, then when they are close I tell them 'good here' and release, but keep the line on and repeat the request. Then (when they have come in quickly on the first call) they get their reward and are released again.

You may have to vary your treats, have different ones in your bag with you, and also vary the amount they get. If he knows he's always going to get one dried boring cookie each time, it's not much to work with. If he's not sure if he's going to get one dried cookie, or a slice of dehydrated liver, or three chunks of chicken breast, or a whole cheese string, he's more likely going to want to come and see. Also, don't just call him to put him on leash, call him to give him a treat, praise him then release him. I will often call the dogs 10 or more times on a walk depending. I also will change directions without saying anything so they pay attention to where I am, and if I can hide, they get major rewards for 'finding' me even if it's behind a tree. So when I need them to come, those come in handy as well.

Enjoy the teen years, hoping I'm done with those here!

Lana

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
If he doesn't come when you call, I would strongly suggest you don't entice him by showing him treats or by using words like breakfast or supper. It just encourages him to not respond. Because if he doesn't respond, you'll up the ante. He really shouldn't see the treats until after he comes.

A couple of helpful things I learned on this forum:

- Do you only call him to you when it's time to come inside or time to come home? If so, he may associate the word 'come' with the end of play time. Try using a different word like 'inside' when it's time to come indoors.

- When he's off leash in the yard or at the park, try calling him to you just to be petted or for a quick butt scratch, then let him go back to playing. Then he won't think that every time he comes you're going to pop the leash on him and end play.

- You shouldn't treat him every time he comes when called, but when you do treat, try jackpotting. Give him several tiny treats one after the other while saying "Good come." I have found this to be an incredibly valuable tool.

- If you've reached the point where the word 'come' no longer has any real meaning for your dog. You might want to use a new emergency recall word like 'here' as you continue to work on his training.

- There's a great article on recall by FlyingQuizini. If she doesn't see this and post a link, I'll see if I can find it. I may have bookmarked it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts