Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 14 month old male who has not been neutered as I am waiting until 2 years as recommended by my breeder. That being said- I find drop marks all over my hardwood floor from his smegma . I have tried several things to clean it off without success . Any recommendations?

·
Super Moderator Leader
52,742 Posts
I would spray the spots with Odoban, it's a pet friendly disinfectant. Let it sit for a few minutes then wipe up using a magic eraser.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
What exactly is your dog doing around the house? o_O
I was just going to ask this as well! I don't think it's typical for male dogs to drip anything when they're in the house... certainly my dogs never have, even when they race back in immediately after peeing. My boy does sometimes pee on the long fur in front of his penis if I don't keep them trimmed, but I don't think they usually drip. I'd suggest trimming any fur that your dog may be peeing on, but if that doesn't fix your problem then it's worth mentioning to your vet... :confused:

As far as cleaning... I have a girl who battled incontinence for 6 years so I got to be a pro at quick clean ups. For quick cleanups like you're describing, vinegar and water or a steam cleaner seemed to work best for me.

·
Kate
22,631 Posts
I was just going to ask this as well! I don't think it's typical for male dogs to drip anything when they're in the house..
It's not normal at all. Among else - boys are super neurotic about keeping themselves clean.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Rukie also dripped smegma on hard wood floors until he was neutered.

Reactions: Longlivegoldens

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have done a lot of reading about it- it is more common than you may think.Some people said it gets on the wall and bedding. It is not large amounts and does not bother him. It is just enough to make drop mark you notice- especially after you know what it is. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts