Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Hi! :wavey: I'm new to this forum, and have not yet been able to find an answer to this... Hope I'm not bringing up old news here... Sorry if I'm repeating old questions!)

My Golden is now 10 months old, and has always been good at sticking to her chew-toys (we make sure she has a variety of textures etc to chew). We've never been afraid of leaving anything out, as she has always understood what she is allowed to chew on or not.

Suddenly though, now that she is almost 11 months old, she has started chewing on corners of WALLS. One spot in the living room, and one spot closer to the entryway. We have had her since she was 8 weeks old, and don't know how to handle this, or what is causing it. Does anyone have any ideas what could have brought this on? I walk her daily for at least 1 hour, and I am a home-maker, so she's never left alone for very long. I take her out frequently for the bathroom as well, so that can't be it. Also- I have caught her chewing on the corner while I am home; so it doesn't seem to be an anxious thing that happens while she's home alone....

Any advice is welcome!:confused:

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Could be happening as a result of boredom. A good walk is a wonderful thing, but dogs sometimes need a little more mental stimulation, activities that 'exercise' their brains. Even short 5- 10 minute training sessions practicing known skills or teaching new ones, or teaching simple tricks can be fun and burn some energy. You may want to consider implementing the '101 things to do with a box' game, it is fun for both of you!

Pet Enrichment Game - 101 Things To Do With Anything | Cincinnati Dog Training

Also ensuring she has appropriate chews, and/or using 'food puzzle' toys, such as a Kong stuff with kibble, banana, peanut butter, whatever she likes, so she has to 'work' at it, or something as simple as scattering a couple of handfuls of kibble in the yard and letting her 'go find' them, can help to work the mind and tire her out.

·
Registered
13,873 Posts
My guess is boredom, too. Can you get her out for a second hour at some point in the day and play ball, or give her a chance to run or swim?

·
Registered
Roger, Golden Retriever
5 Posts
I have seen that as calcium deficiency, I introduced to my pup a some dried out egg shells and mixed with some Kefir (for puppies) in his diet to help him out, and the chewing stopped then
These pups are growing and they need calcium to help their bones.
If not explored, I suggest you to try that out too

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.