Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty sure at this point that chicken is the culprit in Milo's ongoing soft stool issues. I took the fresh chicken out of his diet and the diarrhea stopped, but they are still just softly formed. He has been eating Fromm Chicken ala Veg for kibble so I;m wondering if the chicken based kibble kept him irritated and adding the fresh chicken sent him over the edge. His coat doesn't look like it should either and he seems thin to me lately...

I'm hoping you wonderful folks can give me some input on good quality red meat based foods, he's not a big fan of fish from what I've gathered.

I have ordered a small bag of Evo Red and was maybe hoping to try Orijens Regional Red, but havent' been able to find it close by. Solid Gold was another I was thinking of trying, but was concerned about their not disclosing whether Ethoxyquin is present.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Natures Variety has a venison or beef food. And the Fromm 4 star line has pork, salmon, or duck. Innova has a red meat food also. Most brands also offer a lamb based food.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Wellness, California natural, solid gold, and many others have non-chicken based foods. California natural in particular is geared for dogs with allergies.

·
Rosco's Mom
85 Posts
Acana has a lamb and apple formula which has oats in it which does not contain chicken. It's a semi allergy formula, one protein and one grain. Acana also has a Grasslands formula which is grain free and a lamb based formula with a little duck which was recently added to it. Additionally Acana makes a formula called Pacifica which is also grain free but is a fish based diet.
Wellness also makes a lamb formula and a whitefish formula as well.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Innova makes a Red Meat kibble.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Tucker eats California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato. There is no chicken in it and he does extremely well on it. It's made by Natura. They also make a lamb meal formula.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I bought a bag of Evo Red Bites and a bag of California Natural Lamb and Rice, I going to see how he does on the grainless Evo and if that is not the answer I'll see how he does on the CNL&R formula. Initially thought the Evo may be workable, but this is day two of the transition and he stinks and is a little mushy again. I only gave him 1/2 cup mixed with his normal kibble that we are transitioning away from.

Thanks for the input and ideas!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Well, I bought a bag of Evo Red Bites and a bag of California Natural Lamb and Rice, I going to see how he does on the grainless Evo and if that is not the answer I'll see how he does on the CNL&R formula. Initially thought the Evo may be workable, but this is day two of the transition and he stinks and is a little mushy again. I only gave him 1/2 cup mixed with his normal kibble that we are transitioning away from.

Thanks for the input and ideas!
I've found that when transitioning a dog off a grain inclusive high carb kibble to a grain free low carb kibble that the transition needs to go super slowly. One half cup of EVO on the 2nd day may well be too much too soon. Back up and only give 1/4 cup of EVO with the old kibble for 3-4 days and proceed accordingly. You might also try adding a spoonful of plain canned pumpkin to each meal during the transition. It could easily take several weeks before you see normal stools.

One other important point. The EVO Red has 527 kcal/cup compared to the Fromm Chicken A la Veg at 370 kcal/cup. You could easily be feeding him more calories than he is used to and that in itself can result in soft stools.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input!

So far he is at a 50/50 split and moving to 30/70 tonight with the lamb and rice, he's doing really well on it, good stools and no gas :)crossfing). I think we found a keeper!

I am going to keep in mind some of the other brands so I can change it up on occasion, but am amazed at how many "non-chicken" kibble still has chicken parts somewhere on the ingredient list, I found this with all the Fromm foods unfortunately, even the fish based ones...so for anyone else in the same boat as I am make sure you really read the label thoroughly!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts