Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Just found this forum. I adopted a beautiful Golden (possible X) two weeks ago and I just love him so much already.

He is very timid, hand shy, afraid of noises and new people (especially men) but we are working on these things. He had no idea how to walk on leash and we are also working on this too. He's come a long way in two weeks and I'm sure that with more love and encouragement he will be a more confident dog. He already is very loving so no improvement needed there.

I'm still having a hard time getting him to heel while we walk so I'd appreciate any advice from others who have had timid dogs.
Best to all,
C's Mom

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your adoption! Glad you found us. There are many people here who have adopted and rescued dogs with similar backgrounds to yours and I am sure they will jump right in with some suggestions soon enough.

How old is your dog? I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of him!

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the welcome.

Cocasse is 13 months old and weighed 55 pounds when I brought him home - (I'm pretty sure he's put on a pound or two in the last two weeks since I've brought him home. I changed his food and he loves treats -lol). Is 55 pounds too much weight/too little?

For saftey concerns I really need some tips on how to get him to heel. Two weeks ago if he was afraid of a noise or people walking near him he would try to run off. Of course, this is dangerous and scary for us both. He no longer tries to run away but either hides behind me or tries to slink away. I know its going to take time and I'm happy to give him the time he needs.
He is very nervous when walking on a side street and we haven't attempted a main street yet but I know that we must walk on the main streets soon. I do take him to the bottom of the street and we practise sit and stay just before we get to the main street so that he can get used to all the noises and people. Of course, he doesn't like this one bit but it must be done. He is due for a booster shot and I must get him used to walking to the vets (3 blocks away from my home).

I'm sorry if I'm babbling or my if my post is too long but I so want to help my sweet boy. Did I mention that he is a sweet, loving dog who is perfectly behaved in the house?

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to GRF and thank you for adopting. I would suggest a small obedience class to both help socialize your new charge and help with the loose lead walking. Please make yourself at home here and post some pictures when you get a chance.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I want to welcome you to the forum,
It sounds like he is doing well for the short length of time he has been with you. Like OaklysDad suggests, I would find a good obedience class. That will help the bonding between the two of you and build confidence. When you do walk with him use confident tones with him and lots of praise when he is doing good.

What kind of leash are your using? Like a regular leash attached to the collar or something like a harness? I would get a harness so he cant slip out of his collar when he gets nervous. In time I think he will improve with the confidence of knowing he is in his furever home.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know if it was posting here or not but I actually took him for a short walk on the main street next to our home and he did so well! I gave him lots of praise. He was nervous but he didn't try to run away or slink away once. I'm so proud of him.
Will continue to practice everyday and do the walk in the opposite direction thing when he tries to walk ahead on leash and take me for a walk.

I like the harness idea and will look into it. I am going to take him to obedience class once he gets his walking down - wouldn't be able to even get him to a neighborhood class at the moment.
Thanks for the suggestions.
(Am trying to figure out how to put some pics up.)

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
hi -- sounds like you guys will be a good team. Even thu you didn't get a pup, you'll be getting to watch him "grow".

I'm a fan of the gentle leader easy walk harness. My little poorbred has some "issues" & with this harness I feel secure walking/controlling him if necessary.

I think his problems are what beginning obedience is about teaching you to work on

what's his name???

(eagerly awaiting pics)

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have found a really sweet boy :) I look forward to seeing pictures, and hearing about his improvements as he flourishes in your home.

In regards to your question about weight - not knowing his height or seeing a picture of him, I would say 55lbs is a bit on the light side for a 13 month old male. But you also mentioned that he might be a mix, and if that were the case - depending on what he is mixed with...he could be at a perfect weight or even too heavy!

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In regards to your question about weight - not knowing his height or seeing a picture of him, I would say 55lbs is a bit on the light side for a 13 month old male. But you also mentioned that he might be a mix, and if that were the case - depending on what he is mixed with...he could be at a perfect weight or even too heavy!
I would love to post some pictures of him but I'm afraid I don't know how to do so on this site. My avatar is a pic of him and I have two others (have to download other pics from camera). I'll experiment and hopefully get it right.

He seems very long in body to me but that could be because he is underweight/mixed? I'll measure him and post the numbers. 2 weeks ago you could really feel all his ribs but not so much now. I don't know what kind of food he was given in the shelters (he was in at least two) but I changed his food to Orijen and he is doing great. Gained some weight, brighter eyes and softer coat.

When I first met him at the shelter (I volunteer there as a dog walker) he was a beautiful dog who had the saddest eyes. I had not planned on adopting a dog but all it took was one walk and that was it. He trusted me and I fell in love with him. By the time I took him back to his pen I don't know who was kissing the other more - lol.

When I got him home I was expecting the house to be torn apart and piddled on from one end to the other but none of that has occured. He is so well behaved, gentle and loving. Now I know why Golden owners are so crazy about these dogs.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so I measured Cocasse as best I could (he was wiggling a great deal) and he is about 23" at the withers. (I also measured 27" from base of neck to beginning of tail but I'm sure I'm off by an inch give or take). When we go to the vet I will ask him to measure him properly so that I can gauge his growth.

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
Welcome to being owned by a Golden. I'm glad you joined the board, he is a beautiful boy, thank you for adopting him.

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
23" at shoulders is about right for a Golden. I would guess he looks lean and leggy because he does need a few more pounds on him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts