Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we've just reached the point where we feel like we can trust leaving Cleo out and not watch her 24/7 and in the past 2 weeks she's gotten into some stuff... both times I went upstairs for about 15 minutes and come back downstairs to disaster. Back to the crate anytime I'm not in the room after this disaster!!

Today I came downstairs to find Sophie (our 10 year old Cavalier who is an absolute piglet) and Cleo (nearly 6 month old Golden) having a chocolate feast! They got into a bag of Heath miniature chocolates. NOT THE CHOCOLATE! (Sophie also got chocolate mess all over a pillow.)

So now I'm panicking and running around trying to find my phone and I grab the hydrogen peroxide because I already know how this is gonna go.

I get ahold of the vet, they tell me to induce vomiting in both dogs and then to call them back. Give 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide to each dog, if they dont vomit in 15 minutes give another 2 tablespoons.

I take both dogs on the deck (don't need to clean up vomit mess and chocolate mess inside) and then proceed to try and catch them and not spill hydrogen peroxide all over them and hopefully get it in their mouths. Cleo vomited within 5 minutes after the first dose and didn't even run from me. Success!!(This is the first time I've had to induce vomiting in Cleo, actually the first time Cleo ever vomited.)

But Sophie was a whole other story. She knew what was going down and fought me the whole way. I finally got the hydrogen peroxide in her and I wait. And wait. No vomit. ****. So we try again. And wait. And wait.

Another call to the vet while I'm panicking. They asked how big the bag of miniatures was and how many wrappers I found. (10.2 oz Bag and I found 16 wrappers) The vet puts me on hold and does the math only to tell me that Sophie will be fine. She might have an upset stomach and should be fed chicken and rice for the next few days. Phew! I wish they told me that right away! What a heart attack! So now Sophie is sleeping, fat and happy and we're gonna keep an eye on her. She's gonna be psyched about the chicken and rice....

Has anyone else had a chocolate scare before? Also, has anyone else had a dog not vomit when you try to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide? Last time I had to try and induce vomiting Sophie vomited and Roxy didn't. (It was a bottle of Rimadyl then, so quite a bit more serious.) Is there a way to make them more likely to vomit?

Also just some weird things to mention, within 15 minutes of giving hydrogen peroxide both the dogs had to poop and the hydrogen peroxide has lightened some of Sophie's coat where it spilled down her neck.

So relieved that she's going to be fine.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Oh gosh, I feel you! I just had this yesterday with coffee grounds. Maggie vomited within 5 minutes of me giving her the hydrogen peroxide. I gave her 2 tbs and poured it right down her throat.
I am so glad your vet said that Sophie and Cleo are going to be okay. I have not heard of the hydrogen peroxide not working to induce vomiting.
Jules

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not heard of the hydrogen peroxide not working to induce vomiting.
Jules
In the 2 times I've had to induce vomiting I've gotten one out of the two dogs to vomit. So it doesn't always work. When Roxy ate a bottle of Rimadyl and wouldn't vomit we had to give her medicine to prevent a stomach ulcer. Thankfully in that case Sophie vomited bc of her size she could have been at risk for kidney failure.

I'm so glad Maggie vomited and is okay! It's always so terrifying to have to try to induce vomiting!

Getting the hydrogen peroxide down their throats is easy for me the first time. But once they learn and it has to be done again, even years later it's like they remember. For Roxy I had to give 2 doses back when she ate the rimadyl and I had to chase her to do the 2nd dose.

Interesting thing is that both times the dogs that vomited wound up vomiting 5 minutes after I gave the 1st dose. When I had to do a second dose neither dog vomited.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.