Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
& Sawyer's & Quinn's too!
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious -- Does your GR actually chew his/her food? Sophie just seems to snarf it down without chewing. I wondered if it was since we switched to Fromm 4 Star (small pieces), but my husband insists she didn't chew the Wellness either.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Misty and Holly both reslly chow down..they chew some of their food, but mostly the inhale it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
'scarfing' as I think its called can be very dangerous -as another poster just mentioned their dog inhales their food!!!
From what Ive read eating in such a manor can increase the chances of choking,obviously,and aspiration pneumonia.
There is a solution to this which is hand feeding which im sure what others will suggest, to encourage your dog to eat at a normal pace.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Bogey is a slow eater. Ace also inhales his. I do a few things to slow him down. I will take the bowl away while he is eating and then put it back down or I will put his food in a muffin tin, which slows them down a lot. I just purchased an elevated dish for him - that helps some dogs too.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Finn eats very slowly but he still doesn't seem to chew a lot I hear the odd crunch but mostly he eats very quietly and it doesn't look like he chews.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
My Maggie wastes no time inhaling her food. No aspirations yet. I'm a nurse and am very comfortable with CPR.

·
Lubbin mi prends!
8,968 Posts
I always thought our cat is a fast eater but than came Lilly and she is a food inhaler! I try to slow her down by adding a little water to her kibbles, I know there are commercial bowls out there which might help to slow them down but I haven't tried those.

Heike

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
When Tess gets her food in her bowl, she will eat fast, even though we have a slow feed bowl...the best thing for her is getting her kibble through the Linkables, then it takes her about 20 minutes and as the kibble spreads around on the floor, it's a game as well!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Jonah also inhales his food. To slow him down by a few seconds, I divide into a muffin tin. He eats 3 times a day so there isn't as much food eaten at one setting.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We also feed Fromm, so I know what you mean about the tiny kibble! It almost looks like cat food. Tucker has always chewed his food, but Tyson inhales his and doesn't chew most of it. We have to put his meals in a Kong to slow him down, which has helped a lot. We're hoping that he'll start to slow down when he gets a little older.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I couldn't believe how quickly Charlie finished meals when I first got him, about 3 seconds it seemed!
I ended up putting his food in several toys and just throwing some on the floor which slowed him down a lot.
I had to feed him in another room as when his food was finished he looked for my spaniels food as he was a really slow eater.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts