Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Golden is getting a little chubby. I'm starting to get concerned. I feed him the amount reccomended on the IAMS bag and he doesn't eat people food. The problem is he hates excersing!!!!! He's soooooo lazy. That's not normal for a golden right? He's only 3!!!!

·
Kate
21,691 Posts
Not sure what's on the bag, but the word coming from my vet as I discussed measurements with them a while back... NEVER go by the bag. Go by what is absolutely necessary for your dog.

Based on activity levels and metabolism levels - some dogs need more food than others. Other dogs must eat less and be exercised more.

The more regularly you walk your dog (on leash, steady walk every day), the more muscles your dog will develop and more energy he will have.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Calories in calories out.....no moving booty....less food in dishy... ;-)

Reactions: fostermom

·
Maggie Mae's Mom Too!
597 Posts
1.5 cups twice a day when my Senior Boy had gained alot of weight from becoming too sedentary. I also swictched him to reduced fat..... even though 3 is young. Also if you break up the feedings to twice a day there is better utilization of calories....

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
My Basil was recently sick and on dry I/D.... she is 58 lbs, I was feeding her less than the bag says to feed a 50 lb dog! Dog food companies will tell you those are guidelines... the more you feed, the more you buy. The rest of my 5 goldens eat 3/4-1 cup twice daily.

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
We have also fed our Golden's about 3/4 cup, twice a day. I am sure the bag says to feed a lot more. Unless you exercise your dog, chances are he is not going to do it himself. :) Try to get into a routine of a walk every day. They tend to be a bit lazier when they have put on a few extra pounds - just like us humans. Reducing his food and upping the exercise will take those extra pounds off in no time. You might also check with your Vet about doing a thyroid test. It might not just be extra food that is packing on the pounds. Could be low-thyroid, which would also account for the lack of energy. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Our3dogs has a good point. Out Buckskin became chubby at that age and it turned out that his thyroid was low. If we hadn't checked with the vet he would have continued to gain unneeded weight which was very difficult to shed.

A 3 year old Golden should be running you ragged.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My girl has exactly the same problem. I have been feeding her 3 cups a day and I just learned that 3 cups equates to 1146 KCal. I am going to cut it down to a bit less than 2 cups and give her the other cup with either green bean or canned pumpkin as filler. Hopefully that will bring her weight down.

I use this website to figure out the calories amount in food, pumpkin and green bean has very low cal.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2601/2

·
Premium Member
18,425 Posts
You should NEVER feed as much as the bag tells you. They tell you to feed too much so that you have to buy more, more often.

I feed my adult Goldens 2 1/4 cups total per day and they maintain their weight, no gaining or losing.

·
Proud Parent
46 Posts
My vet told me that generally you should only be giving like 2/3-3/4s of what the bag actually suggests. You should go to this website and plug in your information. It'll help you with what your dog needs exactly. :)

Dog Food Calculator

·
Kate
21,691 Posts
My vet told me that generally you should only be giving like 2/3-3/4s of what the bag actually suggests. You should go to this website and plug in your information. It'll help you with what your dog needs exactly. :)

Dog Food Calculator

No... feed what is correct for your dog based on your dog's specific weight and metabolism.

I entered data in for my guy and the idiot box came back with a tally that I should be feeding my dog 4 1/2 cups of food a day. My dog would be a total blimp if I did that! :bowl:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts