Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Service Dog Handler
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - It's finally time for me to take the leap and get another golden puppy after the loss of my dear Cody from hemangiosarcoma at the tender age of 5.
I've been in contact with a few breeders up and down the east coast, and I am very hopeful. I've narrowed it down to two main breeders, Delmarva and Harborview.

While I love Harborview (I mean, I have my heart set on one of those little guys) I'm not sure if I'll even be on the waitlist despite having been in contact with Jennifer. So I am looking at Delmarva after hearing all the great things about it on here, yet I fear not making their waiting list either due to timing. I am looking to get my puppy during July or August -- hopefully early August, one can dream I suppose. :doh:

So my question is -- does anyone have a preference, and why?
Secondly, I was referred by a friend to a breeder by the name of "Charms Goldens" in Maryland. Does anyone have any info on these breeders?

Last but not least -- if anyone has any suggestions in the area, please let me know! I am also willing to buy a puppy from a reputable breeder even if they are not in the east coast area. My one concern - I have a chronic condition that causes my nerves to not always, well, respond in my leg area. That means the dog MUST be on the smaller side, (though I do know training is more than half the battle after having 3 goldens!) hence my interest in Harborview/Delmarva. Oh, and it would be a companion dog.

Thanks so much for any future response(s)!

·
Registered
367 Posts
OMG. Delmarva is great. They received one of my puppies brothers. They got - Weber "Mountain N Delmarva Smokin' Hot" -. He will be gorgeous. As far as small goldens are you then leaning towards getting a female rather than a male?

O and welcome!

·
Service Dog Handler
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm actually leaning toward a male - I know they are usually larger, but its a certain soft place in my heart that makes me set on a male. I'm glad to hear such positive words about delmarva :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
So you want a breeder that is active in the Confirmation ring, and that the dogs are CGC, possibly from a TDI line.

"Charms Goldens" in Maryland really doesn't ring a bell. If you want I can ask Michelle my breeder if she may know of any breeders she would recommend.

Have you thought of an older golden that a breeder has that they aren't going to finish that is already trained? Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
You might also want to check Lycinan goldens in Maryland. I saw several lovely dogs out of Charms kennel at the specialty yesterday.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
If you're looking to bring home a pup July/August, you're a bit behind the power curve. I If timing is a priority, I would expand your search to locate litters that will be available. I fully understand how quiet the house must be with the loss of your boy.

Have you contacted the Potomac Valley GR Club or the Chesapeake GR Club or the Gunpowder GR Club? They have links for breeder referral. There are number of great breeders in the area, some are smaller but their dogs track back to the readily identifiable bigger names. I spent this past Friday/Saturday at the PVGRC Speciality in Westminster MD (golden heaven), I would definitely reach out to the puppy referral POC for each club to see where that takes you. Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss of Cody! And so young. I just lost my Coby 4 days ago to the same thing at 8 yrs. The shock and loss are terrible.

·
Service Dog Handler
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much for all the wonderful responses. I will take my time to respond to each person:

bethlehemgolden - I've thought about adopting an older golden, but I really have my heart set on a puppy. I currently have two rescues, and they're perfect gems, but this time around I'm going to be looking for a puppy. Thank you for the help! Also, you don't need to go to any trouble with your breeder - unless you want to!

MercyMom - What is the issue with Charms? I don't know that much about them and I'm just wondering if you had any personal experience that would make me stay away from them.Thank you!

2golddogs - I just looked them up - thank you, they're beautiful! And yes, I agree, Charms have very nice dogs from what I've seen. Thank you!

SheetsSM - Unfortunetly, I have begun to realize how behind I am. I have reached out to a Golden club in NYC where my friend has offered to lend me her place, and I will reach out to the ones in this area (I was always meaning to, but I hadn't done it yet...thank you for reminding me!)

Coby Love - I am so sorry for your loss, too. It's devastating.

-- One more thing to this thread, sorry for the long reply --
I recently reached out to a breeder in NYC called "Gotta Be Goldens." They seem to have good reviews and I'm willing to make the drive. I'm not sure what the status of their waiting list is, but I know they just had puppies. I know I won't get one, but the breeders seem to be respectable. Does anyone have any experience with these breeders? Harborview remains 1# in my heart (bias!) but if they don't work out, I really like these Gotta Be Goldens.

Thank you everyone!

·
Chloe's Mom Lisa
774 Posts
Charms goldens are reputable! They run the Gunpowder Golden Retriever Club and are AKC handlers and judges. All clearances are complete on their dogs. They even offer free puppy training classes for I think 6 weeks. I am currently on the waiting list. I also reached out to a forum user that had one negative and it sounded like "here say" from a different breeder. Charms also uses their stud with Potomac run kennels. You can also check out Sannman kennels who breeds with charms. Stormy Point and Baybreez also sound good. If you want to adopt try Great.org or DVGRR. I think all these breeders know each other as friends or from dog shows.

Websites-
Potomacrun.org
Charmsgoldens.com
stormypointgoldens.com
libertybellegoldens.com
Sanmannkennels.com
baybreezgoldenretrievers.com

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Do not go with Charms!

I would still like to know what the issue was with Charms. It seems unfair to say not to "go with" it, but not to explain why. If the reason is something benign like, "the owner is always grumpy" then a prospective owner can decide whether he wants to deal with it. If, however, the person commenting is implying that something is wrong with the dogs, that is another matter.

I would appreciate it if you clarified your objection, Mercy Mom. Thank you.

NewfieMom

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I agree vague negative comments aren't helpful and really not fair.

A quick look into Charms looks like clearances are pretty spotty.

·
Service Dog Handler
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I actually just heard back from Charms and I'm going to be speaking with her tonight.Theres nothing to signify she's bad - except Loisiana's point on the clearances. Hopefully there's positive news, I'll let everyone know what happens. Daisy123 - what waitlist are you on? I think she is breeding a couple, if I'm not mistaken (which I may very well might be!)
Thanks again, everyone!

·
Chloe's Mom Lisa
774 Posts
Bethany,
They are mother and daughter breeders. I am on the daughters list (Jennifer) for a female pup from the Crystal x Archie litter. I also met her mom, Ginny, who owns Joker Jr. who is adorable! I went to Ginny's house for a visit during puppy class a few months ago. If you attend the puppy classes she will give your pup free vaccinations too! They have been breeding and showing dogs for years and they really know what they are doing. I am still waiting to see if Crystal is pregnant or I will switch to another list. Please let me know what you think of them and if you decide to go on the wait list.

·
Mercy Miracle (M&M)
5,097 Posts
You might also want to check Lycinan goldens in Maryland. I saw several lovely dogs out of Charms kennel at the specialty yesterday.
I agree that Lycinan is great. I visited her one time in 2003. I met some of the dogs and they were great. I actually met Mercy's two grandfathers and her great grandmother (mother of one of the grandfathers) up there and didn't even know I would have having a descendant from these dogs 9 years later! Bill was a legendary dog. I am proud to have his granddaughter.:)

·
Mercy Miracle (M&M)
5,097 Posts
I actually just heard back from Charms and I'm going to be speaking with her tonight.Theres nothing to signify she's bad - except Loisiana's point on the clearances. Hopefully there's positive news, I'll let everyone know what happens. Daisy123 - what waitlist are you on? I think she is breeding a couple, if I'm not mistaken (which I may very well might be!)
Thanks again, everyone!
I wish you the best of luck dear. :) She does have beautiful dogs, which is why I considered her at one time. You 've got to go with your gut as to which is best for you. Let us know how it goes.

·
Service Dog Handler
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
MercyMom - Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it! Nothing is final on Charms -- I will actually be speaking to her later this week, not this night as I thought earlier, but I will keep in mind what you have said. After losing one to cancer, I don't think I could do that again.

Daisy123 - Congratulations!! That is so exciting. I have a good feeling so far with Charms, and I'll definitely post updates with this thread. I will be speaking to the breeder later this week and I hope it's positive news.
----

I still have my fingers crossed that Harborview with pull through. Delmarva is a no, since I just missed their litter, and Charms and Lycinan are still possibilities. I'll keep everyone updated on this thread. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I will keep my fingers crossed that you get the pup of your dreams and I am sorry for your loss of your fur baby.
I have been there many times and last time after losing my furry kids, I ended up at Harborview's door step. I love my boy to pieces. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts