Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please tell me your experience with getting a puppy with from Colebrook Kennels. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,849 Posts
Welcome!

I did a search, I found two threads about them you may want to read through-

Members may be able to provide more updated info on them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome!

I did a search, I found two threads about them you may want to read through-

Members may be able to provide more updated info on them.
These posts are from 2009 … anything more current?

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,849 Posts
These posts are from 2009 … anything more current?
That's the only ones that came up, that's why I said members may be able to provide you with more current info.

If you have the litter pairing-Sire/Dam's registered names, members can look up the info for you for the health clearances.

·
Super Moderator
957 Posts
Can you elaborate on why?
There are several other threads discussing this breeder. Breeding underaged, many many litters at a time and lack of health testing is the consensus I have gathered. Based on info from other threads there have also been cardiac issues.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
There are several other threads discussing this breeder. Breeding underaged, many many litters at a time and lack of health testing is the consensus I have gathered. Based on info from other threads there have also been cardiac issues.
Yes, I’m aware but for someone that has real experience and a bad one at that, it would be good to have actual information, otherwise it’s really no different than those that join solely to post how great the breeder is and never post again.

·
Super Moderator
957 Posts
Yes, I’m aware but for someone that has real experience and a bad one at that, it would be good to have actual information, otherwise it’s really no different than those that join solely to post how great the breeder is and never post again.
Well speaking personally, I looked through K9Data and my boy’s half-brother is being used as a stud. He has sired 3-4 litters according to the Facebook page and he is only a few weeks younger than Denver who won’t be 2 until September. The half-bro was first bred at about 15 months according to the timing of the first litter. So while I don’t have a dog from them nor personal experience from the breeder, I find that to be somewhat concerning and obviously not CoE compliant.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Bryeridge Make Mine A Double
DOB: Nov 23, 2013. Bred before she was 2 yr (stud book entry is typically 4-5 months after first litter is registered, and her stud book date is 12-15)
No elbow clearance, eye exam was never updated, and cardiac exam was done by a practitioner.
Has a male offspring that had preliminary FCP/DJD II Unilateral Left at 1 year.

Colebrook It's My Tale To Tell
DOB: June 8, 2017. Bred before she was 2 yr (stud book date is 4-19)
Eye exam has never been updated, and cardiac exam was done by a practitioner.

Colebrook A Lesson In Time
DOB: June 26, 2015. Bred/whelped right about the time she turned 2 yrs. (stud book date is 11-17)

Moonlit Meadows Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'
DOB: June 21, 2015. Bred before she was 2 yr (stud book is 3-17), which is also supported by a dog entered in K9data as being whelped on Nov 4, 2016

Colebrook Your Heart Will Lead You Home
DOB: June 13, 2018. Bred before she was 2 yr (stud book is 4-20)
No hip or elbow clearance, cardiac exam was done by a practitioner. But HEY! her eye exam is current.:ROFLMAO:

Colebrook Where The Magic Begins
DOB: Dec 8, 2012 (stud book date 11-15)
Eye exam has never been updated and cardiac exam was done by a practitioner. Is out of a female that she bought and bred before she was 2.

Reactions: Emmdenn

·
Super Moderator
957 Posts
My mistake...the half-brother being used as a stud was born 9/8 and Denver was born 9/12...in any case the same age as Denver and was bred underaged.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Well speaking personally, I looked through K9Data and my boy’s half-brother is being used as a stud. He has sired 3-4 litters according to the Facebook page and he is only a few weeks younger than Denver who won’t be 2 until September. The half-bro was first bred at about 15 months according to the timing of the first litter. So while I don’t have a dog from them nor personal experience from the breeder, I find that to be somewhat concerning and obviously not CoE compliant.
And I get that, how many times have we all shown the deficiencies in a pedigree yet buyers still go there, for the poster who had such a bad experience to post on multiple threads with no specificity, I feel it might drive home the point about how playing the odds with breeders like this can turn out which seems to carry far more weight than solely citing the deficient health clearances.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Personally I have expended approximately eighty-five hundred dollars for medical issues (aside from routine Vet visits) on a Golden from Colebrook, still costing approximately $120 a month for maintenance medications for hip dysplasia... and it was worth every penny to keep her healthy and happy. Sure this could happen from any Golden now a days... but what i researched and read more about Colebrook with 20/20 hindsight- I would of never definitely went that route nine years ago. Go the owners public Facebook page... is it ethical to have about 45 pups from six litters for sell (not counting one dam with large litter that died of Hydrops in that same time), within a two month period with absolutely no breeding dogs in Conformation, Field Trials, Service Training, no nix nought nothing; I don't know? With as popular as Goldens are and as hard as it is to get on a list from a top reputable breeder... I sure they had no problem selling them. Not everyone reads Golden Retriever forum to find good leads for quality GRs or may feel that some points people post are just fine minutiae.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Personally I have expended approximately eighty-five hundred dollars for medical issues (aside from routine Vet visits) on a Golden from Colebrook, still costing approximately $120 a month for maintenance medications for hip dysplasia... and it was worth every penny to keep her healthy and happy. Sure this could happen from any Golden now a days... but what i researched and read more about Colebrook with 20/20 hindsight- I would of never definitely went that route nine years ago. Go the owners public Facebook page... is it ethical to have about 45 pups from six litters for sell (not counting one dam with large litter that died of Hydrops in that same time), within a two month period with absolutely no breeding dogs in Conformation, Field Trials, Service Training, no nix nought nothing; I don't know? With as popular as Goldens are and as hard as it is to get on a list from a top reputable breeder... I sure they had no problem selling them. Not everyone reads Golden Retriever forum to find good leads for quality GRs or may feel that some points people post are just fine minutiae.
Is your pup on k9data, can you post the link to this thread and did you send in the hip films in for OFA evaluation with results made public? Being able to point to actual results along with the horror story to be makes things more "real" for the unsuspecting buyers who just want a nice pet not familiar with such detail when evaluating whether a breeder is a good fit for them. It also stops a breeder from saying a pet puppy was snookered by their vet in getting surgery for hips that weren't dysplastic...the rating & public results puts a kibosh on that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is your pup on k9data, can you post the link to this thread and did you send in the hip films in for OFA evaluation with results made public? Being able to point to actual results along with the horror story to be makes things more "real" for the unsuspecting buyers who just want a nice pet not familiar with such detail when evaluating whether a breeder is a good fit for them. It also stops a breeder from saying a pet puppy was snookered by their vet in getting surgery for hips that weren't dysplastic...the rating & public results puts a kibosh on that.
I purchased a puppy in January from Colebrook and it's been a nightmare once it became clear the heart murmur my vet heard wasn't just an innocent puppy murmur. The breeder is rude and defensive when people inform her of problems their dogs have and the standard reply seems to be she never had a golden with that issue before. Anyone is free to ask me more in depth questions about my experience with Colebrook but the amount of health issues in her dogs is concerning. Please don't give this unethical breeder your money and find one who actually cares about the health and betterment of the breed.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I purchased a puppy in January from Colebrook and it's been a nightmare once it became clear the heart murmur my vet heard wasn't just an innocent puppy murmur. The breeder is rude and defensive when people inform her of problems their dogs have and the standard reply seems to be she never had a golden with that issue before. Anyone is free to ask me more in depth questions about my experience with Colebrook but the amount of health issues in her dogs is concerning. Please don't give this unethical breeder your money and find one who actually cares about the health and betterment of the breed.
I'm so sorry you are dealing with all of this. If she bothered to do any cardiologist heart exams, these problems might be avoided, especially if she had echocardiograms performed. They aren't perfect (no "exam" can ever rule out the possibility of offspring not being affected), but they are the best we have right now, and she isn't even trying.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts