Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Apollo & Knightley's mum!
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we had a hot day here downunder, so I took Knightley's new doggy life jacket with us to my parents place for Christmas Day because they have a rather nice pool. I've been careful to introduce Knightley to water and make it fun since we got him three months ago (he's 5 months old tomorrow), and he so far had LOVED water, but hadn't had the chance to swim.

My dad and brother were in the pool when we let him into the gated pool area and before I could even get in, there was an almighty SPLASH!!! and he had just jumped in. He was in and out and in out for a good half an hour before he was tired out. It did help that he had the life jacket to help him with his first swim, and makes sure that it is a positive experience and he doesn't panic. It was a lovely swim on a hot Chrissie day, and Knightley had the time of his life. Took him down to a local lake today and he got to swim a bit again, but without having to make those huge leaps! Thought you people might want to see my lovely boy. He is growing up soooo fast!!!

Knightley, dry in his life jacket, hot and panting in the shade

Ohhhh, that wet stuff looks very interesting!

SPLASH!!!

Loving every second of it.

Definitely a pure bred golden! Loves his wubba.

Tired out but still watching us.

He had a wonderful Christmas, and we're thinking of repeating it for New Years day which is threatening to be hotter. Hope all those northern hemisphere dogs had a good day, albeit a bit colder!

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Merry Christmas and great to see Knightly enjoying his swim. Our boy is the same age, but lack of water (Texas) has prevented him from getting to swim anywhere. Looks like he Loved his day and I bet was tired and crashed that evening. Great seeing green grass and looks like you had a lovely Christmas Day.

Wonder what new adventures he will have in 2012? You will have to keep us updated.

·
Apollo & Knightley's mum!
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Knightley has a LOT of adventures planned for 2012! Since he is to be my service/assistance dog, training will begin in earnest when he reaches about a year old. For the moment it's mostly about fun! I'm trying to give him as many varied experiences as possible so that when it comes to serious training time, nothing under the sun could possibly spook him.

We are lucky we have water for Knightley to swim in, and green grass is kind of freaky. For many years (12 in fact) we were in drought, and weren't allowed to fill our pools etc. The drought broke two years ago, but things still aren't usually green. The last month or so we have had heaps of storms, enough that Knightley has learnt at a young age not to be scared of thunder! I am sure as summer continues everything will go brown, but it's nice having things green for once.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts