Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My golden is 7 months and he still chews EVERYTHING. Does anyone know how I can correct this behaviour. He has plent of toys, but he just likes everything that isn't his.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Rookie is also a serious chewer. Here's what worked for me when he was a pup.

- Make sure he has plenty of chew toys of his own. Have some that are harder, some that are softer, etc. so he has a variety of things to chew on.
- Make sure that if you aren't in the room with him, he is either in his crate or in a chew-proof environment.
- Use bitter apple on anything he starts to chew on, but shouldn't.
- If you catch him chewing, correct with a loud "no" or "ep, ep!"
- This is important. If he's chewing on something he shouldn't be, after you correct him and take it away, replace it with something he can and should chew on. If he starts to chew on that, praise him.
- As a matter of fact, every time you see him chewing on his own chew toys or bones, make sure you praise him. Every single time I caught Rookie grabbing one of his own chew toys, I would tell him what a good boy he was and praise him profusely.

Hang in there!! If you're consistent, they do learn eventually!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
I can relate...my babies are 9 and 11 months and still do that. I will typically take away what they have and offer them one of their own toys. Sometimes we play a game...I will put 2 things down..one of theirs, one of mine. If they go to take mine, I tell them to "leave it" and they will resort to taking their own......most of the time it works. I found teaching them "leave it" and "don't touch" works wonders. I know some people use bitter apple spray to deter the puppies from chewing certain things but I've never used it....maybe should have though. They're not as bad as they used to be so they do grow out of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for your tips. I will try them. He is so bad at chewing he even eats his Kongs! I can't any of his toys longer than a month.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Get some of the bitter apple, if you havent already. When he starts to bite on something, move him away, then spray the spot. When he goes back to chew on it he will taste it and should stop. The bitter apple will wear off so it has to be reapplied. Be careful not to get it on your hands because if you taste it, IT IS NASTY.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
Thank you guys for your tips. I will try them. He is so bad at chewing he even eats his Kongs! I can't any of his toys longer than a month.
Sounds like my Lincoln.....he also chewed his Kong in half. You're doing well if your toys last a month....ours maybe a couple of days!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
We used vicks vapor rub on household furniture like the bottom of chair rungs & it worked great!! They hate the smell & didn't even go near it! Just a small smear will put the smell there! good luck!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My first golden Brandi was the worst chewer up until she turned 2 and I wish I had known about crates and bitter apple 18 yrs ago. Ive already had to spray bitter apple on my dining room table as Brody decided that looked tasty lol.

·
Registered
86 Posts
When Daisy was really young, for some reason the bitter apple didn't deter her at all, she only started to dislike it when she was about 3 months old. As mentioned above, watch him like a hawk, as soon as he chews something he should't, give your 'leave' command etc and immediately put a favourite toy in his mouth with lots of excited praise and a little treat.

I'm so pleased to say Daisy now 5 months old has 'finally' stopped chewing everything, but I'm guessing a lot of that is also down to the fact she's virtually finished teething now - hurrah! lol Things really do get easier.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
My Shelley use to be a bad chewer everyone here knows what trouble i've had with Shelley. She chewed one of her beds up,chewed up toys etc but now at 19 months old she has stoped chewing everything still digs holes but thats her. She basicly out grew chewing with some help. If she chewed something she wasn't allowed to chew i would tell her no and give her a toy. She has destroyed about 8 toys and 3 beds but is alot better now she may still chew here and there but doesn't destroy them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts