Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
New golden owner
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so the bitter worked on a few things buy I can't cover my carpet in it because of my kiddos. I keep slapping my hands to make a loud noise and saying no. Then handing him his toys saying good. Hopefully this can break soon or my wife won't let me keep him. I kinda got him against her will anyway. Really working with him to get him trained quickly. Still no potty accidents

·
Registered
372 Posts
Have you tried redirecting rather than clapping your hands? Puppies do have a need to chew on things since they are teething. If you "trade" him for a nylabone or something, he will learn what is acceptable or not to chew on. He may pick up on it better than startling him and then giving a toy, as your puppy probably doesn't associate the toy with not chewing on the carpet at that point. I have found, for my dogs, that excessive praise for doing the right thing will get them on track faster than corrections for doing the wrong thing...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Our 4 month old Aspen had that same problem at first.. chewing up the carpet. We ended up buying an additional lambswool bed pad to put in the area he was chewing on, in hopes that he would chew on that instead of the carpet. It worked!! We figured it was cheaper to replace the bed instead of our carpet, and he actually has chewed the bed less now that he realizes he likes to actually lay on it. We also did the clapping and loud NO, while substituting with a chew toy... but the bed seemed to be what actually fixed the problem.

Good luck!

·
Registered
296 Posts
You might also want to use a lot of praise when he chews on the correct thing. It is actually more effective than the loud noise because dogs like kids crave attention. And if they get negative attention (even if it is clapping and a loud noise), it is still attention. But if your dog only gets a toy substituted and a lot of praise when he chews on that, it is very effective because chewing on the right thing is all that gets him attention. After you give him his chew toy, continue to praise him every few minutes for maintaining the good behavior.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Nugget had a "I love carpet" stage too. Fortunately it didn't last too long and he has outgrown it.

We found that a combination of "NO" and then a substitution of a nice chew toy when he abandoned the carpet worked. It also turned out that he had a favorite spot that seemed to interest him. We moved a piece of furniture over it and that also helped.

Hopefully he will win your wife's heart!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
if you have a carpet pad under the carpet...BE SURE he is not eating any of it. From experience...this does not pass and will require surgery to remove it!

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Do you have a crate for your puppy? I would correct him, give him something else to chew on, and praise him for chewing on the appropriate item. I'd probably do that 2-3 times and if the carpet chewing starts up again calmly put him in the crate for a time out. And then try again :)

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
You could also try blocking of the space where he chews. I did that to keep Tucker from a place he wanted to chew. You probably should have him either crated or in an ex pen at this stage. When he's free he needs someone's total attention.

I'm not sure why you can't use the bitter? I don't think it will bother the children unless they lick the rug.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts