Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a bottle of Rocco & Roxie "No Chew" yesterday afternoon. Maisie is 11 weeks, in that toddler teething phase. She has been chewing on my pedestal table legs so I needed a deterrent to that behavior. I sprayed the legs and Maisie went over and seemed attracted to it and licked the legs. She immediately started to zoom around the kitchen at high speed.
This caused me to look further into the ingredients. The very first article that I found described Copaiba oil like this:
Copaiba is a stimulant oleoresin obtained from the trunk of several pinnate-leaved South American leguminous trees (genus Copaifera). The thick, transparent exudate varies in color from light gold to dark brown, depending on the ratio of resin to essential oil. Copaiba is used in making varnishes and lacquers.
I implore you to think twice before using this product. I do NOT recommend. I sent an email to their contact address this morning. Will let you know if I hear back. I'm a laid back individual and this made me livid!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
A pup that age should not be allowed to wonder around the house. Either in the crate or on lead attached to an owner. Otherwise, they will chew and pee as they like...! You have to catch them before they do it or as they do it to train them at that age.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A pup that age should not be allowed to wonder around the house. Either in the crate or on lead attached to an owner. Otherwise, they will chew and pee as they like...! You have to catch them before they do it or as they do it to train them at that age.
I have been working on my laptop at my kitchen table (gates confine her to the kitchen area right now) and she plays with her toys at my feet. However, she migrates over to the pedestal feet from time to time. She is right next to me but I am working and don't always catch on the she is chewing the leg, not a chew toy. No issues peeing, I take her out regularly. First Golden that I have had that chews everything but I guess I have been lucky in the past since I hear it is very common.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Wow, seems crazy they would use that as an ingredient. I hope she settles down and is okay. We used a bitter apple spray that worked well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, seems crazy they would use that as an ingredient. I hope she settles down and is okay. We used a bitter apple spray that worked well.
Yeah, does seem crazy. I never had to use anything with my other dogs. There really is nothing else I see around that she can get in trouble with. I have a large kitchen and this is where her crate is located. She jumps up on the raised brick hearth and settles there I think because it has a higher vantage point. She has brought one of her chew toys up there, actually better for me when she is there because I can look over my computer and see her. There are sliding doors to my right that go out to the fenced side and back yards so location is great. I can see that this little one is going to put me through my paces! Good thing she is cute.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I have been working on my laptop at my kitchen table (gates confine her to the kitchen area right now) and she plays with her toys at my feet. However, she migrates over to the pedestal feet from time to time. She is right next to me but I am working and don't always catch on the she is chewing the leg, not a chew toy. No issues peeing, I take her out regularly. First Golden that I have had that chews everything but I guess I have been lucky in the past since I hear it is very common.
Put her on a 6' lead, then when she moves over to chew you will know it and be able to correct her. Lead training is important as in time she will be retrained on a lead when walking with you anywhere, right? We never let our puppies wonder around, nothing good comes from this wondering!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Put her on a 6' lead, then when she moves over to chew you will know it and be able to correct her. Lead training is important as in time she will be retrained on a lead when walking with you anywhere, right? We never let our puppies wonder around, nothing good comes from this wondering!
In theory that sounds perfect but she is right at my feet and the table feet are right below. Maybe I need to use the built in counter desk rather than the table. That way I would feel her move the leash when going to the table legs. This might work. A little compromise on my view but if it works, that would be great! She is already doing very well on the lead but practice is always a good thing. Thanks for that idea!

·
Kate
23,764 Posts
Set up a crate in your kitchen.

If she starts chewing on table legs, pick her up and put her in the crate - give her something appropriate to chew on, and go back to work.

Edible chews are your friend since they satisfy chewing needs + are food based so pup keeps working at them. Yummy Combs, Soup bones, even the nylabone healthy edibles, etc.

Don't fight battles you don't need to. Use the crate during the day while you are working unless pup is behaving herself outside the crate.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Pepper works well as an alternative, doesn't hurt them but the smell makes them sneeze like it does us so they don't want to go near it as their noses are so sensitive. We had to resort to pepper as a last measure when ours started chewing on little rocks. I've found the best solution is just not for them to have access to what you don't want them to chew, and immediately say no if they do get to them and redirect with a safe chew toy :)

·
Registered
153 Posts

While tempting, remember they are still puppies. At the very least I did not allow my puppy off lead until the basic commands were second nature. My puppy will be 6 months in July and has supervised free reign in the house, crated when we leave, off lead on our property, on lead off, but comes, sits, stops, No bite, release, go home & heel for outdoor commands, she is doing very well with indoor commands as well; we started her early and EVERYONE in the house is on the same page with the use of commands and hand gestures which we associate with each command in the event she ever has loss of hearing. Be sure to mix in a lot of play as well. As for the peeing, keep a journal of ehn your puppy eats ad pees/poops and BE CONSISTENT; this is their schedule and. you have to repeat it until they stop peeing indoors. Next time they do...take the rag you cleaned it off with and place it in your yard where YOU want them to go and throw it in a zip lock bag to use for after their meals to suggest they may want to go there, as per your journal entries. In our case our puppy is now going out 4 times a day a huge reduction from every two hours. Good Luck, I hope some of this helps!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Logan wasn’t a chewer really other than teething toys, but Luke tried to take out my baseboards and furniture. Bitter Apple worked and he stopped trying because he didn’t want to get a taste of it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Like everyone here, we used bitter apple and it was incredible. Later on as we gave her more freedom, she'd go up to items and make like she wanted to chew on them. We'd take the bottle of bitter apple spray and just put it in her line of sight and she'd change her mind. It was almost a tool for us to tell her that what she was eyeing was not for chewing!

·
Kate
23,764 Posts
Random curiosity.... do you wash all your furniture off after a while? Or do you just leave the buildup of pepper or whatever on it?

Wouldn't it be easier to just train "leave it"? :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts