Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
41 - 60 of 176 Posts

· Registered
2,567 Posts
What a treat to come on the forum and see two Chumlee updates -- yep, like you I occasionally have to re-log in and insist I know the password and am kicked off and don't always come back soon! I love the picture of him in November with his trendy bandanna on. You're still dashing Chum! And by the time you read this post, that green stuffy is probably history.

I haven't followed all the eastern storms and sorry to hear you were hit again. I don't want to jinx it here in SE Wisconsin where it's cold but so far snow so minimal you could sweep it off the sidewalks. I'm beginning to think Wisconsin might be the new winter haven for east coast and southerners!! Yep, putting that in writing is guaranteed to put a foot on my doorstep by morning.

Keep warm and stay healthy Brianne and Chum!

Reactions: brianne

· Registered
19,513 Posts
Killing stuffies eh Chum, you must be secretly communicating with Barnaby!.

· Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Much to my shock, Chumlee has kept his New Year's Resolution thus far. I even got him a couple of extra toys on the Christmas clearance rack, including Hermie from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Although I have noticed Chum nibbling on him, even Hermie's little elf shoes are still intact!

Chum went to the groomer earlier in the week. She's probably not the most skilled groomer (notice Chum's "Great Dane feet" in the picture with the fur shaved off), but she is incredibly kind and gentle and Chumlee really likes her. Actually the shaved feet kinda help keep the snow from sticking in Chum's paws. Anyways, he is now squeaky-clean and soft and extra-huggable. :smooch:

The cold snap has broken here so we can spend a bit more time outside. Chumlee has been able to go for extra walks and extra rides in the car which makes him very happy. I have begun working with him again on using the telescoping ramp to enter and exit the car, but he's not thrilled about it. I'm trying to lessen and stress and strain on his senior joints rather than let him jump in and out of the car. I had the ramp for my senior Bridge girl and she took to it readily but Chumlee is definitely a tougher nut to crack...

Attachments

54,873 Posts
Chumlee is such a special boy, the Seniors are a very special gift.
I am really enjoying read his thread, I was able to get caught up on everything I've missed this morning......

This quote is priceless-

"Know that you are the perfect age. Each year is precious and special for you shall only live it once. Be comfortable with growing older." by Louise Hay

· Registered
19,513 Posts
Chumlee is so lovely, and I'm very impressed that he's being kind to his stuffies!. I hope he starts to get used to the ramp, maybe some treats placed on it would entice him, however, Barnaby wouldn't use one either, my hubby ended up lifting him in with me the other side holding a treat!

· Registered
19,513 Posts
Chumlee is such a special boy, the Seniors are a very special gift.
I am really enjoying read his thread, I was able to get caught up on everything I've missed this morning......

This quote is priceless-
That quote is just perfect!

· Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Chumlee is so lovely, and I'm very impressed that he's being kind to his stuffies!. I hope he starts to get used to the ramp, maybe some treats placed on it would entice him, however, Barnaby wouldn't use one either, my hubby ended up lifting him in with me the other side holding a treat!
That Barnaby was so clever to train you both to give him treats and still get his own way! :D Chumlee hasn't exactly figured out how to do that, but it's only a matter of time! I'm sure the handsome Mr. B will give him a few pointers...

I brought the ramp inside and laid it flat on the floor and Chum will willingly walk across it for a treat. Then I lifted the ramp and put it on one step for a bit of an incline and he will do that too. He will even walk across it outside, but trying to get him to walk up the ramp into the car is challenging. He tries to rush and nearly knocks the ramp down! I know if he has a scare like that, he'll never use the ramp again. We'll keep working on it.

· Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Rocketing to the top....

of Santa's Naughty List ! RIP Hermie the Elf :(

Some of you may be aware from the January Photo Contest that Chumlee's New Year's Resolution was to stop killing his stuffies. He even got a couple of extra toys since he seemed so sincere....including Santa and Rudolph's best friend, Hermie the elf.

The month was going along so well, Chum was sticking to his resolution and then BAM! In one day Chumlee managed to jump straight to the top of the Santa's Naughty List by killing Hermie. And just for good measure he decided to do a little work on the wall beside his bed, getting on MY naughty list!

I may be sending Chumlee to the North Pole for penance since Santa will be a little short-handed this year...

Attachments

· Registered
19,513 Posts
I don't know what to say except just look at that face!!!!!

· Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Chumlee the Trickster

Another update. A couple of weeks ago we had mostly bare ground and spring seemed just around the corner. Everyone was happy about this except Chumlee. He began his usual sad, end-of-winter routine, sitting and rolling on the last pile of snow in the backyard where we shoveled it off our deck.

Then Mother Nature decided to go crazy and sent 3 snowstorms - 2 of them blizzards! and it was goodbye bare ground, hello winter again. Ugh! Chum was ecstatic!! Every morning he celebrates anew when he steps outside and sees his beloved snow blanketing the whole yard. I have to admit, it makes me like the snow just a little bit more when I see how happy Chumlee is about it.

And one more new development with Chumlee - he has become a serious trickster when it comes to his meals.

Before we adopted him, a trainer taught Chumlee to go to a designated spot to wait for his meal. He has continued that routine ever since he has come to live with us (he trained us to this :) ). He used to wait until we picked up his bowl and he would run to the rug in front of our sliding door and wait while we prepared his meal. He would wait to be released then happily go eat his meal.

Now, Chumlee has decided to take matters into his own paws. He comes downstairs at mealtimes and goes directly to his spot and stands. He doesn't wait until we are preparing his meals to go to the spot! He initiates the meal prep!! He stares at each of us, sometimes adding a little whine to get our attention. DH or I obediently get up and give Chumlee his meal.

The problem is that Chum is now doing this several times a day so DH and I second-guess ourselves about whether we have already fed him or not! Chum has gotten quite a few extra meals. :doh: It has gotten so bad that DH and I had to put a chart and initial it when we feed him.

So in our household the answer to the question, "Are you smarter than a Golden Retriever?" is too often "No!" :p:

· Registered
19,513 Posts
That is so funny, he's so smart. I sometimes think that despite our goldens getting on in years there are times when you just know that there's still the naughty young pup in there and it's lovely to see. I'm so happy that Chumlee continues to do well, treasure each day with your gorgeous boy. P.S. please pass on a big hug and a cracker and cheese from me!

· Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Here's a picture of Chumlee doing some of his best work, trying to convince DH and I that we definitely, positively forgot to feed him for the last several weeks even though we marked it on our new chart. :rolleyes:

He takes up his position on the designated spot and begins the display. Note the soulful eyes and earnest expression...pretty convincing :)

Attachments

· Registered
3,096 Posts
What a clever, precious boy!

· Registered
19,513 Posts
Here's a picture of Chumlee doing some of his best work, trying to convince DH and I that we definitely, positively forgot to feed him for the last several weeks even though we marked it on our new chart. :rolleyes:

He takes up his position on the designated spot and begins the display. Note the soulful eyes and earnest expression...pretty convincing :)

Aw, that face! :--heart:

· Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
P.S. please pass on a big hug and a cracker and cheese from me!
Chum sends his thanks for the hug and cracker and cheese. He's grateful that his Aunt Swishy is looking after him since his own mom and dad give him a mere 2 meals a day. He's working hard on re-training them to feed him each and every time he goes to his designated spot, but they are slow learners...

Chum is sending sloppy kisses and a whole basket of clean cyber socks. :smooch:

· Registered
19,513 Posts
Thanks Chum, I always appreciate socks! :love::You_Rock_:love:

· Registered
2,567 Posts
Well you know how as you get older, you kind of forget sometimes, so maybe Chumlee is having those senior moments and he just doesn't remember having breakfast or dinner. He really doesn't seem to be the kind of dog who would try to pull one over on you, would he??

41 - 60 of 176 Posts