Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am a new Golden Retriever mom! I just adopted a 9 month old Golden. He is doing pretty well in adjustments at his new house. We do have a few "issues" that need to be worked out with him. He still mouths and nips a lot (which I guess is common still at his age), he jumps up a lot especially on my 2 kids (10 and 5).

So after careful research I have found a dog school that has a class on click training. I like the idea of positive reinforcement. Have any of you tried click training and would you recommend it?

Thanks for any help! This forum has been a tremendous help just in the four weeks we have had Lucky Pup!

Beth--Lucky's mom

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Clicker training is a lot of fun and a great way to engage the brain!
It is how many complex 'tricks' are taught.
Go for it!!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
There is a TON of info online and on this site about clicker training....read..read...read before taking the class. You will feel much more prepared..

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your information! I have him signed up but my SIL said she tried the clicker (without training) and it was worthless. She had me worried I was wrong and this would not be beneficial for Lucky and us!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
classes are pretty much about training the trainer. Before I went to a class that.utilized clickers, I thought it would be awkward (not so). my guy was 7 or 8 months & picked it up fast, as did the other dogs in class

·
Winchestersonfieldville
1,328 Posts
Clicker training is a fabulous way to train dogs. The key is to train yourself first, before you even introduce the clicker to Lucky.

I found this link awhile back. It's a 7 day training on clicker training. If you want all of them at once you can PM me your email and I can send them to you.
http://www.canisclickertraining.com/newsletter/

Another great resource is youtube. Search for clicker training and you will find a ton of videos. Not all of them are great, but some are and explain the process.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all very much for the resources! I have been reading even more than what I started with. I have read (and truly believe) it is me and the family that need the training. This is our first family dog and we are all very excited!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.