Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was just wondering....why did you call your dog the name they have?

Hector is Hector because one of my childhood goldens was called Hector and he died way too young in very tragic circumstances. He was very cheeky and mischevious but the most gentlest giant I ever met. Hector the 1st and Hector Too are very similar in looks and character.

Is there a special reason or connection to something dear to your heart that led you to call your dog it's name!!??

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Barkley was renamed to Barkley after we adopted him at age 6. We didn't want any bad associations with his pre-adoption name to carry on- it was a fresh start. We chose Barkley because of his robust bark.

Toby was also renamed after his adoption from his AKC call name--he was named after my FIL. We liked the name Toby as well.

Our first Golden was named Beau, short for Beauregard, because we wanted a companion and friend. He lived up to that until he crossed the Bridge at 13 1/2 years of age.

We are batting around puppy names right now.:):crossfing

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
We went through a puppy name list until we got to Bentley and we both agreed. It worked out OK because he's almost cost us as much as the one with wheels :p:

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
Charmy... his name was actually Charlemagne (and a bunch of other stuff). My mom is a history buff and she was set on naming our fluffy little red headed puppy that huge name. :eek: Charmy suited him better.

Sam - He was named after either Yosemite Sam (Looney Tunes) or Sam the Eagle (Muppets). He took after a bit of both, I think. :D

Danny - He was named after a horse I knew and loved. Big black thoroughbred. I loved that horse.

Jacks - His dad was a Jack... and my mom decided last minute she really liked the name for our puppy to be. I wanted George. But I guess Jacks suits him better. :eek:

Our next puppy will be George. ;)

Arthur... I could be wrong, but I think his dad was named something like the Silver Wizard... or something like that. And that's why his previous owners settled on the name Arthur. It never occurred to us to change his name.

·
goldenfan
695 Posts
We have Tikka because her Mother is Chutney and we chose her name eating curry one night! Micky 's KC name is Simply Red so he had to be Micky after the singer.Annef

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
Cody's dad was "Glen Ivy's Ride em Cowboy" so we named Cody "Cowboys Wild Bill Cody"
We love the cowboy names so now we have "Kellies Wyatt Earp" aka Wyatt.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have Tikka because her Mother is Chutney and we chose her name eating curry one night! Micky 's KC name is Simply Red so he had to be Micky after the singer.Annef
Absolutely love the name Chutney. We're having curry tomorrow night to see in the new year, we'll have to see what chutney related names we can come up with. I have to admit I'm drawn to the name pickle, along the same lines.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Well, okay, Rusty was named that because it was part of his sire's name, and it suited him, he was kind of a rusty orange color, registered name Rusty's Ranger.

When I decided on getting another dog, I knew I wanted a female. The name Tess came to me, and even before the litter was bred, I knew my little girl would be called Tess. It suited her too, she was a regal, royal puppy and grew up to be a regal, royal adult dog who allowed us to be part of her world, registered name Topbrass Ready to Rock.

Libby was born in November of 2001, I wanted a patriotic call name, Liberty, which we shortened to Libby. Her registered name is Topbrass Miss Liberty Belle.

Raider came from a litter that had a litter theme of anything to do with vision/eyes. His registered name is Morningstar Treasure Eye'L, call name Raider. I wanted his call name to be Raider because my grandsons were very active in a football league called the Raiders. So it was kind of a pirate name with a nod to litter theme with the spelling of Eye'L.

Now the new puppy coming the end of January. His call name will be Tugg. It came to me, almost with the ease that Tess's name came to me. I just liked it. I haven't decided on his registered name yet, I want to somehow honor Rusty and Tess and maybe use part of their registered names in it, but maybe figure out how to have his call name relate somehow to it, maybe in a boat theme. Before Rusty died, his name was going to be Topbrass Don't Rock The Boat, call name Tugg. Now it might be Topbrass Rock'N Ranger, call name Tugg. We used to have a Ranger fishing boat so that sort of fits into my plans. But if I think of something better, his registered name could very well be something else.

Reactions: Wimbles

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my4goldens...I think I'll probably always have males but if I had a girlie, Liberty would definitely be a name I'd consider. Loving Tugg!

·
AAARF!
2,216 Posts
I've named all my dogs after fictional characters. Ayla was from The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel, Addy was from the American Girl Series, Annie was from Little Orphan Annie and Anne of Green Gables, Rindy was from a book I read when I was a little kid, The Family Name, and Finn was named after Huckleberry Finn.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I just liked the names Penny and Luna. No reason behind them, but a lot of people like how Penny looks like a Penny!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,068 Posts
I named all of my guys after American cities......and I am Canadian!!! It all actually started with my Samoyed whom I named Dakota.

Reno
Phoenix (RIP)
Austin
Lincoln

I'm hoping any future puppy will follow suit but I'm running out of names that I really like.

·
Eleanor's Mom
597 Posts
The theme of Eleanor's litter was characters from books. I was reading Sense and Sensibility at the time so we named her after Elinor Dashwood. I also like how there have been so many strong women in history named Eleanor (Roosevelt, Aquitaine, etc). Her akc name is Dashwoods Sense and Sensibility.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I named all of my guys after American cities......and I am Canadian!!! It all actually started with my Samoyed whom I named Dakota.

Reno
Phoenix (RIP)
Austin
Lincoln

I'm hoping any future puppy will follow suit but I'm running out of names that I really like.
Laurie, I love your pups names, though over here in the UK I'd probably end up with pups called Lester, Yorkshire, Norfolk and Suffolk!! Not really got the same ring as your guys:)

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
As a kid my favorite place to be was at my grandparent's ranch. I still remember the day my dad bought me a little Remington .22. This is my boyfriend and I's first dog together and he is also kind of obsessed with guns (as in sport shooting, not as in murder, just to clarify!). We only had a week to pick a name for our pup (didn't know if it would be a girl or a boy) so we chose Remington (Remy) after the rifle. We felt it could go either male or female. We ended up with a little boy and call him Remy most of the time but Rem comes into play too. His full call name, Remington, only comes into play when he's being either crazy or in trouble... And he is well aware of that!

Ironically we ended up having a hard time choosing because the breeder thought he looked like a "Midas" and was really pushing us to use that name (you could tell it was a favorite of hers). When we got him home it was clear that he was a little Remy... And it still suits him perfectly!

His AKC name is Remington's Golden Byrd Shot because his father's name was Mickey Byrd. His mother is Roxanne's Blazing Glory and we did consider Blaze as well.

I think we will stick with the gun theme and our next with be Ruger (Roo)!!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

Reno
Phoenix (RIP)
Austin
Lincoln

I bet we can help find some city names you'll like ;)

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Absolutely love the name Chutney. We're having curry tomorrow night to see in the new year, we'll have to see what chutney related names we can come up with. I have to admit I'm drawn to the name pickle, along the same lines.
I had a stunning black cat called Pickle, I loved that name.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
My daughter made up a list of names when we first started talking about getting a dog. After much deliberation, Cookie was one of the names on the short list. Then when we went to see the puppies (Sally's Mom is the breeder), we met her dog Cookie. It kind of seemed fitting after that!

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Our last golden was Cracker, chosen for several reasons, we brought her home just after Christmas so she was our Christmas Cracker, she was light in colour so a Jacobs cream cracker and she was so pretty so , cor what a cracker! Chester was nearly many things, we ended up taking a long winded family poll and ended up with Chester..named after part of our address and keeping the 'C' name theme.

·
the party's crashing us
4,278 Posts
All of our dogs have been human surnames
Tucker
Maguire
Donovan
Fisher
Harvin
Slater

Next names I have lined up are Archer, Fender, Felix....who will it be? :)

Except for Maguire (Show Me The Money) none of them had call names that went with their registered names at all.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts