Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
I don't know the logistics of operating it so maybe it is out of the picture...but I still think it is pretty darn impressive to see all of that information openly shared. Of course, flat coat database you must purchase a membership or be a member of the FCRSA.

I don't know that it would be any better or worse than keeping your eyes or ears open. Frankly I get tired of the rumor mill and gossiping that goes on and don't consider all of that information viable, either.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I agree, although I think if people were more forthcoming with information about the COD (as an example) of certain dogs then there wouldn’t be rumors, it would be known and be the truth. No one using any shred of logic could possibly think anyone wanted their dog to get lymphoma/PU/hemangio or whatever problem they have, especially if it’s something that ultimately took the dog’s life. That's why the secrecy doesn't make sense to me. It just fuels the rumor mill when it could be stopped very easily. All they have to do is give the information and let people make informed decisions. If someone is allowing their dog to be used in someone’s breeding program then they at least owe the bitch owners and puppy buyers that much. And k9data is a really easy way to do it. A very beautiful boy who I greatly admired passed away recently at a fairly young age and his breeder/owner had his k9data page updated in about 2 weeks to reflect the COD once it was known. I have a lot of respect for her for doing that.

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Michelle that is what I was thinking with the flat coat database and the extra information they have that can be put on individual dogs. Certainly if the actual owner takes the time to put in information that does not always paint the dog in the best light surely the info is likely accurate or what would be the motivation? (i.e. hemangiosarcoma, other health or behavioral problems, etc).

Recently I was really impressed to find one breeder's website list all of her breedings and the problems encountered with the various litters. Wow. Talk about open and honesty. I certainly don't expect everyone to do that and can understand why people don't...but at the same time I have a lot of respect for someone who is wiling to do that and acknowledge up front the problems that they have seen in their lines.

And I do appreciate that we have the database and the hard work that goes into it. Perhaps it might be too much work for people to sort through with our breed but I am nonetheless impressed by what type of information the flat coat people are able to (and often do) put into their database.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
There used to be an open health registry for goldens. When you signed on, you had to include all of your dogs AND agree to include all passes and all failures. Don't know what happened to it, don't know if people were forthcoming and as honest as they were supposed to be.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
thanks, I feel better. I swore it was fairly recent, but time flies these days...

Well 2009 is still 3 years ago. ;)
And I agree it was January 2009 COD was added, as that was when I moved Kizmet's COD from the "Honorifics" line.

As to why some do not add the COD, I think are afraid to admit their "perfect" dog was not perfect. Silly yes, but in general humans tend to do silly things.
A missing COD on a dog under 11 is more concerning to me than on a dog over 11.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Recently I was really impressed to find one breeder's website list all of her breedings and the problems encountered with the various litters. Wow. Talk about open and honesty.

Are you referring to Gaylan's goldens?

Genetic Diseases of Golden Retrievers

Gayle, Gaylans, keeps an INCREDIBLY WELL DETAILED history on every dog she has produced. Every possible health problem you can imagine. She is known to be pretty demanding of her puppy people, but she lets them know upfront she is that way and if they are not comfortable with it they need to go elsewhere for their pup.

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Nope actually it was someone else. I know it is a tall order, but I am impressed with what Gaylan's expects from their puppy buyers.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Gaylans has always been totally upfront, my second golden descended from her line. Star Crowned also seems to be up front..,

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Gaylans goldens are not cheap....

·
Registered
409 Posts
The OHR (Online Health Registry) was run by the same lady that runs K9 Data - Amy Raby.

If I remember correctly, a few years ago she ran into problems with the web host that was hosting K9 Data and the OHR. I think at the same time, she was working on opening K9 Data to Labs as well as Goldens and maintaining both. This was all while she was working full-time as a programmer.

I believe the decision was made to close down the OHR so that she could concentrate on expanding and improving K9 Data.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts