Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been several people asking about choosing a pup, what should they do , is a Golden right for them, what to look for in a breeder ect.

When I was looking for another pup after we lost Lucy, I found the advice on this breeders web page very interesting. She's in England and doesn't export but look anyway as what she has to say is very helpful.

Go to the puppy pages, there's lots of helpful stuff. Also if you are considering a Golden read the pages about "Golden Retrievers, the right dog for you?"

www.mastamariner.com

Sarah:wave:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sarah,

I really liked that site. My Golden went to the bridge last year and I am picking up my new Golden in about 3 weeks (OMG that is a long time;) ). I loved this web site. I haven't had a pup in a while so I wanted to refresh my Golden knowledge! I read all the books, websites, forums I can find.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry for bringing up an old thread

There have been several people asking about choosing a pup, what should they do , is a Golden right for them, what to look for in a breeder ect.

When I was looking for another pup after we lost Lucy, I found the advice on this breeders web page very interesting. She's in England and doesn't export but look anyway as what she has to say is very helpful.

Go to the puppy pages, there's lots of helpful stuff. Also if you are considering a Golden read the pages about "Golden Retrievers, the right dog for you?"

www.mastamariner.com

Sarah:wave:
I was curious to know if anyone here has a puppy/dog from these breeders? They seem very knowledgeable and caring for their dogs and the breed itself.

there website also says none of their dogs have had cancer - 'Cancer can be problem in some lines and although, thankfully, we have never experienced this' - expensive, golden retrievers the right puppy.

I am guessing this is due to good breeding of well selected dogs and a little bit of luck right? But still that is great in a breed which has a relatively high cancer rate.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I know nothing of the breeder in question, but I'd be cautious with any breeder saying they've never experienced cancer...have they kept up with every single puppy they've produced? do they know the full family tree of their goldens that they're breeding (incidence of cancer with siblings up & down the pedigree)?

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Any breeder that says they have never had (fill in the blank) is either lying, not getting feedback, or hasn't bred any litters....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any breeder that says they have never had (fill in the blank) is either lying, not getting feedback, or hasn't bred any litters....
Im guessing they cant be getting much feedback, though they do have a page aswell for people to write about how their dog is doing etc.

I am unsure i think it is highly unlikely that they have breed many litters and none have had cancer (maybe they mean none they have breed from?)

They do seem like good breeders, they do agility, field, obediance, seem to discuss many things that are said on here about what to look for when buying a puppy, when raising a puppy.

Is there any way to know if they are a reputable breeder without just hoping they are? Is the kennel club assured breeder worth anything?

·
Registered
869 Posts

Absolutely agree with this!!! Our Bailey is 15 years old-YAHOO!! :) but she will not live forever and I suspect when she does pass away, it will be from some form of cancer. The facts would show that most dogs do pass from some form of cancer, even when they have lived well into what would be considered "old age".

I would be very leery of a breeder saying they had not experienced ANY cancer.

·
goldenfan
817 Posts
Not sure that these breeders actually do anything with their dogs, it doesn't make it clear on their website. Most reputable breeders do everything they mention in the UK Annef

·
goldenfan
817 Posts
The KC assured breeder scheme has some pitfalls, but these are gradually being addressed The most important thing is to look at the breeder accolades, have they bred dogs with stud book numbers? Not that they belong to a breed club as that is open to any one or that they have bred a certain number of littesr. That tells you if they are regularly competing in Field trials, obedience or showing their dogs. I think it is important to breed from dogs that have proved their worth in some way Annef

·
Registered
13 Posts
The KC assured breeder scheme has some pitfalls, but these are gradually being addressed The most important thing is to look at the breeder accolades, have they bred dogs with stud book numbers? Not that they belong to a breed club as that is open to any one or that they have bred a certain number of litters. That tells you if they are regularly competing in Field trials, obedience or showing their dogs. I think it is important to breed from dogs that have proved their worth in some way Annef

Thank you for the information. Is there any way to know that breeders compete in field trials, obedience or showing their dogs online or is it a matter of finding a breeder i think is good then contacting them individually?

Edit - i just looked at the website again and i see they have entered dogs into crufts and various other show competitions and also have at least their Border Collies entered into agility trials. I am not set on this place at all its just i don't want to do a dis-service to them if they are doing those things.

·
goldenfan
817 Posts
They have bred nearly 300 puppies. As a comparison I have bred 150 over the last 40 years and I can find no record of their dogs being shown, although they do have pictures of them retrieving pheasants on their site, so perhaps they pick up with them. They also state they breed as a hobby. Their website is full of information but if you read carefully they only do with their puppies what all careful breeders do over here Annef

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh ok i thought i saw photos of them with their dogs at crufts and things but maybe that was other peoples dogs. Never mind.

Not to sound too nosey but i take it you and your dogs are involved in agility, obedience and showing? I had a quick look at the photos of you dogs on here, they look stunning! If this time next year you are having a litter, let me know please! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts