Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was approached today about co-owning three ways on a puppy. I would have him for performance and he'd live here for the most part, but pack his bags and head to shows with another owner who actually likes conformation, which I'm ok with for the most part. I guess a lot of details would have to get ironed out before I agreed to it....

Any good/bad stories I should hear? PM's are fine too....

Lana

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
The only question that comes to my mind is who takes precedence (sp?) if there are conflicting events?

·
16,000 Posts
Who is responsible for what? And I mean every "what"... Food, routine vet care, emergency vet care, entries, handlers fees, etc. If he is injured doing one venue, and it affects him doing another, how will that be handled? What about coat care and conditioning for the show vs possible damage to the coat while in the field? How are entries determined in order to avoid conflicts? If the dog is to be used for breeding, who manages his stud career and what is done with fees?

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
I co-own Breeze. For her first three years she lived with my friend/co-owner Carol. While she was there Carol paid for all the day to day expenses. The vet bills and professional training costs were split down the middle. Now that she is living with me, the roles are reversed, I pay for the day to day and any extra costs are split. Down the road, when/if we decide to breed her, the expenses are divided. So far it has worked out great.

We had a modified deal when we planned Trips' litter. She owned, outright, his mom. I paid for all the expenses for the breeding (travel, pre-birth vet care, ultrasound, etc.) and in exchange, I got pick puppy. Worked great, except poor Trip is the only unsound puppy out of the litter. But that's the chance you take and I love him so much, who cares if I can't compete with him! I would much rather had him then someone else, because I know I would do what it takes to take care of him. (Does that make sense?)

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still undecided.... varies from day to day and hour to hour as to if I will go for it... sigh.

Lana

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,602 Posts
In addition to the "dog" items already mentioned, be very carefull with "Who" you consider going into partnership with. There have been many co-owners who have been burned when one partner gets in trouble and is suspended.

Pick your partners carefully if you choose to go that route.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts