Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! New member:) great to meet you all!
So I went traveling with my one year old female golden retriever (she turned one year old just the day before yesterday!) and we saw many other female goldens on our way, and they were much bigger/taller than she is! And older of course, some with curly fur(I guess most of the Goldens here have curly fur when they reach a certain age?)
I would really like to know if they still grow taller after one year old:) I'm kinda worried here that I didn't feed her well or didn't exercise enough with her... Her weight is a few kilograms less than normal
Thanks

Ps this is a pic we took on her bday!

Attachments

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
Chelsey is a beautiful girl :) and looks well proportioned

Goldens continue to fill out until t least 18 months, most take longer. Do the goldens you are comparing your girl to meet the golden standard?

My girl is small compared to many goldens and yet she easily received her CCA (a Golden Retriever Club of America certificate stated she is considered to be well within the standard).

Reactions: Chelsey

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Welcome to the GRF! Your girl is beautiful.

Chelsey looks like a good size to me. She's still young and will add muscle mass and fill out during her second year. It's hard to not compare, but were the other Goldens males (larger than females)? Overweight (many are)? or older? Goldens are still pretty imature both physically and mentally at a year.

Some Goldens have curly hair, some straight. At 1 y.o. Chelsey still doesn't have her full adult coat so that may change a bit as well.

·
Super Moderator Leader
50,315 Posts
Welcome to the forum, great to have you with us.

Chelsey is a beautiful young golden girl, thank you for sharing the great picture of her with us.

I agree with what the other members have already said. She will continue to fill out and her coat will come in more as she matures.

Hope you enjoy the forum!

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Welcome - from another small girl owner! :)

My 15-month-old is about the size of a 9-month-old. She is beautifully proportioned and has a beautiful coat and great muscle tone. She was like that all the way through her first year of growing. She just stopped growing a little early. I love her size - and so do so many people I meet. She is 44 pounds. She will likely still fill out a bit over the next few months, but she will never be the size of many of the Goldens around here. But I will always be able to pick her up!

·
Registered
926 Posts
I wouldn't worry. My 2 year old female is right in standard 22 inches at withers and 54lbs and I get comments that she looks small. Well, it's because the other females are either overweight and/or taller. One female was her height and 94lbs that we met on a walk - yikes. When we're with other performance dogs she looks just right.

·
Premium Member
4,679 Posts
The Golden Retriever Club of America has a breed standrard. In case you haven't seen it, here it is. I copied it from their website.

Size, Proportion, Substance -- Males 23-24 inches in height at withers; females 21 1/2-22 1/2 inches. Dogs up to one inch above or below standard size should be proportionately penalized. Deviation in height of more than one inch from the standard shall disqualify.

Reactions: Megora

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I am biased, but I really like those petite girls.

Cookie is 4 years old, and right around 50lb, or about 22.5 kg. You will get lots of "oh is it a puppy?" comments for many years to come. :)

·
KCGold
1,757 Posts
I have only field bred Golden's. My newest pup who is now 22 months looks very similar to your pup. Field breeders are going with lines that are shorter haired and smaller in general. I know my girl is small, but she can out run and out jump most in her class...our trainer refers to her as "crackerjack"....and that she is!

I will attached a recent full body picture of her....she is also my Avitar

Good Luck

Attachments

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
I am biased, but I really like those petite girls.

Cookie is 4 years old, and right around 50lb, or about 22.5 kg. You will get lots of "oh is it a puppy?" comments for many years to come. :)
And sometimes, that can come in handy! :p:

"Why.... yes. YES! This dog who is jumping around like a crazy young thing IS a puppy!!"

Reactions: BriGuy

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Kenzie is also small. She seemed like she quit growing around 9months.
People often assume she is still a puppy even though she is 2 years old. When she's acting like a brat, I don't correct them and let them think she is still a pup!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Keep in mind many goldens are too big by the breed standard.

And yes, Kea plays the puppy card all the time. She's 54 lbs and 3 years old. :) She didn't really start to fill out until she was 3, and apparently comes from "slow to mature" lines.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Chelsey looks great to me. As others have said they continue to fill out through their second year but I don't think they typically get any taller. The coat will fill out too especially after they're spayed.

Gracie is approaching the 1 yr. mark in mid-September and seems quite a bit smaller than many Goldens we've been running into but I think she's within standard weighing close to 60 lbs. She also has a straighter, light weight coat. It's very easy to care for. Here she is a few days ago and yes those people way in the distance were just standing there watching her. She had been running like the wind.

20140812_184319_resized.jpg

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
That is a good point about many of the goldens you see around are larger than the breed standard. Kenzie is small at 20", but I tell people that she's closer to the breed standard than what people are used to seeing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Jasper looks exactly like your Chelsey! He turned 1 in June and I often worry that he is small but he has good muscle tone and is active.. I think I just assumed he would be bigger at a year. I'm glad you asked this question as now I know he's a good size for his age! :)

·
Ashleigh
215 Posts
Kenzie is also small. She seemed like she quit growing around 9months.
People often assume she is still a puppy even though she is 2 years old. When she's acting like a brat, I don't correct them and let them think she is still a pup!
HA! this is too perfect. I'm also guilty of doing this!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts