Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We get our new puppy in about 3-4 weeks. I always took my last golden to have her nails done, but I want to do it myself this time. I am just afraid to hurt them. What do you use? Guillotine style, side cutters, or one of the rotary tools.

I heard the dremel works well. I don't know about the new advertised rotary sander type tool. I would rater just use cutters. Has anyone used the cutters that find the quick & warns you if you are too close?

I am just a fraidy cat, but I want to learn.

·
Chloe and Cedar's Mom
718 Posts
It takes me forever to do Chloe's nails.. I trim each one slowly. Just keep taking a little off at a time and when I see im getting close i move on to the next one.. I hate trimming her nails, but its gotta be done. and she hates it as well. fights back hard, and she is a real suck and hates going to the groomers so I dont want to traumatize her. Luckily she bites her nails so I dont have to trim them all.. lol she gets that habit from her mommy.. lol

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I use a "plier/by-pass pruner" style clipper. maybe your breeder can be a resource for you on this. They can show how to and what they use. From what I hear the new "pet grinders" are not powerful enough for an adult dog's nails. The cordless dremels seem to be the tool of choice among those that use a grinder.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I prefer a dremel, but still use the by-pass clippers every now and again to keep the dogs used to it...
IMO - the trick is to start the puppy young and trim 'a little bit' and do it often.

The hardest part is to teach a pup to be still...but teaching a puppy is sooo MUCH easier then teaching an adult dog.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
for little puppy small regular(people)clippers work just fine.I am using big (people )clippers on Honey with no problem.We do this every other week.Holmes ,(my beagle),it another story.His nails are so tuff he goes to vet only.If you decide to go with rotary tool go to Lowe's ot Home depot and get a regular dremel.Work just fine.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I start out by handling my pup all over all the time. I hold the feet , touch all parts of the body. At first I will hold them in my lap and use a regular nail clippers.. just taking the tiny sharp point off. In a short while I go up to toe nail clippers.. While doing their training I teach the " wait " command. Once they learn this.. I will say wait. and tap a nail with the guillotine clipper.. then treat.. I practice once a day. When they are calm I clip one or two, only the tip and move on. Gradually working my up to more and more.. Before long I can do one toe, treat, and move to all of them. Now I do an entire foot.. they don't fight me at all, in fact when they see the clipper and the bowl of treats they come running to me. :D

·
Registered
356 Posts
Start young & do it often. I used people clippers until the nails got too thick to fit. Then I went to guilitene (can't spell). I always use a flashlight, I shine it through each nail to find the quick. After I cut all the nails I file them. I used to use a file, but my hands cramp up, so now I use pedipaws for a file. I am happy with it as a file, I always have sharp edges when i trim. I did both my dog's nails today :)

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
I use the Dremel on mine and they are fine with it or clippers. Cruiser LOVES the Dremel

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I use a cordless dremel...love it. By using the dremel it is easy to round them off at the end so there are no pointy edges.

·
Griff's a Muffin Thief!
3,165 Posts
I start out by handling my pup all over all the time. I hold the feet , touch all parts of the body. At first I will hold them in my lap and use a regular nail clippers.. just taking the tiny sharp point off. In a short while I go up to toe nail clippers.. While doing their training I teach the " wait " command. Once they learn this.. I will say wait. and tap a nail with the guillotine clipper.. then treat.. I practice once a day. When they are calm I clip one or two, only the tip and move on. Gradually working my up to more and more.. Before long I can do one toe, treat, and move to all of them. Now I do an entire foot.. they don't fight me at all, in fact when they see the clipper and the bowl of treats they come running to me. :D
Boy that's good! I need to use this to re-train Griff - he's a booger about me cutting his nails! I usually manage just the fronts or just the backs - eventually they all get done - and his reward is always walkies around the neighborhood which files down the rough edges quite nicely.

Best wishes - lots of foot rubs for the wee pup! (Never tickle!)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks so much for al the responses/suggestions. My last golden was good for the groomer to cut them, I started young handling her feet. I just never did them myself. This time I plan on doing them myself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts