Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a 7-year-old golden retriever who has some chips on the edges of two of his teeth:
  • top left carnassial tooth
  • bottom left molar
After having had his top right carnassial tooth extracted last year, I have been more diligent about not to letting him chew on any hard objects.

However, I was on a walk the other day and this guy kept finding and giving my dog sticks to chew on, even after I politely told him not to. My dog crunched down hard on one stick, but I'm not sure if the sound was from his teeth or the branch being damaged (or both). Prior to this, my dog already had some chips on these two teeth. I'm just not sure if they got more damaged from that stick he bit down on. This has given me so much anxiety and frustration the past few days.

1. From viewing the photos below, is anyone able to tell if I need to be concerned about these teeth getting fractured or chipped more?
2. Is there a way to check if these chips in his teeth are bothering him? Any signs he would show to tell me if he's in pain or something is wrong? (I did press down around his muzzle, and he doesn't seem to be bothered by it.)
3. Is there anything I can do to help him? For example, can sandpaper be used to smooth out the sharp edges?

Hair Nose Skin Head Hand

Nose Head Eye Tooth Eyelash

Hand Eye Mouth Tooth Leg

Lip Liquid Goggles Jaw Neck

For comparison, here's a photo of his bottom right molar:
Dog Jaw Tooth Fang Carnivore

1 - 2 of 2 Posts