Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Laura
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it was day 3 of free roaming in the apartment and sure enough she chewed the base board next to the front door! :doh: .. Nothing else though, and she just recently took up this habit...

She did so good for 1st 2 days, just not today! I am going to Petsmart this weekend to find more chewing options/toys. I have bitter apple spray, but it doesn't seem to phase her. I do have to praise her for not going potty though. She is definitely doing great with that (except for the occasional excitement accident)

Anyways, on a lighter note - Here are some new pics of Skylie! She has gotten so big. I think she is between 55-60 pounds. She is getting spayed in about 2 weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
The bitter apple didn't seem to phase Sam when I sprayed it on things (including my hands when he was in piranha mode) but what DID work for us was to spray it directly into his mouth, then as he watched, spray it on the object we didn't want him to chew.

·
Mom to Cannon
659 Posts
Bitter apple is good!! We used that on parts of our carpet when Cannon was younger and wanted to chew them up and it worked well :)

Skylie is getting SO BIG....what a sweetie :)

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
Aww, what a little sweetie!! Try the Bitter Orange Creme. Seems to work better than the apple in some cases and it stays gooky longer. If you don't want to put it straight on wood, you can put some masking tape on first!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
She is getting so big and so pretty. That one picture of her standing and looking out the window reminded me of a meerkat. Not so much in looks but the way her body is standing

·
Laura
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aww, what a little sweetie!! Try the Bitter Orange Creme. Seems to work better than the apple in some cases and it stays gooky longer. If you don't want to put it straight on wood, you can put some masking tape on first!
orange creme? thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely look into that

·
Registered
203 Posts
1st of all your little Skylie is absolutely gorgeous. I understand where you are comming from. With Neo when he was under a year old, he was a chewer of the carpet. What we did was put the bitter apple on the carpet and when we caught him chewing the carpet we would spray the bitter apple into his mouth. It would get him to leave the carpet alone for a short time, but he always went back to it. Thats when we realized that he wasn't able to be left unattended quite yet. My suggestion is maybe Skylie needs to be in the crate when yall aren't home. Our crate saved our house and it wasn't until Neo was about 18 months old that he was able to be left alone without his crate. Good luck with the chewing!!!!! Its a tough behavior to break. :doh:

·
Laura
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1st of all your little Skylie is absolutely gorgeous. I understand where you are comming from. With Neo when he was under a year old, he was a chewer of the carpet. What we did was put the bitter apple on the carpet and when we caught him chewing the carpet we would spray the bitter apple into his mouth. It would get him to leave the carpet alone for a short time, but he always went back to it. Thats when we realized that he wasn't able to be left unattended quite yet. My suggestion is maybe Skylie needs to be in the crate when yall aren't home. Our crate saved our house and it wasn't until Neo was about 18 months old that he was able to be left alone without his crate. Good luck with the chewing!!!!! Its a tough behavior to break. :doh:
yes Skylie has also went after the carpet before as well. She is doing better but still has her days. I really think it is boredom. She constantly has to have something in her mouth. We have went through so many toys that she has shredded... We also also a kong and other rubber toys but she doesn't seem to care about those...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts