Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my vet tested the fecal sample for my 8.5 month male and it came back with a parasite “coccidia”. About a week ago he had very soft stools not formed at all. Diarrhea for the most part. I had suspected it was from the small but peanut butter I gave him and started adding his pumpkin to firm his stools. It helped and I stopped the pumpkin now for 2 days and his stools have been more firm. Sometimes the last poop of the day seems a little more soft and leaves residue on the grass but it is formed.

Anyways, I am curious if ‘Coccidia’ is very serious or not. His energy/food excitement is normal daily and he’s been completely normal. My vet has an antibiotic I will get for him tomorrow but I am curious if it would go away on its own if I didn’t give him the antibiotic?

Thanks, and from what I understand it easier for him to get “Coccidia” at this age as his immune system is still developing. I assume he had got it from a park I took him too to play fetch as there is many dogs playing fetch in the same spot throughout the day.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
My pup had coccidia (and giardia) as a baby puppy - eight weeks old. At that age, it can be very serious, they can get very sick and dehydrated very quickly. And they definitely need long courses of the meds to get rid of the parasite.

At your dog's age, they are a little more capable of fighting off the parasite themselves. But the fact that he has symptoms makes me think he needs the meds. At the very least, some metronidazole. My vet told me that adult dogs get parasites all the time and we only ever know if a routine fecal happens to catch it, but their immune systems are mature and able to just fight them off themselves with no intervention My dog tested positive for a parasite at age 3 or 4 on her annual fecal during her wellness exam and she never had any diarrhea or any other signs of feeling unwell (we did treat it, by the way).

Anytime my dog has diarrhea, I stop her kibble and go to straight rice for 24 hours to firm things up, and then I slowly start to mix in either a little bit of kibble with each meal (like 1/4 cup of kibble with 3/4 cup of rice) or some boiled chicken (again a very small amount). Usually, my dog will stop pooping as things firm up, and then when she resumes, if all seems well, I will stop the rice.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
We have had coccidia several times both in an adult and a puppy (not at the same time). The medication of choice is Albon. I would treat to help the parasite load stay low. . Since the oocysts are very resistant, it is also important to pick up all his feces right away and to disinfect his bed and inside surfaces as much as possible. You can use either a bleach/water solution (1 cup of bleach per gallon of water) or steam.

Reactions: Sweet Girl

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My pup had coccidia (and giardia) as a baby puppy - eight weeks old. At that age, it can be very serious, they can get very sick and dehydrated very quickly. And they definitely need long courses of the meds to get rid of the parasite.

At your dog's age, they are a little more capable of fighting off the parasite themselves. But the fact that he has symptoms makes me think he needs the meds. At the very least, some metronidazole. My vet told me that adult dogs get parasites all the time and we only ever know if a routine fecal happens to catch it, but their immune systems are mature and able to just fight them off themselves with no intervention My dog tested positive for a parasite at age 3 or 4 on her annual fecal during her wellness exam and she never had any diarrhea or any other signs of feeling unwell (we did treat it, by the way).

Anytime my dog has diarrhea, I stop her kibble and go to straight rice for 24 hours to firm things up, and then I slowly start to mix in either a little bit of kibble with each meal (like 1/4 cup of kibble with 3/4 cup of rice) or some boiled chicken (again a very small amount). Usually, my dog will stop pooping as things firm up, and then when she resumes, if all seems well, I will stop the rice.
Thanks! I have to give him 1.5 tablets for 10 days straight of APO SULFATRIM 400-80MG. I definitely wanted to treat it but I was just curious! Day 5 of his meds now. Hopefully this flushes it out of his system

1 - 5 of 5 Posts