Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AnnieO
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have a 1.5 year old English Cream Golden who came up lame after a collision with another large dog while hiking. She would limp for a few minutes after laying down and it seemed to subside after a few minutes. After a week or so of crate rest and little to no improvement, to the vet we went. He diagnosed a partial tear of the ACL and ordered immediate start of Cold Laser Therapy. We had our first treatment today and will go twice a week for 4 weeks to start.
I have another Golden who had a full ACL tear last year and got TPLO surgery. Recovered beautifully and is now 100% back to normal.
Has anyone ever had experience with the Cold Laser Therapy? I totally trust my vet and his opinion! Just looking for information on my own.
Thanks in advance!

·
Ingrid, Now Mom to Brisby
1,111 Posts
So sorry to hear that your girl has a partially torn ACL.

I went through the same with Brisby 2 summers ago. My DVM recommended CM ( conservative management) in lieu of surgery ( TPLO, other).

Brisby's therapy consisted of acupuncture, laser therapy, supplements ( 4Cyte) and Jing Tang Cruciate Ligament in addition to limiting weight bearing exercise, running, jumping etc...but lots of swimming ( non weight bearing) to reduce loss of muscle mass.

The CM took a long time however Brisby built up enough scar tissue to hold the stifle in place. She is walking, running and jumping pain free.

I believe that the laser treatment along with the protocol above really helped her. I also know of others who have had excellent results with laser therapy.

Wishing your girl a successful recovery.

·
AnnieO
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. How long was the recovery for that? My vet recommended 28 days to start and go from there. Seems that it's not too bad, so he's hoping that will be enough time to heal it. It's so hard keeping her quiet. She's a 1 year old with plenty of energy to go around.

·
1,111 Posts
Thanks for the info. How long was the recovery for that? My vet recommended 28 days to start and go from there. Seems that it's not too bad, so he's hoping that will be enough time to heal it. It's so hard keeping her quiet. She's a 1 year old with plenty of energy to go around.
We started with laser/acupuncture once/week, then tapered to twice a week and then down to once/month as maintenance.

I totally understand how difficult it is to keep them quiet. Brisby was 2 when she blew her right stifle. Short leash walks were not doing it for her. What saved us was, that it was summer and I could let her burn off energy by swimming. Do you have anywhere with a non rocky, level entry where you can take your girl for swimming? I was fortunate as we have a pool and a nice level beach on Lake Ontario that I could take Brisby to burn off some of that energy during the healing process.

Total recovery was 6 - 8 months. I could tell immediately when she over-did activity as the toe touching on the rear leg would return and she would limp intermittently when she got up from rest. When I observed this, I knew we had to cut back on exercise to let the leg heal.

The ACL will never regenerate, however the stifle will form scar tissue which will hold it in place.

Both of Brisby's DVMs used CM as the protocol for their own dogs torn ACLs .

·
AnnieO
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

We started with laser/acupuncture once/week, then tapered to twice a week and then down to once/month as .

I totally understand how difficult it is to keep them quiet. Brisby was 2 when she blew her right stifle. Short leash walks were not doing it for her. What saved us was, that it was summer and I could let her burn off energy by swimming. Do you have anywhere with a non rocky, level entry where you can take your girl for swimming? I was fortunate as we have a pool and a nice level beach on Lake Ontario that I could take Brisby to burn off some of that energy during the healing process.

Total recovery was 6 - 8 months. I could tell immediately when she over-did activity as the toe touching on the rear leg would return and she would limp intermittently when she got up from rest. When I observed this, I knew we had to cut back on exercise to let the leg heal.

The ACL will never regenerate, however the stifle will form scar tissue which will hold it in place.

Both of Brisby's DVMs used CM as the protocol for their own dogs torn ACLs .
Yikes 6-8 months is a long time. *sigh* oh well. Maybe it won't be so long for her. But either way it'll work out in the end. This poor puppy has a little black cloud over her, I swear. She has so many issues so one more shouldn't shock me. Thanks for the input. It's much appreciated. I'm happy to hear your pup made a full recovery!

·
1,111 Posts
Really no longer than ideal recovery from a TPLO, however much less invasive.

Arthritis will likely result result with either protocol.

·
AnnieO
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really no longer than ideal recovery from a TPLO, however much less invasive.

Arthritis will likely result result with either protocol.
Yea I realized that. It's such a shame our pups have to go through this. especially when they're so young :(
Thanks again for you help and advice. I've seen a little improvement already (although it could just be me getting my hopes up) but time will tell!
Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
CCL tear

Hi, I see this posting is two years old, but I’m wondering if we could message about CM for a torn CCL? My boy did this in August and for various reasons I am not able to do surgery or braces so am using CM.

·
AnnieO
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, I see this posting is two years old, but I’m wondering if we could message about CM for a torn CCL? My boy did this in August and for various reasons I am not able to do surgery or braces so am using CM.
Yes of course. My pup didn’t have a full ACL tear but with laser therapy and physical therapy she ended up making a full recovery and I haven’t seen any issues since.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes of course. My pup didn’t have a full ACL tear but with laser therapy and physical therapy she ended up making a full recovery and I haven’t seen any issues since.
Thank you. It’s just encouraging to know that someone else did not do surgery or use braces. Both of these options are out of my price range, but because my boy has a heart condition, I wouldn’t put him under anesthesia anyhow. We are nine weeks post injury and I am seeing improvement by just using conservative management. He gets a mostly raw diet with many supplements and I use Vet’s Best Aches and Pains when needed. It’s rest, rest, rest at this time. Walks are brief, but he does weight bear, only toe touching when first getting up. He has aqua therapy and cold laser treatments weekly now, twice a week for the first 8 weeks.

If you think I’m missing something, please let me know. Thank you.

·
AnnieO
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you. It’s just encouraging to know that someone else did not do surgery or use braces. Both of these options are out of my price range, but because my boy has a heart condition, I wouldn’t put him under anesthesia anyhow. We are nine weeks post injury and I am seeing improvement by just using conservative management. He gets a mostly raw diet with many supplements and I use Vet’s Best Aches and Pains when needed. It’s rest, rest, rest at this time. Walks are brief, but he does weight bear, only toe touching when first getting up. He has aqua therapy and cold laser treatments weekly now, twice a week for the first 8 weeks.

If you think I’m missing something, please let me know. Thank you.
I think you’re doing all the right things at this time. Swimming definitely helps. It’s non weight bearing and helps build muscle around the area which will help supporting the damamged joint. My pup was young when it happened to her and she hasn’t had any issues since then at all.
My older golden had a fully torn ACL and we did the TPLO surgery for her. It helped a lot but she’s getting up there in years now and she still occasionally limps on it, usually the day after a lot of exercise like a hike or something.
After her surgery I did some physical therapy with her myself at home that might help your pup. You can hold the foot and place your other hand by the hip joint and just move the whole leg in a kind of circular motion, so it’s going front to back and all of the joints are bending and then stretching. You don’t need to apply much pressure, but just the movement helps. And then reverse the direction so you’d be going in a backwards circle.
Hope all of this was helpful!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think you’re doing all the right things at this time. Swimming definitely helps. It’s non weight bearing and helps build muscle around the area which will help supporting the damamged joint. My pup was young when it happened to her and she hasn’t had any issues since then at all.
My older golden had a fully torn ACL and we did the TPLO surgery for her. It helped a lot but she’s getting up there in years now and she still occasionally limps on it, usually the day after a lot of exercise like a hike or something.
After her surgery I did some physical therapy with her myself at home that might help your pup. You can hold the foot and place your other hand by the hip joint and just move the whole leg in a kind of circular motion, so it’s going front to back and all of the joints are bending and then stretching. You don’t need to apply much pressure, but just the movement helps. And then reverse the direction so you’d be going in a backwards circle.
Hope all of this was helpful!
Thank you. I will try those. We are just entering his fourth month and I am resigned for it to be many more months of recovery. I keep second guessing myself, perhaps that is normal. All I do, it seems to me, is watch him walk! I analyze everything!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts