Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wow, we already have our new section !! Thanks :)

I will start a thread for this week, and perhaps others can move their plans from the Hunt & Field, and Obedience and Agility forums - or leave them for this week, and others will feel comfortable posting their planned training and results in the new section :) The other 2 threads already have a lot of good posts.

My plans for the week, with updates include:

Sun: refresh what our private covered yesterday & write my notes. Followed by Rally run thrus this evening. Updated: went to the run thrus with Casey and Faelan and while they were a little rusty, we had a great time and their 2nd run throughs were incredible.

Mon: Faelan : Articles, distance sits, Heeling change of pace, fronts
Towhee: Retrieve, distance sits, Heeling change of pace, fronts
Casey: Happy Happy
Me: Heeling Footwork and body language

Updated: we worked the daily sit and weave poles this morning after our hike. When I returned home from work I started with the ball tossing distance sits outside and got them all revved up. I followed this with Find It games (scent articles) for Casey and Faelan and retrieval work for Towhee inside. Supper tonight for them was beef, green tripe and organ meats so to further add to the distraction levels, after their warm-ups they were individually worked for heeling, change of pace, fronts and finishes with their food bowls on the floor (except Ms Towhee whose food was kept on the kitchen counter). This stimulated how revved Faelan and Towhee can be at a trial or show 'n go and I really liked it!! I worked on my footwork and body language before letting each dog out to train :)

Tue: Towhee has obedience class

Wed: Casey, Faelan and Towhee all have agility class

Thu: Combination of obedience and agility - need to include finishes

Fri: Faelan: scent articles, heeling, signals, distant sits, go outs, fronts
Towhee: Retrieve, heeling, Down out of motion, Broad Jump, fronts
Casey: Happy heeling, Retrieves, High Jump, Broad Jump
Me: Practice footwork and body language

Sat: I have a private obedience lesson, followed by a rental. ETA: Darn, my private lesson was cancelled. I still have a private coming up on Sunday though.

·
Kate
21,679 Posts
Yippeeskippeee! :)

Same as I said before...

Today - Rally fun match. If they aren't on the course, I want to make sure I work on moving downs and moving stands and fronts-from-heel.... And I also want to work on stays while waiting my turn.

Daily Schedule -

Go-Go's (getting my guy to rack). We do these as I'm taking him back down the hallway. I think this would be a fun/cute thing to play with between exercises in the ring even if I don't expect him to do a racking heel throughout. :)

Go-Outs - Building understanding through daily repetition.

Drop on recalls - Again, building understanding + keeping it fun.

Signals - I need to mix it up so he's not anticipating.

Sometime this week -

Need jump practice (rally type with 16", treat toss over 24", dumbbell retrieve over 20")

Need formal recall practice

Need to go out to pavillion or store front for stays (yuck)

ETA - I should probably say that stays are a given. We work on those every evening. It's what he has to do if he wants to eat supper. :D

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
rather than repost, I'll join in next week!

Reactions: Sunrise

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Not sure if it is because of his young age or not. I am having a hard time getting BawaaJige to heel when we are in the field working. He heels really well when we are out walking around but He knows birds and bumpers are around he goes all nuts on me.

Any tips? No I dont use an e-collar. I was thinking of a choker I have never had to use one before so I have to purchase one tonight.

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
We're having a bit of an off week with various stuff going on...spending a lot of nights in my hunter's ed class and then I have my field day on Saturday. Sunday will be group training and we are setting up with a retired gunner. Should be fun!

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I am walking towards the line, or in the field and my dog moves out of heel position, I stop. My dogs are trained heeling using this method and they know if they do not get back to heel position, I will turn around and go in the opposite direction.

His ultimate reward in the field is the opportunity to get his bird; so to get up to the line, he needs to heel. The longer it takes him to maintain heel position, the longer before he gets his opportunity to get his bird. If my dog is out of position long enough or is just way to antsy to maintain heel position (or actually in my case a less formal Lets Go position since Heel is very precise to my dogs), he gets 'the walk of shame' all the way back to the truck and gets put up while another dog gets his bird. This does not happen very often after the first time or two!

You can start this with other items he finds distracting before going into the field, so he learns how to earn his reward J And your training partners need to be patient while you do this, but honestly, it works

Not sure if it is because of his young age or not. I am having a hard time getting BawaaJige to heel when we are in the field working. He heels really well when we are out walking around but He knows birds and bumpers are around he goes all nuts on me.

Any tips? No I dont use an e-collar. I was thinking of a choker I have never had to use one before so I have to purchase one tonight.

Reactions: MarieP

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
I do something similar as Sunrise with the key point being--don't be afraid to take your time. I vary my speed when going to the line and will even stop and back up a few times. It's all about expecting my dog to pay attention to where I am and take responsibility for being next to me. I will pop my dog if she rushes ahead or tries to take bumpers of the ground. Take as much time as you need to get to the line and with time they get better.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Thanks I shall try this.

I do alot of my training is done with my sister(her dog Prada Brown) and my son so they will be as patient as I need them to be.

·
the party's crashing us
4,280 Posts
Also in field "heel" really means BACK UP or push to the left (away from handler). So teach the dog to heel backwards! If he forges on the way to the line stop, have him sit, say HEEL and BACK UP. Always turn left into your dog, like when leaving the holding blind, so he has to back up away from you. Now is a good time to start push/pull drill to teach him heel vs. here. Best of luck.

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
When I was doing field with Mira I had the same problem! So I did two things. Just like Sunrise described, if she went ahead of me I stopped I would sometimes heel a few steps backwards. This could get very time consuming at first especially if we are heading toward a water mark, but it did work.

The second thing I did, since I did not always have the time to do the above, was use a EZ Walk Body Harness. Mira pretty much wears it all the time at field when we are walking around and is never allowed to pull on her leash. When we are with a big training group and I cannot take the time to properly train like above she will wear it in the blinds and up to the line as well. At hunt tests she wears it until the last blind. You are not really teaching anything, but I don't want to allow her to practice bad behavior.

Good luck!

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Is a gentle leader legal at a hunt test? They are not legal at AKC obedience trials as they are classified as training collars like prongs and ecollars.

EDIT: Just looked at the regs they are not supposed to be used at any AKC event.

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
I don't think they are classified as training collars. I see them at agility and obedience around here. It looks like agility is the only one that specifically says they are ok, but it also gives more of a definition, since there they are not considered training collars.

Here are the rules from the hunt test manual: "Special training devices that are used to control and train dogs, including but not limited to, collars with prongs, electronic collars used with transmitters, muzzles and head collars may not be used on dogs at AKC events."

The obedience rules say: "No special training collars, such as electronic collars or prong collars, will be permitted."

Agility rules say: "Dogs may be brought to the start line on slip leads, choke chains, body harnesses or other collars that are permitted on the trial grounds. Pinch/prong and electrical collars (dummy or not), head halters and special training collars are not allowed"

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
A gentle leader is a head collar though. I don't think they are allowed. Actually, I very briefly used one when Scout was a puppy and I took her to a dog show and it was the agility people who told me I couldn't. That's fair though because your dog should be trained before taking them to a show.

"Special training devices that are used to control and train dogs, including but not limited to, collars with prongs, electronic collars used with transmitters, muzzles and head collars may not be used on dogs at AKC events."

The rules you just posted for agility says they are not allowed. They are head collars or head halters. Sure I see people get away with prongs as well too. Just sayin' it says they aren't allowed.

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Sorry, I think we are talking about different things! I mean the gentle leader body harness!!! Maybe I am calling it the wrong name, lemme check.

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Okay, I added the word "body" before harness to make sure it is clear! I do know the head harnesses are not allowed, I used one with Barley when he was young and went to an agility trial (before competing) and was told the same thing!

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Ok I didn't know they had a body harness. I am unsure about that one...when I hear Gentle Leader I think head collar. I am pretty sure that is what most people think.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Sunday we got out and ran a mark heavy training day with just a couple of simple blinds. Our pro wanted me to lighten up on blinds for a couple of training sessions. I did have a pop on one blind. I yelled "BACK" as if she was 200 yards away from me when she was sitting next to me. I don't know what I was thinking. She popped, I think the yell freaked her out. I just heeled forward and sent her again, this time with normal volume, and she was fine.

Tomorrow we train with Pro and big group. Should be fun.......and cold....and maybe rainy...but fun right?

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I've also only heard of gentle leader in reference to a head halter and assumed that was what was being discussed.

Flip and I have been playing a few control "games" at dinner time. I put their dinners in their bowls while they are outside. Then I let Flip in from outside, let him run a few strides towards the kitchen, then tell him to sit. From there I will either pass him up and make him stay on a sit while I walk to his bowl then release him, or I will meet him on the sit and we will heel together for the bowl. This one kills him! We do a sit for every few steps of heeling. He gets very upset when he's forging and I halt and he has to back up into a sit.

Yesterday I gave him his sit command as he was running in, and he started to slow down then decided he didn't want to and kept running for his dinner. I took off like a shot after him (of course he beat me there) and immediately grabbed the raw chicken quarter that was hanging out of his mouth with my bare hands. I hate touching raw chicken and usually wear something when I'm handling it, but there was no time for that today, he was not about to get rewarded for ignoring my command! I got the chicken back, brought him all the way back to the back door, and started again. His butt sure hit the ground fast that time when I said sit!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts