Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but couldn't get any results for this topic. I thought it would be fun to share any tips or tricks you have for keeping a "clean" house with a Golden. Favorite products? Maggie is our first so I am in the learning stage. Our Dyson gets used almost daily and we installed LVP flooring in the areas by the door to outside and kitchen. Swifter makes it easy too pick up loose hair at night before bed.
I am currently searching for a good door rug that is absorbent and can be washed. Any have a ruggable? I am hearing very mixed reviews on this.

Would love to hear any thoughts.

Jules

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I searched but couldn't get any results for this topic. I thought it would be fun to share any tips or tricks you have for keeping a "clean" house with a Golden. Favorite products? Maggie is our first so I am in the learning stage. Our Dyson gets used almost daily and we installed LVP flooring in the areas by the door to outside and kitchen. Swifter makes it easy too pick up loose hair at night before bed.
I am currently searching for a good door rug that is absorbent and can be washed. Any have a ruggable? I am hearing very mixed reviews on this.

Would love to hear any thoughts.

Jules
I have a Roomba and run it every day. It's great for picking up dust and pet hair. I also use my regular vacuum for deeper cleaning, but the Roomba is great for maintenance.

I have polypropylene rugs (recycled plastic) which are surprisingly very soft, much less expensive than wool rugs, and work great with pets. I found out about them while doing research after I had to get rid of my wool rugs because my Golden was highly allergic to wool.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just recently (end of September) got my second golden after previously having one golden and a poodle mix. I underestimated the hair situation. Like woah. My best advice is to buy the best vacuum you can afford for your budget and keep it busy. Also making peace with the fact that nothing will ever be hair free again is sort of a sanity saver.

For door rugs I recommend the Dirty Dog Doormats. They’re microfiber and super absorbent. We always get the runners because we have a dog door, so we position the rug right in front of it and they always get 3-4 steps in on it before they hit the actual floor. It’s machine washable but the downside is that I wouldn’t recommend drying it in the dryer. We’ve destroyed one that way (backing disintegrated) and they can be pricey. I still think they’re worth it though.

·
Super Moderator Leader
46,340 Posts
I currently only have 1 golden, I had 2 for many years.

I'm currently using a Bissell Pet Hair Eraser vacuum that I've had for many years. it still works great. I vacuum weekly but go over my laminate flooring daily with either a broom or a swiffer. I mop my floors using a water/white vinegar mixture. I also clean my bathrooms with it because my boy sleeps in either in the bathtub or shower often during the summer monnths.

I have a doormat at every door entrance in/out of my house that is a recycled plastic product, it catches a lot of dirt, grass and hair before it gets into the house.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have 1 Golden and 1 Beagle. I too forgot how much fur dogs drop. I also am a house cleaner. I have wood floors and use a microfiber cloth attached to my swifter pole. I go over my floors daily or every other day. I then just open the door and clean off the cloth outside so it's good for next time. I like it because I can wash it and I'm not forever buying the swifter re-fills. I agree about the vacuum. Buy the best one you can afford. Sharks are nice. I have a Bissell myself. Not a big fan of the Roombas but I suppose if you have a big open area they are ok for in-between cleaning. My dogs come in through our porch that has carpet tiles down so I can't help you on the rug suggestion.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies! I just ordered a Dirty Dog Runner so we will see how that works. We live in such a wet environment and with 3, it is a bit hard to make them wait to wipe paws. Hopefully this will do most of the wiping!
I like the idea of the microfiber to catch the hair. I too do not like using all the swiffer refills. I have a microfiber mop that I just love.

I wish we could have a roomba but too much carpet. I totally agree with a good vaccuum. We are currently looking at carpet cleaners. So far, the Bissell Revolution Pet Pro is in the lead.

Jules

·
Kate
20,864 Posts
I'm literally thinking about getting a commercial vacuum... :)

The other vacuums just don't handle the volume of hair, dust, birdseed, etc - nothing like the vacuums we used to have AGES ago before they came out with the bagless crap. >.<

Have literally gone through so many different models and brands and drives me nuts about how they don't last. They will work a while and then stop sucking and need repairs. And again, old vacuums went years without needing repairs!

/rant

Anyway - aside from my vacuum cleaner frustrations, we keep the house clean by sweeping. I even sweep the carpets before vacuuming. And majority of floors where the dogs hang out are tile floors - which I mop once a week.

My bedroom has a tile floor (which I LOVE) and I just throw a dorm rug in the middle which I vacuum once a week. <== Should say that inevitably there's always bits and pieces of paper or empty water bottles or whatnot which I'm picking up before bedtime every night, but it stays mostly clean and it's dog colored so easy to fool me if it's not 100% dog hair free before the next vacuum. LOL.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the replies! I just ordered a Dirty Dog Runner so we will see how that works. We live in such a wet environment and with 3, it is a bit hard to make them wait to wipe paws. Hopefully this will do most of the wiping!
I’m so glad you decided to try the Dirty Dog mats. We really love ours (we even buy them for gifts for other pet people). It’s not a perfect solution but it helps a lot. Plus the dogs love to lay on it since it’s so cushy, lol. Two 80lb dogs squeezed on to one runner is a pretty funny sight. Just remember not to dry it!

As far as vacuums go I think a commercial vacuum isn’t a terrible idea. We got a v10 dyson stick vac a month or two ago... I like it. Great sub for a broom but to get our main area rug done I have to empty that sucker 4-5 times if I’m not vacuuming every single day (and that just ain’t me). I picked up a shark apex last night so I hope that works. Our regular dyson kind of crapped out after about 10 yrs.

Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Last winter I picked up an inexpensive dog dryer that I use on both boys when it's raining; it really helped cut back the "wet dog" smell that just seemed to permeate the house last winter (we get mostly rain, although the town we live in had snow one day in Dec. 2014, so that's not impossible).

I also use a Shark steam mop for weekly floor cleaning on our tile/hardwood (not a huge fan of chemicals in general), and use a dust mop every couple of days for a quick pickup. As much as we adore Barkley, he sheds like a mother - more than any other golden we've ever had - so I've had to up my cleanup game since adding him to the family. He's worth it though :)

We have the Dirty Dog mats by both the slider to the backyard and the doggie door - those are THE BEST for helping dry wet paws from outside! You'll love it!

ps
we have a Dyson for vacuuming, but our downstairs is tile/hardwood, carpet on the stairs and upstairs, so no specific rec's on a vacuum

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We used to have a Kirby. Lasted about 20 years but was so heavy! We have 2 Dyson's, one upstairs and 1 down. I like them but just like DScritchy I spend a lot of time emptying the canister.
We need to re-carpet very badly and will be choosing a Golden friendly color! We thought about removing it all and keeping the LVP throughout but I like the warmth and the sound deadening of the carpet.
Tried the Swiffer with a microfiber cloth last night. It worked great. The hair just stripped right off outside.
Can't wait to get my rug!!

A dog dryer is certainly a must. I could not get anyone to ship one to me so I use a shop vac! Works great.

Jules

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I forgot to say one important thing I did. Undercoat rake and slicker brush outside for about ten minutes each day. That did more than anything, I think.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Update on vacuum situation... we bought the shark on Sunday, I set it up yesterday turned it on and promptly wanted to pitch it out the door. To be fair we have a very dense, low pile wool area rug that wants to hold on to every bit of undercoat that gets deposited but not only did it not pickup well, it was heavier than my dyson canister and those “wrap free” beater bars were so tangled with hair they wouldn’t turn after 5 minutes.

At this point I’ve brought home a brand new, big boy dyson canister (build quality has way gone down hill, the motorhead refused to stay up when moving the vacuum, too heavy, I just hated it)... returned. The v10 animal stick vac (useful but impractical for the scope of the mess and still a little slow), we kept it because of the versatility. Then it was the shark (which I would like to give the virtual finger to).

Yesterday afternoon I was so fed up I called a local vacuum dealer (they sell simplicity, Miele, and Riccar, plus or minus a couple brands). I spent 20 minutes venting my woes during which he both laughed at my ridiculousness (fair, lol) and sympathized, then offered to lone me a vacuum he though would be a good fit, free of charge, to see if it will work. So I have a Riccar r25 deluxe downstairs waiting for some hair to build up so I can put it through it’s paces. Fingers crossed...but jeez. You just can’t beat local service man!

·
Maegan
451 Posts
We have two Roombas - one for each floor - and they do ok on the carpet. I love the Roombas, BUT they are a lot of work. I have to do maintenance on the downstairs one about twice a week or it will do weird things. As far as vacuums go, we have a Dyson Animal upright vacuum and it really does well, especially on the carpet. And it has attachments for the hard floors, stairs, couch, mattress, upholstery, etc.

However, if I could afford one, I would totally get a Rainbow. My mom has had one for about as long as I can remember and nothing cleans carpets like a Rainbow. I also love that you can take all of the attachments off and run it and it will cycle the air in your house. My mom puts Eucalyptus oil in the water and everyone breathes better for awhile.

If you get an undercoat rake, make sure it's a Mars Coat King, NOT a Furminator. Furminators break the guard hairs and made my dog shed worse actually...

·
Registered
254 Posts
We hired a housekeeper and came to peace with dust kitties, couch covers, hard floors/low pile carpet, and the fact that within minutes of our housekeeper cleaning there will be dog hair on things again! :)

We have a small house and the dogs come in from the yard and directly across the living room rug. We do have a version of the dirty dog rug in front of that door, which helps, but the living room rug has to be cleaned at least seasonally (even if it weren't for muddy feet, my girl has spay incontinence so...yeah, the rug gets spot cleaned pretty much weekly as well...).

Thankfully, we don't have many guests, and those we have are dog lovers!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
If you get an undercoat rake, make sure it's a Mars Coat King, NOT a Furminator. Furminators break the guard hairs and made my dog shed worse actually...
I don't like Furminators at all. Seem like they destroy the dogs coat. I always used something simple like this:

I've not seen the Mars Coat King before. It looks cool. I had a basic undercoat rake and a slicker brush. Luke hardly ever had mats, but I also had a dematter in case he got one.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
We have 2 Roombas that run daily, one for each floor of the house. I splurged and got the ones that dock and empty their bins automatically, and then will go back out and vacuum until the floor is done. Annoyingly, the dust bin in the dock is a cloth bag so that is a replaceable item, but me not having to manually empy the Roomba bin really helps with my allergies.

It's time to shampoo the carpets again... and adding a dog dryer to my gifts list :)

Any suggestions for getting hair off furniture and clothing, other than the sticky rollers? I was looking at reviews for these ChomChom rollers with fabric brushes and was wondering how effective they are.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Love this question! Brushing daily definitely makes a different in my opinion. We have wood floors but I always use the pet bisell vacuum since it does a great job at picking up all the accumulated hair. Anybody have a good suggestion for hair on clothes? I have gotten used to it but I was looking into things for the washing machine that traps the hair. Anybody have an idea if it works?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts