Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We did a pheasant hunt and of course placing shot birds in the game pouch bloodied both the hunting vest and clothing underneath. By the time I could clean my clothes it was maybe eight hours later.

So here is my solution: Drop the clothes in a little cold water in the bathtub. A lot of dried blood will dissolve in the water and what remains will be softened and I believe easier to treat. Next I spray hydrogen peroxide on the stains and let it soak several minutes. Next step is to wash in cold water, detergent and something like Oxyclean. If I see some stain left I repeat the procedure. If you place in the dryer the stain will be set so don't do that until you get rid of the stain. When satisfied I run the clothes through the dryer, if unsure I line dry.

My only problem was with my jeans. I saw the slightest trace of blood on my patch pocket. Oh well, they are jeans.

One of my hunting partners placed his birds in a plastic bag before placing in his pouch. I wouldn't do that. I called him a wuss and other things.

Hope you find this helpful. I welcome additional tips.

·
Registered
20,992 Posts
Or you can keep one pair of jeans just for that purpose like I do!

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
I hunt and fish and get covered in blood, especially when fishing. We dip net for salmon and our normal catch is 25 fish in 18 hours. So I'm covered with blood, since I'm usually tasked with killing the fish. My chest waders are permanently stained and there is nothing I can do about it, I don't want to loose their waterproof status. So here's my thoughts.

1. Like Hotel4Dogs said, keep one pair for that purpose.
2. Wear dark clothes that don't show blood much.
3. Hang out with people that do the same things you do and don't care about blood stains. Easier to do up here in Alaska.
4. Buy new clothes. This option also works when your husband doesn't plug the sump pump in after a big rain and your closet floods. This is my favorite option. Just buy new clothes.
5. Easiest option: Wear nylon clothing. Nylon doesn't absorb blood. That's the bug off fabric sold by LL Bean, Duluth Trading, and others. Nylon comes clean with soap and water. It's my preferred fabric. When I travel for tests/trials, I wear nylon pants/shirts. When I get back to the hotel room, a little shampoo and water, and the blood is gone. Hang the pants/shirts over the shower road, and you're good to go in the morning. These pants/shirts are also usually coats with Permethrin which is a really nice bug repellent. You get both easy to get clean and easy to keep bugs away with these types of fabrics. Here's some links:
Duluth Trading: https://women.duluthtrading.com/store/womens/womens-pants/56709.aspx?processor=content
LL Bean: https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/86038?feat=505698-GN3&page=tropicwear-zip-leg-pants&csp=f

1 - 5 of 5 Posts