Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nasty cold has set in on me. Blocked up my head pretty good. Whats your cure?

Tonight Im going to do a couple of shots of Nyquil and hope for some rest:--sleep:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I've been putting Vicks on my throat and chest, I've had this awful chest/nasal drip/cough thing since Thanksgiving. I was on Antibiotics for 10 days but it's still hanging on. I'm curious if anyone else here has this too. I sure do hope you kick yours. Maybe whiskey would help :)

Reactions: AlanK

·
The Golden's Pet
178 Posts
Strong tea with honey and lemon, otrivin spray for those moments when you don't want to be blowing into a tissue constantly at celebrations. A hot shower and cold meds with a sedating effect like the Nyquil you are already taking!

It's going around everywhere! Hope you are better in a few days!

Jenn:wavey:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Do you like hot things? I love hot things...so, I put 2-3 teaspoons of Tabasco Sauce in hot water and drink it as a tea.

Gargle with hot salt water.

Use a personal steamer. Keep the house humidity above 40%.

I use to eat garlic cloves, but haven't done that in years...remember thinking it worked at the time.

Use Whiskey & Honey or a half a lemon dipped in sugar...nibble on the sugar coated lemon.

I also drink plenty of Emergen-C (Raspberry), it tastes good and helps build up my system.

A friend who is doing Chemo was just told to use Mucinex for her cold...

I use switch between Mucinex DM and Delsym (for a cough) and Theraflu.

Zicam Cough Spray was a godsend for me, but they have removed it from the market... :(

Good Luck with your cold...tell me how you like the Tabasco Tea!

Reactions: LibertyME and AlanK

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Awww, poor you. I hope you feel better in time for Santa Claus. Holiday colds are the worst.

I second Tailer's Folks on the Emergen-C, but my flavour is Acai berry. Tastes a lot like black currant. Yum! I seem to be sensitive and pharmaceuticals tend to make me go wonky, so I usually stick to the natural stuff. As an antibiotic, I use oil of oregano, which works very well for me. I also respond well to homeopathics, so in the early stages of a cold/flu, I take Engystol and Gripp-Heel to boost my T-cells. I'm a great fan of inhalers (friar's balsam) for congestion, and I usually do a combination of winter mint and eucalyptus. And last, but not least, I recommend hot toddies to help get a good night's sleep - although my mum used to give us hot milk with butter and honey, which tasted dreadful but worked. Get well soon.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
One remedy that studies by the National Institutes for Healthy show to work is sucking on zinc lozenges (Cold-Eze) during the first 48 hours after symptoms begin. This reduces the severity and the duration of cold symptoms. I tried this recently with a cold that was going around my office and I have gotten well much faster and with less complications than my colleagues.

The old cough remedy from my theatre days is a mixture of equal parts of lemon juice, honey, and bourbon, taken one teaspoonful at a time. But maybe you just reach a point that you don't care whether you're coughing.

I also use Sucrets to stop coughs - old-fashioned but effective.

And I love hot ginger-peach tea with dark maple syrup in it.

Hope you feel better quickly and can enjoy the holidays,

Lucy

·
she'll always be the one
2,452 Posts
Hope you feel better, Al. Get lots of sleep! Snuggle with Tuff and take good care of yourself. And, hey, maybe that whiskey... bourbon... whatever will help too. ;)

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts
I like to use a vaporizer and the vicks liquid that goes with it. Mucinex really helped me when I was sick last year. I hope you feel better soon.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Nyquil liquid at night after a warm bath and put on warm PJs. Fry the virus.

Vitamin C, vitamin E, Honey, and Zinc lots of caffeine free fluids during waking hours and try to sleep or rest as much as possible. Gargle for a sore throat of salt water.

Vicks and a humidifier are your friend must make sure to clean properly.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Hope you are beginning to feel better.

Here's what my internist recommended because I tend to get sinus infections from any cold:
1. Rest rest and rest
2. Neti pot (distilled or boiled water, not tap) and using saline nasal sprays to moisturize.
3. Nasal decongestant (AFRIN) for 3 days only (rebound effects).
4. Mucinex for nasal congestion and coughing.
5. Antihistamine such as Claritan or Zyrtec
6. Rest, rest and rest.
7. Hot soup--chicken noodle is good.
8. Green tea to get things going.
9. Omega 3 fish oils--no kidding--he thinks these are really good to benefit immune systems of humans too.
10. If eyes are affected Visine AC
11. If sinus pressure/pain happens, get in for an exam and antibiotics because that means a sinus infection is starting (for me at least).
12. More rest!

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For me good old Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) helps me with stuffed up head colds. However it can inhibit sleep.........
I went to CVS and bought a box of generic Sudafed. Geesh ...they did everything but fingerprint me to get a box of that stuff.

Thanks everyone for the advise. :)

·
Administrator
16,476 Posts
I went to CVS and bought a box of generic Sudafed. Geesh ...they did everything but fingerprint me to get a box of that stuff.

Thanks everyone for the advise. :)
Yes, unfortunately, the "meth drug makers" use this in the production of Meth which made it harder for everyday people like you and me to get this good product to which it was intended for.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,546 Posts
Old fashioned remedy-HOT TOTTIE, combined with lots of rest, liquids, vitamin C.

Manual labor works pretty good too-go chop some firewood and sweat it out of you, then rest.

Hope you're feeling better soon, tell Tuff Dog to take extra special care of his best buddy.

·
3 goldens
11,923 Posts
I drink the thera/flu severe cold and it really helps at lot. I like the green tea one. My 12 year old grandson had a nasty cold last week and i gave son some of what i had here to fix for zack and it really helped zack

i also use the ricola drops for cough and sore throat. And of course, plenty of rest.

·
Pippa and Watson’s mom
611 Posts
Take Airborne three times a day! If I take it at the first sign of a cold, it goes away immediately. If I’m already really sick, it definitely makes the symptoms a whole lot better.

Mucinex during the day and Nyquil at night are my other standbys. For those who prefer more natural remedies, this one always worked for me: honey, lemon juice, and bourbon in EQUAL (that’s important) parts. This is not a pleasant drink, trust me (and I love bourbon :D), but it’s absolutely awesome for coughs.

·
Registered
525 Posts
So sorry that you're sick for the holidays. :-(

1)Gargle w/warm salt water; 2) Neti pot or Sinus wash to get the crud out of your head; 3) Mucinex D to open you up so sinus wash can work; 4) Chicken soup; and Nyquil and Advil at night so you can sleep. Zinc and Echinacea are good supplements for a cold. EmergenC, too.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I love my neti pot. I can't take any cold meds because they make my dreams (more like nightmares) way too vivid.
I try to remember to wash my hands a lot especially once I get home after touching things on the outside. This may sound funny but it works. I have a weakened immune system and was advised to do this after getting severe colds/infections - it works.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Hdu81COC4Mw/TWGRCKe2LFI/AAAAAAAAAT8/XOrkiedE04k/s1600/netipot.jpeg

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Hope you are beginning to feel better.

Here's what my internist recommended because I tend to get sinus infections from any cold:
1. Rest rest and rest
2. Neti pot (distilled or boiled water, not tap) and using saline nasal sprays to moisturize.
3. Nasal decongestant (AFRIN) for 3 days only (rebound effects).
4. Mucinex for nasal congestion and coughing.
5. Antihistamine such as Claritan or Zyrtec
6. Rest, rest and rest.
7. Hot soup--chicken noodle is good.
8. Green tea to get things going.
9. Omega 3 fish oils--no kidding--he thinks these are really good to benefit immune systems of humans too.
10. If eyes are affected Visine AC
11. If sinus pressure/pain happens, get in for an exam and antibiotics because that means a sinus infection is starting (for me at least).
12. More rest!
Those of us prone to sinusitis have to be careful with the antihistamine! After a fourth bout in one year, a nurse practitioner explained to me that antihistamines stop the runny nose by thickening the mucous, increasing the likelihood that an infection will develop. After learning that, when a cold sets in I stop taking my usual daily antihistamine and have reduced sinus infections by 75%.

Believe it or not, getting a pneumonia vaccination has been shown to reduce sinus infections by 90% for people prone to them. That's from a study sponsored by the National Institutes for Health.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts