Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon! I have been lurching around on this board for months taking in all the information. I am a stay at home mom of a two and a half year old and a one year old. We are getting a puppy in May from a reputable breeder. I have done my homework! We are getting a female. I am so excited. We already have a dog and my kids are well adapted to the behavior they are expected to have around dogs. They are very gentle. I was wondering if anyone else has had experience with a puppy and young children and could offer any tips or suggestions or how they managed the puppy hood stages. Thanks so much!

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Congratulations! You are having a third child without the labor! Look for an obediance class and get the kids involved. Get a book now that shows the kids what to expect. (A nibbly sweetheart.) Introduce the pup as a project for the kids. For the project we get a crate, and this and that and we show the pup how to live with us!

Good luck and post photos!

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Congrats! I do not have kids but just from raising my own puppy I can tell you patience and supervision will be the most important! As she was teething she went through the really nasty puppy stage of mouthing my clothes (and even put holes in 'em) so I would be prepared for that--and realize that it doesn't last forever but it will come! Mine is now 8 months and the mouthiness dropped dramatically around 5-6 months when she got all of her adult teeth in.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a 3 year old and Bailey is now 6 months old. It's very challenging as Bailey is constantly trying to play with my son and still wants grabs his arms with her teeth. My son unfortunately doesn't really understand that he shouldn't run around around her, so I have to keep them often separated. Gates (which you probably already have with your kids) are so important, without I would have a really hard time. When she had her puppy teeth it was really hurting, now it's not anymore that bad, but she still didn't get rid of the mouthing especially with my son. She still does it with us from time to time, but not as bad as when she was younger.
It is really like you have another child, just one with sharp teeth right from the beginning. Also they grow so fast and can push down your little ones really easily.
I have to keep an eye constantly on the two of them, when I have them together. My son just likes to run around with her and she enjoys it too, at least now she know to get a toy in her mouth before running, so she's not biting him.

I also take Bailey on walks and that's always with the stroller, so that is an additional challenge as it's not always easy to walk her when she sees something interesting at the same time I have to hold on to the stroller
Next week we will work wih the trainer on her walking and hopefully that will help with her pulling and impulsive lunging.
Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have three kids, ages 8, 7 and 3. In the beginning, it was much more difficult, because Rosie (like most puppies) did a lot of nipping and mouthing. She still is a bit mouthy at times, but it's subsided a ton in recent weeks. My two older kids are great with Rosie and she's good with them, too. With my little guy, I have to supervise him whenever he's playing with Rosie. He's generally very good with her, but sometimes he just lays on her, and I don't want him to hurt her and cause her to snap at him. I'd say the best thing you can do is teach your dog the "no bite" command very early. This board has some great threads to guide you in many areas of training. Puppy kindergarten will be very helpful, and hopefully your breeder can give you some good advice. I've involved all of my kids (even my 3 year old) with training. He likes to tell her to sit, and reward her with a treat...all under my supervision, of course. In general, Rosie seems to genuinely love to be around kids...my own, plus the other kids who come over to play. When she's had enough of them, she goes into her crate. The kids know that when she goes in her crate, they need to leave her alone. I think it's important for the puppy to have her own space where she can be alone and nobody will bother her. One other thing that we do is to have the kids take turns feeding Rosie her meals. That way, she understands that all of the humans in the house are in charge of her food. So far, things have worked well for us. She hasn't shown any aggression with any of us, and she's turning into a very sweet, gentle, playful girl. Good luck with your puppy! I think May would be a great time to get a dog. You'll have plenty of good weather for outdoor play and housebreaking. Have fun with the planning!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments! I like the idea of involving the kids and making it their project. I plan on implementing a "responsibility chart" at the first of the year with the oldest. I like the gates idea. I also like the idea of giving her a toy to run around with while playing with them. I definately believe in the crate. I like the idea that she can go there for refuge. I remember my golden puppy when I was a kid....those nips...ouch! Thats a great idea about the book. Im going to try to find one. I do feel like this is another baby without giving birth! I figured I may as well have all my "children" at one time so they can all grow up together. Our children are 18 months apart...planned...and I have never thought of this but our new baby is 18 months apart from the youngest! This is such a great forum. Thanks guys- I really appreciate it.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
It will depend on the Golden you buy. I bought a very fearful golden and she does not like children all the time. I did socialize her and took her to puppy classes, but she is afraid of people, noises, and pretty much everything. I have to make sure I have a close eye on the dog and the kids when they are awake. My puppy will growl, snap and possible bite if she feels bugged/scared/threatened in anyway when she doesn't want to be. I did speak with a behaviorist and did my homework at home, but it's not working out the way I planned and I can't afford them to come out again at this moment. My two youngest are 6 and 8. I'm doing everything to work with my girl. My puppy also has a droopy eye issue and may need surgery on both eyes in the future. Even though we love Bailey with all our hearts, I honestly will never buy a female again. My next Golden will be a male!

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I have a German Shepherd puppy, male, that I brought home when my baby was four months old. They are best buds, and the puppy is wonderful with him! Now they are almost nine and almost seven months, respectively :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I dont have any (human) children, so i was sure to introduce Zep to kids at an early age. He LOVES kids!! He has realized that they often smell like food, have food pieces on their clothes or like to feed him their food, so he follows my friend's two year old all around the house, hoping for a tid bit.

I love the idea of rotating who is feeding them! What an excellent idea!! Also, supervision, supervision, supervision!!! Until pup is over the biting stage, i'd make sure to supervise all pup/child interactions as you would not want play to go wrong...

I also learned that when we are out and about and a child wants to pet him, i ask the kid to let Zep smell him first as that is only polite. I worry about some kids that seem to want to just run up to him and hug him, although when this has happened, he just sits there like a good boy.

Have fun with the new addition!!! Please post pics as we love to see puppies and kids having a grand 'ole time!!

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
It will depend on the Golden you buy. I bought a very fearful golden and she does not like children all the time. I did socialize her and took her to puppy classes, but she is afraid of people, noises, and pretty much everything. I have to make sure I have a close eye on the dog and the kids when they are awake. My puppy will growl, snap and possible bite if she feels bugged/scared/threatened in anyway when she doesn't want to be. I did speak with a behaviorist and did my homework at home, but it's not working out the way I planned and I can't afford them to come out again at this moment. My two youngest are 6 and 8. I'm doing everything to work with my girl. My puppy also has a droopy eye issue and may need surgery on both eyes in the future. Even though we love Bailey with all our hearts, I honestly will never buy a female again. My next Golden will be a male!
As an aside, wow, sorry to hear you are having such fear problems with Bailey. She makes up for it with her good looks - she is such a beautiful dog. She's young yet and with your love and understanding, I'm sure she will improve and improve and improve. I hope things get easier for you soon!!!

My son is 8 which I know is older than your set - but the only issue we've had here with their relationship is that Max still doesn't see Leif as a rung higher in the family order most of the time. As Leif has mannerisms and some issues most 8 year olds do not have, there's not much I can do about it except let them work it out it out themselves so I'm not always stepping in. Once a day, Max's mouth is connected to my son's behind as they zoom across the living room. Once a week at the least, Leif gets a scratch or something from Max playing hard. On the bright side, they also snuggle on the couch, Leif whispers secrets to Max and they are at all times best friends.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts