Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure this out before we bring Lucy home or at least have a good idea of what I'm looking for. Luckily for us, we live in a small town (with a vet), close to several other bigger towns (which have several vets), so there's lots of choice!

Why did you choose your current vet? What did you look for when trying to find one? Is there some sort of website that has pet owner feedback about different vets?

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Do you have friends or family with dogs? Ask around which vet they use. If not you can go and meet with that vet and ask them some questions. Usually you can get a feel for a vet from talking to them. I had one vet that some people didnt like because he was straight forward almost rude about things outside of the clinic. He as a member of the credit union that I worked at. but I loved him because he really cared about my animals and took such great care of them.

Ask some questions about vaccines and if they give them spaced out, neutering/spaying (pushes to get it done early) after hours care, listens to your concerns.

·
The Deuce is loose!
57 Posts
...you can go and meet with that vet and ask them some questions....
^^^^^ This.

While recommendations are great, nothing can take the place of actually meeting the vet. You can learn an awful lot about your vet just by asking some key questions.

Best of luck! :)

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys! I'll start with talking to the neighbours (there are a crazy amount of dogs in our neighbourhood!) and narrow it down from there. :bowl:

·
Just Some Guy
296 Posts
I'm an engineer, so of course I approached the problem from a couple of different angles. I asked for recommendations, in a different way. I asked friends to ask their vets who they would recommend for a second opinion if there was a serious health problem. Then I called the best vet schools in the region and asked them to recommend a vet. Then I checked to see which vets were board certified for a few tough problems, including surgery.

Of the vets that made it to the short list, how would they handle a 3am emergency? Did they have their own xray equipment? pharmacy? what is their view on the frequency of shots?

One vet kept coming up in every list, so I arranged for a visit. He called before the visit and asked me to take a picture of my dog's stool and email it to him, and to bring a sample. The first thing he did when we arrived was to have us go outside, so he could observe Orson's walk and trot. I knew that I had found a vet.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Talking to neighbors is all well and good but make sure that your neighbor loves and cares for their dog as much as you do yours. Many dog owners aren't picky and some shouldn't be dog owners. I'd ask friends and family who truly love their dog and always offer the best care. Look at prices too - my vet is great and she doesn't overcharge. Great vets usually don't. Also, for my son and myself, we like to see the same doctor as we grow, so if I were you, I'd pick a practice with one vet only. It's better for the dog and the dr. Good luck finding a vet - if you find a great vet, IMO it's worth an hour drive .... as we have an hour drive. :)

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I just moved and am going through the same thing. What I have noticed is that everybody that I asks for recommendations, their comments about the vet, are not the first things I am looking for ( cheap, etc.).

I am adopting a kitten from a rescue and she gave me the names that they use.

Another thing I have asked, is which vet will you NOT use. Got some pretty interesting comments about that.

·
Harleys Dad
1,052 Posts
I have as negative view regarding a neighbor or friend recommending a vet, or a doctor, or any professional for that matter. would anyone actually tell you they go to a vet and they think he's incompetent. of course they will be telling you " he's the best". Every sports medicine doctor in New York treats the Giants or the Yankees according to my neighbors. It's just human nature for others not to be candid about doctors they use. Go with the background check as our engineer poster said and meet the vet in person and judge for yourself.
Wagondog

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Although it's interesting to poll other people or research on the internet; nothing will compare to placing a call to a specific vet's office, asking a few screening questions, and going for a first visit. You can always continue searching if need be.

Decide what's important to you. For me, I want a vet who is flexible and is open to discussing options and listening to my concerns. I want a vet who is up-to-date - such as fewer vaccines being recommended. And finally, I'd hope to see some warmth and affinity toward my dog.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I'm pretty isolated up here but do have two vets fairly close and one nearby in St.Stephen New Brunswick. I am very happy with the one vet practice I use now. He has been my vet through two very tough end of life decisions and he was a great help through both.

I have a cousin who has a practice down state (2.5 hrs away) who I would also be very comfortable with as I know we both have similar thinkings regarding the care of our pets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts