Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Golden, Kooper, is almost 10 months old. When we first got him, and we had to go to work, he was put in a crate until he was 7 months old. The last few months, we have left him out of the crate while we are at work. We did this gradually. He chews up his toys, like there is no tomorrow. The one thing that has been happening lately is that he has started chewing on other items, such as throw rugs. He has plenty of toys, but still goes to the rugs. I am not sure if he is bored or if he has separation anxiety. Would it be best to go back to the crate when we are out of the house? He does not chew on the rug everyday, but I would say a couple of times a week. He has done it a few times when we re at home, so maybe it is for attention or he is bored? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I would go back to putting him in the crate for his own safety and to protect your stuff. 7 months is pretty young to be out unsupervised .

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would go back to putting him in the crate for his own safety and to protect your stuff. 7 months is pretty young to be out unsupervised .
I agree! Gus is super chill and never had a chewing problem as a puppy, but we kept him in a crate while we left the house until he was a little over a year. We just collapsed the crate and put it in storage and he is one and a half. This was mostly for my piece of mind when leaving him alone because I knew that he was safe, and there was nothing he could get into.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts