Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alone, she is fascinated by all the lights and little balls and ornaments..she thinks she has to pick them of.
Last year was easy as she was just a little bundle, this year we got a problem..LOL, we already moved the tree to a different spot as it was blocking their view:doh: (in front of the window)

I came home yesterday and seen my poor tree spinning, decided to move it into a different spot...Chloe still loves it and brings me all my decorations...some of them she will chew:doh: some she won't.:confused:

How do you keep you're Golden out of the Christmas Tree???

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Sounds like you need an X pen around your tree. My guys were pretty good around the tree last year. Just had to hang all the breakable ones above tail height. ;)

·
Registered
508 Posts
alone, she is fascinated by all the lights and little balls and ornaments..she thinks she has to pick them of.
Last year was easy as she was just a little bundle, this year we got a problem..LOL, we already moved the tree to a different spot as it was blocking their view:doh: (in front of the window)

I came home yesterday and seen my poor tree spinning, decided to move it into a different spot...Chloe still loves it and brings me all my decorations...some of them she will chew:doh: some she won't.:confused:

How do you keep you're Golden out of the Christmas Tree???
I say decorate it with stuffed Kongs and be done with it! HEEEE HEEEE

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Thankfully we haven't had problems with them bugging the tree. (Amazingly.) We've just had the tail problems. LOL. The tree started out with (all shatterproof except for a couple of penguin ornaments I've collected over the years. Those were at the top) the bulbs all over the tree. Evenly placed.

Well, now the tree had no ornaments from the middle down. LOL. Man, those tails are POWERFUL.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank drove us nuts while we were decorating the tree but has pretty much left it alone.
He ate a fake pine cone off the tree in the kitchen.

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
When I used to do daycare I used one of those 6 sided plastic baby gates around the tree. I would think that it would also keep the dogs away from the tree, too. You can take it apart in sections. What I did was to set the tree up in a corner of the room and use 4 of the sections, tying the 2 ends to nearby couches and chairs, with shoelaces, so that it effectively blocked off that corner of the room. When I got Biscuit (who eats just about anything) I had to make a separate playroom for the kids and now I just put the tree in there.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
We are fortunate that our Christmas tree is going up in our Living Room/Dining Room area and we can close them off with french doors as Molson isn't allowed in those rooms unsupervised anyway :)

If that wasn't the case, however, the ex-pen would be my xmas tree's best friend! :)

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Luckily mine have always left the tree alone but I dont know how Joey will act. Hopefully Tim will come home this weekend and we can put ours up, so I wonder how he will react.

·
Registered
869 Posts
We haven't put ours up yet, I am afraid to. First christmas for both our puppies. We probablt won't have any decorations on the bottom half. Our last Golden pulled over by mistake one time. She just got caught in it when she was sitting by my son who was next to it. I was yelling at my kid, here it was the dog. My bad. LOL

·
Registered
438 Posts
First it was just my cat that kept eating the freakin' "iceicles" from the tree lol I guess he wants his poop to shine...
Hayden would just sniff it a lot.

Today I went to Walmart and got a "skirt" for around the tree. Very cheap almost cotten like material in a blanket to go around the tree. I left her for 5 freakin' min inside the house without me there...... yup.... "blanket" is now in bits. So I just took the bits and put them around the tree. So it looks more like snow now I guess? lol She's uhh "helping"??

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First it was just my cat that kept eating the freakin' "iceicles" from the tree lol I guess he wants his poop to shine...

Today I went to Walmart and got a "skirt" for around the tree. Very cheap almost cotten like material in a blanket to go around the tree. I left her for 5 freakin' min inside the house without me there...... yup.... "blanket" is now in bits. So I just took the bits and put them around the tree. So it looks more like snow now I guess? lol She's uhh "helping"??
LOL, sounds like my house, guess we gotta put up with the the puppy behaviour, wait Chloe is 1 year old..LOL..Oh the joy of having a golden:)

·
A Deputy and his dog
167 Posts
Moose doesn't bother ours... he will just walk by it and sniff some of the ornaments like he's inspecting my wife's work. Now the nativity scene under it is another question.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
We will put the small tree on top of the 2 crates in the livingroom again this year. We also have a home day care and right now have two one year olds andone 2 year old that are fastinated with the tree. In the past we have used an ex pen around it.. tied it to the ceiling using 40 pound test fishing line, and of course thoughtful placement of the ornaments. All glass and fragil go up high. One swish of a tail and these are toast. I also bend the wire hanger to help keep them on in case for some reason the tree is shaken. I put the older, tougher ornaments towards the bottom of the tree. It won't make House and Garden magazine, but we like it!

·
rose
497 Posts

we dont have a problem with the dogs they ignore it shame the same cant be said about on of the blasted cats who climbs the **** thing last year the little witch ate the lights off it well its now out of storage we have yet to see wether it will go up this year arggggghhhhhhh if i have my way it wont cos i loose track of how many times i have to put the blooming thing back to gether as for helping i dont think so

·
Tucker - Tanner - Cooper
1,624 Posts
We put ours up last weekend. Tanner our older guy has never really noticed the tree - he will sniff it and walk away. Cooper our pup (10months) has never seen a tree or snow. He was very curious but didn't do much more than investigate it. Our cats on the other hand think it's their fort. They don't climb it - but they love sleepind under it - so my tree skirt is COVERED in hair - i guess it fits with everything else ! It did almost take a tumble yesterday because evidently their was a fight over sleeping space under the tree and then Cooper had to see what the cats were doing - they can't make a noise without him getting in their business. It go completely spun around - all i remember hearing is my husband screaming "there it goes". But thankfully it didn't - had it been our old tree stand - it would have been a goner ! Love the tree lit up and the house dark - love the glow.

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
We put all the breakable balls where Lucy wouldn't try to retrieve them for us, but other than that, they leave it alone after a few very stern "NO!'s". Dory will occasionally walk under it to scratch her back though.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
We are really missing having a tree for the last couple of years- LOVE THE SMELL AND THE SPARKLE :p: When Sienna came along, her crate took up the last remaining room we had in this house LOL, not that we could probably have a tree anyway- Sienna would have everything on it for lunch!!!

If we had the room we would probably need an ex pen around it, but we do have a little table top live tree in a pot that I've brought in each year- except it's getting a bit big for the table now LOL. I can only fit lights on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow...I had similar problems as well. I covered by 6' tree with a plastic table cloth. I used clothes pins to keep it in place. Good luck!!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Our tree is tall but skinny so I guess the cat is smart enough to see that it wont support his weight?? lol
This time of year the cat rather get under the blanket on the spare bed. He's a cutie :)

Now if only I could teach Hayden not to eat extension cords....... I tried putting a heater in her dog house... it doesn't work well when the power cords get chewed up and pieces strung out all over the back yard.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts