Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,589 Posts
As was said above, the minimum necessary clearances for a Golden are

OFA elbows, done after age 2. Can be done by your vet but must be sent to OFA (www.offa.org ) to be read.

OFA hips or PennHip, done after age 2. Your vet can probably do the OFA view but PennHip must be done by specially trained and certified vets.

OFA heart, done after 1 year of age. Should be done by a veterinary cardiologist.

CERF eyes, done annually at 1 year of age and thereafter. Must be done by a veterniary opthamologist.

The stud must have these clearances also.

And, as Mary mentioned, it is best to try to ensure that your girl, and the stud dog you chose, are properly structured, as improper structure can lead to structural weaknesses and potential injuries. One way to do this is to have your dog evaluated as part of a CCA (Conformation Certification Assessment) put on by the Golden Retriever Club of America. This is a wonderful, non-competitive way to have your dog evaluated by individuals knowledgeable in the breed.

And, in order to try to produce the healthiest puppies possible, the parents, grandparents and great grandparents of both the stud dog and your girl should have these same clearances.

·
Registered
10,589 Posts
Actually, reputable breeders who want to produce healthy puppies always do all of those clearances. The heart clearance is especially important because of the severity of the heart problem that afflicts Goldens-it can cause sudden death. I certainly want to do everything within my power to ensure that I don't sell a puppy that is going to drop deap while playing with its owners.

·
Registered
10,589 Posts
Remember, hip and elbow clearances before the age of 2 are considered preliminary only, and will be so noted on the OFA website, and must be redone after the age of 2 in order to be considered final clearances. While some Master Breeders will breed based on prelims, they are few and far between. I have been in Goldens over 30 years, and have owned and bred several champion and titled dogs, and I in no way consider myself a Master Breeder. And regardless, I never refer people to litters where one or more parent has only a preliminary clearance.

Some breeders do prelims but I personally don't. I start doing eyes at one year of age, and then annually thereafter until at least age 10. Hearts I will do at least once, after one year of age. I like to get another heart check done around 5 or 6 years of age, just because :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.