Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Graham's momma too!
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I am super excited. My hubby surprised me with a weekend get away with a best friend of mine this coming weekend. I have NEVER been and always hear such wonderful things. Where should we go, what should we do, and most importantly, where should we EAT? Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Did I mention I am super excited. WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
We always eat at Lawrey's when we're there. Great prime rib, Yorkshire pudding. But watch it...veggies are extra, like $3.50 a serving. But great beef, potatoes, pudding and salad. It on Ontario Street just off Michigan Avenue, downtown.

·
Registered
13,067 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Be sure to go 'downstairs' and see the city under the city. Not sure about safety but we took a peek, really cool down there.
That's where the Billy Goat Tavern is located. We actually had a very nice homeless man get off the bus to lead us down there so we wouldn't get lost. It was a great experience!

·
Graham's momma too!
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips everyone! I am writing them down so I don't forget any of them. How bout the Shed Aquarium? Awesome?

·
Graham's momma too!
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts

·
Didge's Mommy!
1,144 Posts
There are so many things! AND so many good restaurants... what type of things do you and your friend like to do? How many days will be here? Do you know where you're staying?
The Art Museum is fabulous, just walking down Michigan Avenue, the lakefront....

·
Graham's momma too!
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We are staying at the Hilton and coming in on Friday evening and leaving sometime on Sunday. I am open to anything, so is my friend. The Shedd aquarium is on my list for sure. Love museums, shopping, sight seeing, of course, eating, maybe a little wine drinking and major chocolate consumption would be a bonus.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I love Rick Bayless and his resturant Topolobambo and the Fronteria grill. It is expensive though but well worth it!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Not sure if it's still there but out Michigan Ave towards the lake, walking distance from the river, is a Cheesecake Factory! You mentioning chocolate reminded me.

I love window shopping in all the fabulous jewelry stores: Tiffany's, Cartier.

There's also a restaurant a bit closer to the river that is nice for lunch. It's on a corner, upstairs of stores and looks out over Michigan Ave and all the shoppers. Great service! Casual with good food. Sorry, don't remember the name but you can see the people eating if you look up. Yep, that's the one!

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
The thing with Chicago is there is so many things to do and so little time to do it! A museum usually takes me about 4+ hours to go through (but I like to linger and read things and stare at exhibits), so usually a trip to Chitown consists of one museum visit. I don't know how you are, but I guess I'm saying this to warn you: don't expect to see everything! I would focus on maybe 4 main things you want to see, like the Field Museum, the Shedd Aquarium, Millennium Park, and maybe the Art Institute or whatever, and stick to that. Don't try to cram everything in or you won't be able to enjoy it.

The Shedd Aquarium is always fun and it's right on the lake, which is cool.

I second Angelina's suggestion of Fronteria... SO good.

Have fun. I can't wait to move back home and visit Chicago again!!

·
Registered
13,067 Posts
You had me at sangria, LOL!
It was INCREDIBLE sangria! And this is definitely not a formal place at ALL. It is a bar downstairs and the restaurant upstairs. But loud and fun and full of atmosphere. I'd go there again in a heartbeat. We went on a night it was POURING rain - just coming down in sheets - and it was packed. I can't recommend it enough.

Reactions: LibertyME

·
Registered
291 Posts
OHHHHH reading your thread just got me all excited!!! My hubby has given me a only girl's weekend in Chicago for my B-day!! My B-day is this Friday, but because of his traveling I wont be going to Chicago until Dec 8-11, I am so super excited!!!! 2 of my sisters in law live there and the other one will be coming from Michigan, so the 4 of us are planning on having some major fun!!! I will write down the name of the tapas bar, I am from Spain!! and if I can find a place that serves food from home for sure will be trying it!!! I will tell them I want to go to this one, SANGRIA!!!! I make a mean sangria!!!;)

Have lots of fun and tell us all about it!!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
It was INCREDIBLE sangria! And this is definitely not a formal place at ALL. It is a bar downstairs and the restaurant upstairs. But loud and fun and full of atmosphere. I'd go there again in a heartbeat. We went on a night it was POURING rain - just coming down in sheets - and it was packed. I can't recommend it enough.

This, it sounds just like back home!!!!!!!!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Chicago

So glad all of you are coming to Chicago!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts