Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I bought the wrong sized crate for my pup when I first got him. While it still is fine, I know he will need a bigger size to be comfortable as he grows bigger. Anyways, I received a nice, big sized, used metal crate from a family friend. They said it's been sitting foldable up in their garage for about a year and a half or 2. It does have some rust on it, so I need to clean the rust off, and then disinfect it with vinegar and water solution and rinse it off with the hose.

How do you suggest I get the rust off? I was thinking maybe a wire brush, but what would I use with the wire brush to clean off the rust that is safe to use?

Also, when trying to find something online about cleaning up used crates, so many people brought up spray painting their old metal crate with nontoxic spray to make it look good and new again. I'd love to do that, as the crate is looking rather old. However, i'm on the edge because what if nontoxic spray paint isn't actually nontoxic and he licks or bites the crate? I get so nervous about that because I don't want to harm my pup. Does anyone know of safe, nontoxic spray paints for crates that they could recommend or link me to? Just looking for black spray paint.

Thank you in advance for the help! I've never had to clean up a crate other than the normal disinfecting and washing it up for cleanliness routine, so the rust is a new thing for me.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hi,

I bought the wrong sized crate for my pup when I first got him. While it still is fine, I know he will need a bigger size to be comfortable as he grows bigger. Anyways, I received a nice, big sized, used metal crate from a family friend. They said it's been sitting foldable up in their garage for about a year and a half or 2. It does have some rust on it, so I need to clean the rust off, and then disinfect it with vinegar and water solution and rinse it off with the hose.

How do you suggest I get the rust off? I was thinking maybe a wire brush, but what would I use with the wire brush to clean off the rust that is safe to use?

Also, when trying to find something online about cleaning up used crates, so many people brought up spray painting their old metal crate with nontoxic spray to make it look good and new again. I'd love to do that, as the crate is looking rather old. However, i'm on the edge because what if nontoxic spray paint isn't actually nontoxic and he licks or bites the crate? I get so nervous about that because I don't want to harm my pup. Does anyone know of safe, nontoxic spray paints for crates that they could recommend or link me to? Just looking for black spray paint.

Thank you in advance for the help! I've never had to clean up a crate other than the normal disinfecting and washing it up for cleanliness routine, so the rust is a new thing for me.

Hello:
I am not really in favor of painting anything for my dogs; but perhaps look for something that is supposed to be safe for a human infant? I do have one very old Petmate crate (metal door) that I fortunately bought an xtra door for (no longer made). IF I needed to refinish one, I would look into sandblasting for rust removal and perhaps powder coating (would have to research the safety angle on that one). This particular crate would be worth the expense imo.

No idea about how/if it would coat metal, but it's a start.

https://www.ecospaints.net/Lullaby-Paints?matchtype=e&network=g&device=c&adposition=1t1&keyword=crib%20safe%20paint&campaign={campaign}&adgroup={adgroup}&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2b7uBRDsARIsAEE9XpF0tHgbk6yuSY0vf3YELt22oowXR13vPeUwsm12SGZmQRAqZ_EMpDAaAqFREALw_wcB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts