Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
aka Sam =)
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enzo was SO good with the tree the first day we put it up. Last night, right before bed, I caught him trying to pull a candy cane off of it. Today, I caught him under the coffee table with a (glass) ornament in his mouth. It's made me think...I think I'm going to do a dog themed dog safe tree next year. Tennis balls instead of bulbs, holding them on the tree with fishing line instead of wire hooks in case he pulls one down. I'm trying to think of what else I could put on there that would be cute, but wouldn't hurt him if he decided to pull it off...and also, that wouldn't tempt him to pull them off too much (i.e. no dog biscuits lol). Does anybody have any other ideas for me?? Thanks in advance!

·
Kate
21,676 Posts
We approached it the same as when my youngest sibs were in diapers and running around. :)

Soft and unbreakable ornaments (plastic or wood) on the bottom half of the tree. Breakable bulbs and such go up higher on the tree.

Our guys have never really shown much interest in the ornaments. But their tails have smacked things off or caught the ornament hooks when they go past the tree.

·
aka Sam =)
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's so funny because I'll see him going towards the tree with that determined look on his face, so I'll just say "Enzo..." and he'll just veer off like he totally wasn't headed for the tree in the first place with a guilty look on his face. lol

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Ben has been really good about leaving the tree alone, except, of course, for the tail. Fortunately, we put only non-breakables down low. My biggest fear is if he gets the zoomies and slides into the corner, but so far he's stayed away.

As to your tree next year - cloth ornaments or papier mache might work. Don't do the starched tatted lace snowflakes - those are way too tempting (as we learned last year the hard way). No Christmas cookie ornaments either. Or straw. For some reason, Ben loves to chew straw baskets, coasters, etc.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Today, I caught him under the coffee table with a (glass) ornament in his mouth.

This is Murphy's first Christmas and he's been the exact opposite. I thought I'd be finding ornaments all over the house (hence why I left my glass baubles in the box this year) but he gave it a few cautious sniffs when we first set it up and hasn't bothered it since. So proud of him :p

·
aka Sam =)
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the first time Enzo has seen a Christmas tree. It really confuses me because he was SO good about it for the first day and a half...then last night, it was like a light went off in his head and he was like "this whole tree is full of balls for me!". lol

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Enzo!! Be a good boy for just a little while longer!! Santa Paws is coming to town! :)

I'd be afraid to put tennis balls on our tree for fear Toby would just drag the whole tree down to get all of them! He's been with us for 8 Christmases now and for the first time this year he decided getting the stockings down from the mantle would be a fun activity. :no: I credit his renewed vision from his surgery. I ended up taking them down because I was afraid he'd drag the heavy stocking holders down and one would hit his head!

Good luck!

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
I hope the tennis balls are not serious...Tess, who is not interested at all in the trees (mainly because there is nothing food related in them, I think), would climb over herself to get to real balls! In the hospital she tried to get them from under the walking devices they use...This is her third time, maybe they get used to them?

·
Dexter's Mom aka Kristin
625 Posts
I'd be scared to put tennis balls on the tree. My boy would pull the tree down trying to get them. I was so worried he'd do this anyway, but he just sniffs the tree..and he has his own ornament..he likes to lick that one and then he's done with it. The "worst" thing he has done is knock an ornament off as he wagged by, but it got stuck on his tail :lol:

I have seen a tree decorated with Kongs and other dog stuff though..so maybe you could get a small artificial tree and decorate it just for him :)

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
We try to decorate the low part of the tree with ornaments that aren't fun for dogs and are safe if they do get them (like pointy metal ornaments, etc.). Fortunately, the dogs have shown little interest in the ornaments themselves.

I think hanging tennis balls would be a recipe for a major disaster in our house. No matter how high they were, one of the dogs would go flying into the tree for one and to heck with the consequences.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts