Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 11 yr old Siamese started having diarrhea and then vomiting so took him to the vet and he found coccidia and "some bacteria" in the fecal sample. So, he is on medicine now.
This is an inside only cat (except that he has slipped out once or twice in the past few weeks).
I have another inside cat, and of course they use the same litter boxes.
When the vet dx'ed the coccidia, I asked if that meant the other cat also had it? (She has no symptoms). He said if I wanted, to bring in a stool sample to see, and she could be asymptomatic but be a carrier.
Then after, I got to wondering if Brooks had feasted on any litter box treasures of late, and if so, could be be infected?
Does anyone have experience with one animal having coccidia in a household with other animals.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
When the kitten I adopted had coccidia I was given medication for all of my cats. The understanding I got from it was that they all would be infected. My vet never indicated there would be a problem with my dogs or myself contracting it. The only pets involved were my 5 cats.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
I have had it several times in my rescue kitties and they have never passed it to my other cats or dogs,

Reactions: Pemphredo

·
Davina
392 Posts
I have had it several times in my rescue kitties and they have never passed it to my other cats or dogs,
this is so good to hear because my puppy was just diagnosed with coccidia and I have another dog and 2 cats. I was worried they might have it too now. this made me feel better. none of my other animals are showing any signs of having it but I was still worried.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For my own peace of mind, I got the other cat tested yesterday (finally she had the goodness to poop right before my husband was heading out and was going to be driving right by the vet's office so he could drop off a fresh sample)
She was fine.

·
Davina
392 Posts
For my own peace of mind, I got the other cat tested yesterday (finally she had the goodness to poop right before my husband was heading out and was going to be driving right by the vet's office so he could drop off a fresh sample)
She was fine.
That is real good to know. thank you for the update. My puppy didn't spread it to the other animals in our house either. THANK GOD!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts