Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the reason I am asking about the choke collar is because I was recommended to a trainer that is supposed to me great and trains dogs pretty amazing. Today I went to meet with him and ofcourse Lucy went along and we met his 3 labs that are so incredibly trained that I was in complete awe. He uses a whistle and somehow these three dogs no matter where they are at come straight to him and sit next to him, it's pretty great. Anyways, he trains all kinds of dogs and the only thing I don't like about his technique is that he uses a choke collar to teach dogs to stay next to him while walking. :uhoh: I have never, ever like the idea of a choke collar and especially with my Lucy but then again I sometimes start to think, does she need it to learn because she is going to rip my arm off one of these days or break one of my fingers, and its not like I don't train with her everyday because I do, I just think it has to do with their personalities. Anyways, what are the pros and cons about using a choke collar, if there are any pros. Please let me in on your opinions on this.

Thanks everyone!

·
Shameless and Proud
2,305 Posts
I use a choke with Moxie. She had a bad incident with a gentle leader and at work I can't have her on her "pet collar", they like for her to look "professional" and as such she has working clothes and play clothes, and yes she knows the difference.

To have Moxie walk close to me (and she will do a perfect heel off leash) if she gets ahead of me I just stopped, when she hit the end of the leash it was her own fault for the correction. Then with my hand I pointed to where she was to stand and she did.

Our only issue is when she sees other dogs because she's terrified, she can't get away. She does great at the dog park ad has even started playing with some of the little dogs. (She wans't to happy when the greyhound I walk took a liking to her)

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Well, I think the term "choke" is misleading. Its not meant to "choke".

I use the choke collar becaue it is convenient, offers more control, but only when it is positioned high behind his ears. Usually when I want more control, I'll sidle up to him, the collar goes high, and its the position not the "choking" that gives control.
The gentle leader uses that same place to help control the dog (up behind the ears)

I'd see what he has to say. He's got some well behaved dogs...

·
16,000 Posts
When fitted and used properly, "choke" collars are an excellent, effective, and humane tool for most dogs. Ultimately, they become a communication device and the dog responds to the "zip" sound without even needing a contact correction.
I have used them on all my dogs, beginning the moment they are first put on a lead.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm just so paranoid that she is too young for a choke collar, I kinda feel guilty. I know, I know, I'm being stupid about the whole thing but I just can't help it.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually feel alot better now, knowing that you guys use it. Even though he explained to me how it works and that it goes high up by the ears I felt a little weird about the whole thing. His dogs are amazing though, they do whatever it is he says and they also do competitions, I was very impressed.

·
Shameless and Proud
2,305 Posts
They aren't stupid fears, you should have seen me with Moxie the first time she got a knee cap. I watched her like a hawk. If I could have set up "kennel cams" to watch her while I was at school...I would have....I am so thrilled with my new job because when I get puppy I will be with it constantly for the first 8-9 months.

Okay I am a crazy over protective Mama, I get it.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am extremely overprotective also and let me tell you I was very brave today. When I get to the park where he was at with his dogs I see three big labs sitting in the back of his truck. I get off and we start talking and so the labs are pretty far from where we where standing and they would not move one bit. So he calls one of them over and he jumps from the truck and starts running towards us, all I could think about was hoping he would not jump on Lucy I was freaking out and Lucy was also scared at first but the labs where extremely nice to her and then she got used to them and starting being the flirt she normally is. I was so scared though of the big labs coming towards her, but hey it all worked out great and she is now sleeping like a baby. I am proud of myself! lol

·
Shameless and Proud
2,305 Posts
I am now making moxie socialize she can be such a grump. And now when we go to the park she actually plays with the small dogs! Makes me so proud! *tear*

·
and Miss Riley and Jake
686 Posts
Another vote for the prong collar........as long as they are properly adjusted for length.

·
Super Moderator
3,950 Posts
we have used a fur saver collar when training and it worked well. It is also worn high on the neck so it's doensn't choke the dog but give a correction if they pull or you give a quick snap and release to correct with it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I use the choke collar with Kylee. It's more of a communication device than a correction. Usually the sound of the chain sliding is enough to get her back into position. When using it, remember, quick pull, quick release. It's just a pop.

Now I have a question. Why do choke collar manafucturer's recommend a chain collar size for Golden's that are about 8 inches longer than they should be?

My understanding is the proper fit for a choke collar, is 2 inches of extra chain when it's placed at the proper position.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
When fitted and used properly, "choke" collars are an excellent, effective, and humane tool for most dogs. Ultimately, they become a communication device and the dog responds to the "zip" sound without even needing a contact correction.
I have used them on all my dogs, beginning the moment they are first put on a lead.
I totally agree. Our training program, Bark Busters, sells special ones that only have the metal part on half of it - the other part is a very soft leather. It is the only way that Bogey will walk properly. And it's true that they get used to the sound of the chain sliding and respond to that. Bogey has never "choked" himself on this.

That being said, we ONLY put that collar on him when we are walking or training. It's too dangerous for play dates, daycare or anything else. We don't leave him outside, but if for any reason a dog as chained up wearing one of those it could be trouble. If you use one just be sure to use a normal collar during certain situations.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I only use chain collars when he is on-leash. It's put on with his leash when we leave the house, and it's taken off first thing when we get back home.

I never leave them on all the time. I have too many concerns about that.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I only use chain collars when he is on-leash. It's put on with his leash when we leave the house, and it's taken off first thing when we get back home.

I never leave them on all the time. I have too many concerns about that.

Ditto!!!!

It's a training collar, not a regular collar. If you're not actively training with them, it shouldn't be on them.

·
Shameless and Proud
2,305 Posts
I totally forgot about this other collar you could try

http://dogsbestfriend.stores.yahoo.net/advolcol.html

Now I've never used it...but I meant to get one for Moxie, and I've heard rave reviews. People think it's funny to see Moxie in her chain collar because she looks "BA"

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I think you're right to be a little nervous. Too many people use them for restraining (rather than training) dogs on the leash, and that usage is inhumane and dangerous. A choke or a prong collar should never be part of a tug of war between you and a dog. It's a bad name for the tool, 'cause if you're choking the dog, you're doing it wrong.

That said, if it's used properly, I'm sure it can be a humane, useful training tool. I will, though, make a pitch that lure/targeting training for leash behavior can work wonders with no need for any equipment other than a leash and a flat buckle collar. I'm not sure a choke is a necessary tool for many dogs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts