Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup recently got some sort of GI bug and I had to do the whole chicken and rice thing for a few days. If you search the net or these forums, you definitely see many, many posts and tips that you should feed your dog chicken and rice to help with an upset stomach. What I couldn't find were the answers to two questions:

1. How much chicken and rice to feed?
2. What is the ratio?

So, I asked my vet and here are the answers and my contribution to the internetz.

1. Since chicken and rice aren't dehydrated, a good rule of thumb is to double (volume-wise) the amount of kibble to figure out the amount of chicken and rice.
2. Use a 50:50 ratio.

For instance, if you normally feed 3 cups of kibble in a day, the equivalent chicken/rice combo would be 6 cups, of which 3 cups would be chicken and 3 cups rice. One other tip I found was to split the feedings into 3 or 4 meals instead of the normal two.

Hope this helps others. Feel free to add your own tips, too! :)

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
If you are doing the chicken and rice thing it is best to use brown rice it has more nutritional value than white rice. Also I boil my chicken and then I use that water to cook the rice.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I never new to double the amount. I have never had to do that with my goldens but I'll keep that in mind.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Have used the chicken and rice recipe numerous times with my pups. I use 50:50 ratio and use the broth from the boiled chicken to make the rice. I never knew to double the amount of kibble fed, though. Good to know! :wavey:

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,586 Posts
I usually feed a mixture of 1 part chicken to 2 or 3 parts rice. Boiled chicken and rice is highly digestable so you can feed less of it than kibble. On the occasions that I feed it, I give a 55 pound adult golden 3/4 cup, twice a day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts