Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this actually ok? I keep changing sticks up for a bully stick when he goes outside because I'm afraid to let him chew on sticks and get lodged in his tummy. But he's relentless about going to one particular spot and finding old cedar chips that are there and trying to eat them. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
268 Posts
does he eat them? my dog chews the sticks but leaves us a pile of chips to pick up later (fun when he sneaks them into the house).

as far as i see it, it's all fiber.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does he eat them? my dog chews the sticks but leaves us a pile of chips to pick up later (fun when he sneaks them into the house).

as far as i see it, it's all fiber.

Yes, he eats them. And since I've tried to correct it, now when he gets a stick and I say his name, he bolts because he knows I'm going to take it away.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have so many sticks in my backyard, there is no possible way I can stop it. Sometimes you have to let a dog be a dog. With an 8 week old puppy around the house, there is enough of me telling him NO. I don't fret over sticks in the back yard.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I have so many sticks in my backyard, there is no possible way I can stop it. Sometimes you have to let a dog be a dog. With an 8 week old puppy around the house, there is enough of me telling him NO. I don't fret over sticks in the back yard.
Our backyard is wooded, so impossible to stop, I don't fret about it either.

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
It really is a dog thing... I have friends who have sticks everywhere and the dogs just munch away. That said, once Sammy was chewing up a stick he got a piece splintered in his throat. We took him to the vet and they thought he would be fine, but he hacked so much it then caused an infection, so back to the vet... :yuck:

Now I just try and keep an eye on them...

·
lizandhector
158 Posts
Zoey will actually find sticks on walks and bring them home to chew! I let her, she seems so proud of what she has brought home.... although it is always a big mess if she brings it in the house! I just keep an eye on her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts