Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just brought home our 8 week old pup, Layla---the runt of a litter of 6. The vet checked her out and said she had no health problems, though she is small for her age (about 6 pounds). One thing we did notice, however, was she has a cleft nose! Just how some people have ''butt-chins,'' her nose is very prominently ''split'' down the middle, while still all black.

I am sure she is a purebreed Golden, as we bought from a reputable Louisiana breeder complete with AKC papers, pedigree, etc.
Has anyone else ever experienced this? Does it somehow fuse together with age? It is definitely something everyone has commented on, and I want to know if it is an issue or genetic defect.

It doesn't bother me one way or another, but I ask for curiosity's sake.

Thanks!

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Hmmmm Im not quite sure what you mean....

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Your Layla is a cute pup. I have never seen a cleft nose before. I can't imagine that it would grow together on its own but as long as the nose works fine I wouldn't change a thing.

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
Wow-that is different. As long as the vet doesn't see any problems with it, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
That is so interesting!!! I think as long as it isn't bothering her and the vet doesn't see a problem, I say enjoy her uniqueness.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Just one more thing that makes her special! As long as there doesn't seem to be any breathing issues and the vet doesn't see any problems, I wouldn't worry.

She's a doll, congratulations!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Her breeder didn't know what to say! She had never seen it in previous litters, or with any of the dogs in her pedigree.

I do agree with many of your replies---if she doesn't have or develop any breathing problems :crossfing , I'm perfectly happy with such a unique pup!

Thank you all for your kind words :)

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Very cute pup, but from a $$ standpoint, I would get xrays or sonograms done. Cleft palate in humans, very often entails other internal deformities that could affect her breathing, eating and swallowing. I don't believe an external check is enough at this point.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
and to answer your questions....in humans at least, the deformity does not fuse together, it is usually surgically repaired, and it is a genetic deformity. As I stated in the earlier post, it can affect internal parts that are less obvious. This might explain why she is slightly smaller than her siblings. (the soft palate can have a small or tiny hole affecting eating swallowing and breathing).

1 - 20 of 45 Posts