Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My husband and I are at our breaking point with GI issues with our 6 month old golden retriever, Oliver. We brought him home at the end of May from a reputable, AKC certified breeder in NM. However, we noticed his GI issues pretty much right away - he would often have diarrhea at least once a day. People told us that's par for the course with puppies, so we didn't worry.

He was potty trained by day 3 and only had 2 potty accidents in the house - NEVER poop. So, that's how we knew something was really wrong the end of July/early August. He started whining in his crate, which he never did, and when we came inside he was covered in explosive diarrhea. All over his crate, his toys, himself. This situation happened like 5 more times. We'd put him on the bland diet, call the vet, they'd run tests (nothing EVER came back), suggested probitiocs and antibiotics, tylan powder and pumpkin, and continue.

We were using the Fromms Large Breed Puppy kibble and every time we'd get up to 1/4 of a cup in transitioning, he'd get sick again and have awful diarrhea (always in the middle of the night, regardless of if we took him out every hour - it was uncontrollable). So, at my witts end, I called our vet and demanded they do more. They ran more tests and of course again everything came back negative. They gave me the Royal Canin Puppy Gastro food and said not to transition him and get him on it right away. Well naturally, it destroyed his stomach. This was worst diarrhea he'd had by far.

So, finally our vet wrote a perscription for a hydrolyzed kibble and told us to go painfully slow. So, we have - 1 tablespoon at a time, we've been transitioning him since the end of August becaue it's taken so long. (Had to pause due to a situation with him eating charcoal for our grill, LOL). We finally got up to almost his full dose (1 cup) and for the first time ever, he threw up. He vomitted on Tuesday and seemed totally fine after. I considered it a fluke. Then again, we woke up this morning to diarrhea in his crate and he's had diarrhea all day today.

I genuinely don't know what to do. We are so stressed. All we do is worry about this dog, take care of this dog, buy expensive perscriptions for this dog, and it seems like nothing ever works in the long term. Every time we think we've gotten his stomach to a good place, something else happens. We're making chicken and rice multiple times per week, measuring kibble methodically, mixing medicines into his pumpkin, sprinkling probiotics on, trying not to stress him out and induce diarrhea. It feels like his stomach issues have consumed our life.

We've struggled even feeling like we can enjoy having a dog because it's basically all been incredibly stressful and overwhelming. Please, I'm so desparate - any information and insight anyone has could be helpful. I just want to get this guy to a place where our whole life isn't calling our vet once a week and he's getting his nutritional needs met.

Thank you and I'm so sorry for the long post

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Between 9 and 11 weeks my puppy had really loose stools and at 12th week it turned into diarrhea. On one occasion he had it all over him in his crate. He was also under weight when we got him. The vets ran regular fecal test, tapeworm detected. He got treated, but didn’t improve much. They then ran another type of test and it turned out that he had Giardia. He was treated and doing much better now. I know this may not be a close match to what you are describing especially with the frequency of occurrence. Do you know if your vet ran Giardia coxidia test on him?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I’m so sorry you are going through this and for such a long period of time. I had the same experience from day-3 of Archie coming home until he was about 5-months old ( he’s currently 7-months old). He was on different types of food, prescription bland food, home cooked chicken & rice, Metro, probiotic…
He’d be good on Metro then 1st poop after Metro we’d be right back at square-1. We finally realized that chicken, in some form or other was the commen denominator! We switched him to a totally chicken-free (must say CHICKEN-FREE, as it lurks under many names in many foods!) and voila! He has been diarrhea free for a couple of months!! Worth a convo with your vet!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is there any chance he has a food allergy? Our puppy is also going through a long bout of GI issues. Multiple negative stool samples later, and a fairly underweight puppy...the vet suspects a chicken allergy.
We are now trying a lamb based kibble which seems to be going ok. Our vet did say it takes up to 30 days for the chicken to leave her system so we are still trying it out. She is also on probiotics as the constant diarrhea and metronidazole has probably just destroyed her gut bacteria.

Good luck with your boy. I know it is so frustrating to be dealing with this, and the poor pups are also miserable 😞

·
goldenfan
815 Posts
May be worth talking to your vet about treating for Giardia. It can be hard to find on tests. Agree with a previous poster that chicken allergy is quite common in goldens. Have you talked to your vet about giving probiotics as well to help balance the bacteria in the gut? I hope you manage to get him sorted. Campylobacter is also common in the UK (no idea if it is in the US) so may be worth testing for that if it occurs in the US? I would also check he is not drinking out of puddles or eating anything in the garden he shouldn't as well and I would be keeping him on a lead at all times to make sure he isn't. Annef

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
First of all, I want to say that the previous posters have given you some good suggestions and I would absolutely start there. In the meantime though, you may want to read these articles in case either of these things seems like they might be worth trying:

There is also some good information at the Dog Aware site that may be worth reading (see the section on digestive issues).

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
If none of the above recommendations work then I would make an appointment with an internist and get a colonoscopy and ultrasound of the abdomen. There is obviously a lot of inflammation in the GI tract that needs to be calmed down. If there is a holistic vet in your area they can give you some great advice on what can help to calm things down in there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m so sorry you are going through this and for such a long period of time. I had the same experience from day-3 of Archie coming home until he was about 5-months old ( he’s currently 7-months old). He was on different types of food, prescription bland food, home cooked chicken & rice, Metro, probiotic…
He’d be good on Metro then 1st poop after Metro we’d be right back at square-1. We finally realized that chicken, in some form or other was the commen denominator! We switched him to a totally chicken-free (must say CHICKEN-FREE, as it lurks under many names in many foods!) and voila! He has been diarrhea free for a couple of months!! Worth a convo with your vet!
Julia, thank you so much for your comment. I'm sorry you guys dealt with it for months, too. That's been the difficult and isolating thing - many people had their puppy go through a spell, but man it feels hopeless when it's been months. I'm curious - did Archie's diarrhea clear up on chicken and rice? I have noticed that chicken is a common denominator in the food he's eating (he's currently on Purina Pro Plan Hydrolyzed Kibble in the chicken flavor) but it would be super strange if it's a chicken allergy, as chicken and rice clears up his diarrhea! Interested in hearing your thoughts on that and experience with your little guy.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Julia, thank you so much for your comment. I'm sorry you guys dealt with it for months, too. That's been the difficult and isolating thing - many people had their puppy go through a spell, but man it feels hopeless when it's been months. I'm curious - did Archie's diarrhea clear up on chicken and rice? I have noticed that chicken is a common denominator in the food he's eating (he's currently on Purina Pro Plan Hydrolyzed Kibble in the chicken flavor) but it would be super strange if it's a chicken allergy, as chicken and rice clears up his diarrhea! Interested in hearing your thoughts on that and experience with your little guy.
Until we went 100% chicken-free his diarrhea only cleared while he was on Metro!

·
Registered
481 Posts
I’m sorry. I agree with above to try a trial of no chicken in case of an allergy. All of the hydrolyzed diets I know of contain chicken except for Purina Vegetarian Hydrolyzed. I’d suggest trying that one, transition slowly with white rice. Tylan powder, and Proviable probiotic have helped us. You could also consider a stool GI PCR panel to cover your bases over and beyond a general stool test.

·
Registered
353 Posts
P. S. We worked hand in hand (or I should say elbow to elbow during COVID), with our vet all during that time. I actually changed vets after Archie’s 1st month, so don’t be leery about getting a 2nd opinion, especially if you feel like you’re in a “groundhogs day” cycle.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I posted a thread at the puppy up to a year forum. Our puppy arrived with diarrhea issues too. The first month was painful because we thought it was a protein allergy (the usual tests for bacteria affecting puppies did not show anything). So, we even tried the hydrolyzed food. Although our vet thought it was not necessary, I decided to do a full pathogen test of his stool (it was expensive) and the results came that he contracted salmonella (something that you don’t usually test). He is now using a tiny amount of Tylosin Tatrate to control it since antibiotics that kill salmonella are too strong for a growing puppy. His stool is back to normal. I am not suggesting your puppy may have Salmonella, but to do a full pathogen test to see if there are other bacteria that may be causing the diarrhea.

[just a note: Adult dogs can control Salmonella. Just puppies and older dogs that have trouble with that bacteria. Also, Salmonella is a bacteria that veterinarians don’t usually think of when they see a puppy with diarrhea]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi all,

My husband and I are at our breaking point with GI issues with our 6 month old golden retriever, Oliver. We brought him home at the end of May from a reputable, AKC certified breeder in NM. However, we noticed his GI issues pretty much right away - he would often have diarrhea at least once a day. People told us that's par for the course with puppies, so we didn't worry.

He was potty trained by day 3 and only had 2 potty accidents in the house - NEVER poop. So, that's how we knew something was really wrong the end of July/early August. He started whining in his crate, which he never did, and when we came inside he was covered in explosive diarrhea. All over his crate, his toys, himself. This situation happened like 5 more times. We'd put him on the bland diet, call the vet, they'd run tests (nothing EVER came back), suggested probitiocs and antibiotics, tylan powder and pumpkin, and continue.

We were using the Fromms Large Breed Puppy kibble and every time we'd get up to 1/4 of a cup in transitioning, he'd get sick again and have awful diarrhea (always in the middle of the night, regardless of if we took him out every hour - it was uncontrollable). So, at my witts end, I called our vet and demanded they do more. They ran more tests and of course again everything came back negative. They gave me the Royal Canin Puppy Gastro food and said not to transition him and get him on it right away. Well naturally, it destroyed his stomach. This was worst diarrhea he'd had by far.

So, finally our vet wrote a perscription for a hydrolyzed kibble and told us to go painfully slow. So, we have - 1 tablespoon at a time, we've been transitioning him since the end of August becaue it's taken so long. (Had to pause due to a situation with him eating charcoal for our grill, LOL). We finally got up to almost his full dose (1 cup) and for the first time ever, he threw up. He vomitted on Tuesday and seemed totally fine after. I considered it a fluke. Then again, we woke up this morning to diarrhea in his crate and he's had diarrhea all day today.

I genuinely don't know what to do. We are so stressed. All we do is worry about this dog, take care of this dog, buy expensive perscriptions for this dog, and it seems like nothing ever works in the long term. Every time we think we've gotten his stomach to a good place, something else happens. We're making chicken and rice multiple times per week, measuring kibble methodically, mixing medicines into his pumpkin, sprinkling probiotics on, trying not to stress him out and induce diarrhea. It feels like his stomach issues have consumed our life.

We've struggled even feeling like we can enjoy having a dog because it's basically all been incredibly stressful and overwhelming. Please, I'm so desparate - any information and insight anyone has could be helpful. I just want to get this guy to a place where our whole life isn't calling our vet once a week and he's getting his nutritional needs met.

Thank you and I'm so sorry for the long post
Went through a similiar situation. Puppy was raised on Blue Buffalo. Soft serve, light brown poops every day. I even splurged on those food allergy tests. Turns out brown rice, peanut butter, chicken meal - among other foods gave him the runs. Not vouching for those tests but after making sure the food I bought didn't have these ingredients-solid poops from hereon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We actually went with Farmers dog wet and Sportdog dry food. Went from soft / diarrhea, to firm stools. I don’t know what problems he had but the diet fixed it. Expensive but no more vet bills and nutrition was the key.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We had the same issue for about a month right between he was 5 and 6 months old. It turned out to be an intolerance to turkey which was the main ingredient in his kibble. Thus, every time we tried to phase the kibble back in, his diarrhea came back. He did ok on chicken and rice in between, the diarrhea would stop but it would still be very loose. But then we switched to ground beef and rice and he did really well - maybe try that instead? It seems to me a lot of dogs get some sort of intolerance around 6 months, at least several of my friends’ dogs have gone through the same. Try moving away from poultry and switch to beef/lamb.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How is Oliver doing?
Hi! Thanks so much for follow up – that’s so nice. Oliver shockingly has had a great tummy week. After trying everything, when he was sick last week I decided to not transition him all the way to bland diet again and just try holding on a few days to get him fully on the hydrolyzed kibble. And finally, for the first time since we’ve had him, he’s having solid normally doggy poops! I’m shocked. I have no idea why that worked, but I’m so relieved and he’s so happy. We never found out the legitimate cause of all his stomach issues so that makes me nervous for one day transitioning him off, but I’m grateful for now.

·
Registered
481 Posts
That's great news! Our girl has had similar issues and her latest episode nothing worked but hydrolyzed kibble + Tylan. However, we were able to transition her back to her normal kibble after a few weeks. So I hope you're able to do the same with Oliver. We've had good luck with Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Salmon, and Natural Balance Venison and Sweet Potato.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts