Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to plan ahead to start getting what I need for the puppy when he comes home? What size collar do I need for a 11 week old Golden? Also, what is the next size up? Will I go through 3-4 sizes as he grows or do they adjust so I just get the 11 week one that should last him for awhile and then the adult one? Also, I've heard it is better to get collars that have the engraving plate attached vs dangling where it can fall off. Any recommendations on places that sell these on the internet or else where? Thanks

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Size?

Thanks. Boomerang looks good. There are options for 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4 and 1 inch versions? What is the right size? Is a standard collar 1 inch or 3/4?

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Thanks. Boomerang looks good. There are options for 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4 and 1 inch versions? What is the right size? Is a standard collar 1 inch or 3/4?

If you look on the cetacea site, you'll see that the smaller collars have smaller widths. You'll have to match collar width to your tag. Might be worthwhile to wait for a boomerang until he's big enough to handle a full sized collar. BTW, both my girls as adults wear the 1" large collar.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cetaceacorp

This looks like a great site? The collars are pretty adjustable. The mediums are 11.5-19 inches and the large are 15-25 inches. Do you think I could start with the medium and then move to a large when the dog got bigger? Would an 11 week old puppy have a neck smaller than 11.5?

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
This looks like a great site? The collars are pretty adjustable. The mediums are 11.5-19 inches and the large are 15-25 inches. Do you think I could start with the medium and then move to a large when the dog got bigger? Would an 11 week old puppy have a neck smaller than 11.5?

My full grown springer is in a medium. He could wear the large, but at 57 lbs does fine in the medium. SO, I'm guessing that you'd need a small for a little pup....... They are so cheap, you could always buy both and if he can fit the medium send the other back. I see the small is only $5. BTW.... my redhead looks wonderful in that pattern that is a green and rust and my blond looks good in the blue and purple.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Puppy is ususally the 10-14 size 5/8 or 3/4. My puppy is 11 weeks & still wears it comfortably. I had 2 phone numbers & "medication needed" engraved on her tag. Our breeder advised against putting the name because it lets someone who finds her have the advantage of knowing the name. I read to put the bit about the medications so if someone finds them "steals" them they will more likely give them back if they think the dog has a problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts