Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Suze
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone Again!

We've figured out that Wookie is allergic/intolerant of chicken - gives soft poop and can vomit if he has too much of it. He's doing very well on his beef-based food now and his poops are finally firm and good sized and nice and compact.

What treats have you used that were great quality? Most we come across are chicken based or have chicken meal in it - even greenies! We'd ideally like to have them be small or broken up for training. I know too much liver can be pretty rich for puppy tummies.

Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Tayla in Chinese medicine is what is called a fire dog. She doesn't do well with "hot" foods, of which chicken is one. Beef is fine for her so I dehydrate a lot of beef liver, poor cuts of steak, etc. A Nesco dehydrator is fairly inexpensive and will pay for itself quickly. I also have done sweet potatoes, heart and kidney. You have almost limitless options if you dehydrate your own foods.

Reactions: Suzee_Tee

·
Registered
991 Posts
Sparkles has the same intolerence to Chicken, I use Zukes mini naturals in salmon, rabbit or peanut butter, these are great and really small or I use beef liver. There is also the Natural Balance L.I.T. Limited Ingredient Treats Potato & Duck Dog Formula that I use that she loves. I break them up and carry them in my treat pouch all the time If your pup likes carrots I use these the most nice them small all mine love them.

Reactions: Suzee_Tee

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dehydrated sweet potatoes are great. I sometimes make my own, but if I don't have time I get the Sam's Yams Big Boyz.

·
Suze
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, maybe a food dehydrator is the way to go! I used to give Wooks Zuke's liver bites, but they gave him the puddles, though to be fair, it was not long after we brought him home, so it may have been the transition as well.

I'll look into the potato and duck and dehydrating. It's kinda frustrating, because even foods labeled as "x" & "y" still have chicken meal in it! I've learned to read labels very carefully.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I buy a lot of chicken and egg free training treats. Here are some good options:

Darford mini hearts. The holistic line contains no chicken or egg.

The Cloud Star brand has many chicken and egg free treats. I buy moist Buddy Biscuits and Itty Bitty Buddy Biscuits for training. Only the chicken flavor has chicken. I also get the original bigger biscuits -- Molly gets one every night before bed time.

Dried lamb lung (Merrick) and salmon jerky (Plato).

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
349 Posts
I also have the Nesco dehydrator. It really is a wonderful appliance to have. I have made beef jerky treats for my dog and also banana and strawberry treats. Sweet potato is a great idea!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts