Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's discuss coat conditioning...

Do you do anything extra above & beyond feeding a quality food?
If so...
What product(s) do you like best?
How often do you use it?
In what ways (pre/post brush, bath, show, blow dry, etc)?
Likes/Dislikes

I ordered Ice on Ice by Chris Christenson. I know that you aren't supposed to brush a dry coat... (and I have been doing that:curtain:)... so I bought the Ice on Ice conditioner to spray on before brushing. Gibbs has an incredibly soft coat. Everyone that pets him remarks about it so if the spray doesn't do anything, that's ok too. I just used the spray this afternoon. I had to let it thaw since it arrived frozen solid and partially exploded from 3c's supply. Yikes.

·
16,000 Posts
What is your goal?
A correct Golden coat is not soft. Over-conditioning is as bad as not conditioning. The best way to care for a coat is to keep it clean, and to feed a high quality diet, and choose a dog with good genetics.
Weekly baths, light conditioner or oil on ends to prevent/repair breakage, daily brushing with a mist of water (if you want to, add a couple of DROPS of a conditioner to improve slippage), and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is your goal?
A correct Golden coat is not soft. Over-conditioning is as bad as not conditioning. The best way to care for a coat is to keep it clean, and to feed a high quality diet, and choose a dog with good genetics.
Weekly baths, light conditioner or oil on ends to prevent/repair breakage, daily brushing with a mist of water (if you want to, add a couple of DROPS of a conditioner to improve slippage), and you should be good to go.
He still has some puppy coat, so it is pretty soft and fluffy yet. We feed a quality kibble and he has a nice pedigree behind him, all of which have very nice coats. I plan to show him once he matures. His first show won't be until the summer at our club's specialty. So, I guess my goal is to have a good looking, well kept coat by then. I'll be seeing his breeder this weekend and we need to schedule a little trim on the feet and ears. I plan to ask her about her routine for puppies then. I'm just curious about what other people also do for their dogs.

Can I mist with a water + Ice on Ice diluted combo when I brush daily?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I do spray Ice on Ice on the hair ends before I brush. The CC brushes are really nice too. The nails get trimmed once a week and the hair around the paws get trimmed up once a week to help with cleaning paws after a walk. Ditto with PG's reply. She has been a wealth of great information.

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
I was bathing weekly and blowing dry using a force air dryer. But--since I decided we're going to wait another year to mature I have let that slip.

Stay away from cockleburrs. We had a grooming presentation last night at our club meeting and the groomer (who has been showing/grooming for years) said that if you get just one in a show dog you are SOL no matter what you do because something will tear :( That's the hardest for me to avoid--we love the outdoors!

·
16,000 Posts
I was bathing weekly and blowing dry using a force air dryer. But--since I decided we're going to wait another year to mature I have let that slip.

Stay away from cockleburrs. We had a grooming presentation last night at our club meeting and the groomer (who has been showing/grooming for years) said that if you get just one in a show dog you are SOL no matter what you do because something will tear :( That's the hardest for me to avoid--we love the outdoors!

I disagree. They are dogs, Sporting dogs. They need to be out. Burrs happen, It's what you do to get them out that makes the difference, and tearing out a few hairs is not going to be the deciding factor as to whether your dog wins or not.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
The hair breaks and frays more easily if you brush dry.

I would not be using Ice on Ice as a coat dressing for routine daily brushing. It is silicone based so will build up in the coat and dry it out. Do as PG suggested and put a bit of conditioner (a dog conditioner like CC's Day-to-Day, or Refurbish, or Isle of Dogs, or even just Pantene if you have it around) diluted in water in a spray bottle. Or use a non-silicone grooming spray like Eric Strickland's that is intended to maintain correct coat texture in a Golden.

As for burrs, I upland hunt my JAM dog--he finds burrs (and other things!!) but I am not going to stop letting him do what he loves to save coat! I just keep a bottle of human hair straightening serum in my gun bag. I apply it directly to the burr, work it in with my fingers and the burr tends to kind of come apart and release from the coat much better. Cowboy Magic works well for this too. I do this before I leave the field. Then when I get home I throw him in the tub to rinse out the silicone. If I know we are going to be in really burry territory I will sometimes pretreat his furnishings and that seems to help the stickage from being too terrible, and I still rinse once I get home.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
I disagree. They are dogs, Sporting dogs. They need to be out. Burrs happen, It's what you do to get them out that makes the difference, and tearing out a few hairs is not going to be the deciding factor as to whether your dog wins or not.
Absolutely--I have a friend with IRW setters who will not let them work birds despite their having some instinct for it. They might get a burr, or get dirty!!! What a travesty!!!

By contrast another friend who had the top sporting dog last year with a homebred Irish regularly lets her crew, including the full-coat special, roam her back forty. Happy, balanced dogs!

·
16,000 Posts
The hair breaks and frays more easily if you brush dry.

I would not be using Ice on Ice as a coat dressing for routine daily brushing. It is silicone based so will build up in the coat and dry it out. Do as PG suggested and put a bit of conditioner (a dog conditioner like CC's Day-to-Day, or Refurbish, or Isle of Dogs, or even just Pantene if you have it around) diluted in water in a spray bottle. Or use a non-silicone grooming spray like Eric Strickland's that is intended to maintain correct coat texture in a Golden.

As for burrs, I upland hunt my JAM dog--he finds burrs (and other things!!) but I am not going to stop letting him do what he loves to save coat! I just keep a bottle of human hair straightening serum in my gun bag. I apply it directly to the burr, work it in with my fingers and the burr tends to kind of come apart and release from the coat much better. Cowboy Magic works well for this too. I do this before I leave the field. Then when I get home I throw him in the tub to rinse out the silicone. If I know we are going to be in really burry territory I will sometimes pretreat his furnishings and that seems to help the stickage from being too terrible, and I still rinse once I get home.

I was informed some time ago that Ice On Ice is not silicaone based. I've not confirmed that. But, for misting, I'd prefer to use a couple of drops of an oil or cream based conditioner - you don't need much at all to help increase "slip" (the ability of the brush or comb to glide through the coat).

I do avoid silicone products, but they are great for dogs in the field - as long as you routinely wash it out. ALL products need to be washed out to prevent build-up.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
I was informed some time ago that Ice On Ice is not silicaone based. I've not confirmed that. But, for misting, I'd prefer to use a couple of drops of an oil or cream based conditioner - you don't need much at all to help increase "slip" (the ability of the brush or comb to glide through the coat).

I do avoid silicone products, but they are great for dogs in the field - as long as you routinely wash it out. ALL products need to be washed out to prevent build-up.
Absolutely the wash-out is key. As my handler friends say to me, "Clean coat grows! Dirty coat breaks!"

Ice on Ice has dimethicone in it which is a polymerized silicone. It is less thick and gloppy than the original silicones that were used in products like "The Stuff". But still silicone by a new name. That's why I prefer to just use some of the conditioner I have super-diluted like you do. Better for the coat and more affordable!!

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We go on an off leash walk everyday. Sometimes we go to the woods and walk on the trails. Getting dirty and picking up some burrs are a part of our life. I just want to be able to salvage the coat when we come home. This has all been very good and helpful advice. Thank you!

·
16,000 Posts
Absolutely. As my handler friends say to me, "Clean coat grows! Dirty coat breaks!"

Ice on Ice has dimethicone in it which is a polymerized silicone. It is less thick and gloppy than the original silicones that were used in products like "The Stuff". But still silicone by a new name.
I'd never read the ingredients, but I sure thought it did... the coat feels slippery when used (not like The Stuff, which was DANGEROUS! - Seriously, don't get any on the floor - hit that wearing socks and you're on your keister in a NY minute...). Silicone dries out the hair shaft quickly.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
I'd never read the ingredients, but I sure thought it did... the coat feels slippery when used (not like The Stuff, which was DANGEROUS! - Seriously, don't get any on the floor - hit that wearing socks and you're on your keister in a NY minute...). Silicone dries out the hair shaft quickly.
OMG yes! I remember when The Stuff first came out here--people spraying it willy-nilly in arenas with polished concrete floors...you can imagine. Yikes!!!

·
16,000 Posts
OMG yes! I remember when The Stuff first came out here--people spraying it willy-nilly in arenas with polished concrete floors...you can imagine. Yikes!!!
We had a bather/brusher working for us one summer. She mixed up a spray bottle of The Stuff. Didn't diulute it quite enough... A client went home, and their Golden, who Erin had liberally sprayed with her concoction, had been laying on their wood floor. She got up, and left the rom, and Jay walked over where she'd been laying, wearing socks, and did a cartoon prat fall - flew up in the air and right down on his arse. His wife, Judy,(who always asked for The Stuff to be used) told me he croaked "Who waxed the dog???"

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Well that's encouraging....I just hear about other people being so careful and then being told that about burrs...

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Well that's encouraging....I just hear about other people being so careful and then being told that about burrs...
Piffle! Those people are putting showing above the dog doing what it is supposed to do. Cute, and fluffy, and profuse coat are not descriptors found in the standard for a reason. If we lose function we lose type. Keep working your girl, and just take care of her coat when you come in. She'll be in true hard working condition when she is ready to show. See that dirty mess in my avatar with the pheasant? He is a GRCC National JAM, and multi BOB dog. He also won the Field dog class in 2007, and Gun Dog last summer in part because of his working fitness--the judge had us go around that big specialty ring 3 times before she let us stop and he just kept sailing. I was sucking wind, but he was hardly panting. Chasing birds never hurt him with judges who know the standard. If they were going to put a dog up based on coat alone then they are probably not a judge I want to win under.

Sorry, my pet peeve. Keeping the retrieve in the Golden retriever!

Reactions: jenherrin

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Piffle! Those people are putting showing above the dog doing what it is supposed to do. Cute, and fluffy, and profuse coat are not descriptors found in the standard for a reason. If we lose function we lose type. Keep working your girl, and just take care of her coat when you come in. She'll be in true hard working condition when she is ready to show.

Sorry, my pet peeve. Keeping the retrieve in the Golden retriever!
Oh good! I was starting to think that if I wanted to get serious about showing her I'd have to be very careful about field training if I did it at all when I got to that point. We've got about a year though.

·
16,000 Posts
Trust me. My dogs are NOT kept under glass. In fact, they are PIGS! :doh: Zoom loves nothing better than mud and dirt. They all are out digging and running and rolling around in the dirt, and swimming and in general being permitted to be DOGS. They all have wonderful coats. The key, truly, (aside from genetics) and good diet, is frequent bathing. and remember - a Golden is NOT supposed to have looooong coat! They are NOT setters. A judge will better appreciate a dog in good hard condition with a coat that is obviously healthy, and shiny, of the correct texture, than one that is excessive, soft, and worn by a dog that is obviously being kept as a hot house flower.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I find that cowboy magic detangling gel is wonderful for removing burrs. Just rub a tiny bit in the hair around the burr and it will comb right out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.