Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd check in for a bit. Things are quiet on the home front. And Penny is doing great. We've had a few nice days to take her for walks. We go a little farther each time. And she loves being allowed to run at the barn again. Although it's so muddy that we have to wash her feet. I was surprised the first time we did it that she collapsed on her fixed leg. I was picking up each foot and washing it in a bucket of warm water. When I picked up her good hind leg, she couldn't bear the weight on her fixed leg. We're hoping it's just a strength problem that will go away in time. Until then, we've been supporting her with her sling.

I've been thru the mill with low blood sugars/insulin shock. Several everyday. Can't get a handle on the correct dose of insulin. I've really ramped up my workouts and I think THAT is making me more sensitive to insulin. I've been on insulin for several years now...this is a new problem. I had a severe low while doing chores last evening and another one at 2 a.m. This is really annoying...in order to bring my sugars up to a safe level, I have to eat on all the calories I've worked off. Not a good system. It's exhausting, discouraging and makes me cranky and then I cry.

If it's not one thing, it's another isn't it!!!! Never a dull moment between life and death!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I hope you can figure out the insulin thing--how frightening. I also hope Penny's stamina improves every day and that she can support weight on the fixed leg very soon.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I guess it's day-by-day for both of us. This morning she seemed not to want to go to the barn. Almost like she did it more for me than for herself. :(

Yesterday I had a low in the 50s while at the barn doing evening chores and then in the 40s @ 2:30 a.m. Doesn't everyone want a corned beef sandwich and a root beer in the middle of the night??? I'l say one thing for Penny's Dad: he's right up out of bed to get me whatever I need!! Can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to not have that kind of support. He, very actually, saves my life on a regular basis.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've heard about so many struggles with insulin. It must be very difficult. It must also be pretty time consuming. It seems like your husband is a big help, kudos to him! I hope you and penny can get back to normal real soon!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Thanks for checking in!

Glad to hear that Penny is doing well. I hope you guys are having the same great weather we have been having.

Take care of yourself. Hoping you can get a handle on your blood sugar. We'll be praying for you. Glad you have the support of your husband, many husbands cannot handle their wives health issues.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
glad to read that Penny is doing well, sorry that your diabetes is causing so much grief :(

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. He used to get a little panicky. I remember one time Jennifer told him to call 911 and he asked: what's the number. :D

I've really ramped up the workouts this week and I think it's no co-inky-dink that I've had problems all of a sudden this week. Sure wish I could take a peak at my 'engine' to see what's going on. Today I'm going on the theory that a severe low, semi-concious is an overdose. I think my exercise is changing the game. Today, I'm going with no basal insulin (as a type 2, I can experiment a little) and seeing what happens. I have fast acting insulin if it gets really too high. But I think maybe I don't need the long-acting insulin when I exercise like I have been.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I know in dogs anyway, tha if they exercise the insulin requirement goes down. What does your doctor say?

·
Kate
21,657 Posts
Yesterday I had a low in the 50s while at the barn doing evening chores and then in the 40s @ 2:30 a.m. Doesn't everyone want a corned beef sandwich and a root beer in the middle of the night???
Wow... :(

If you don't mind my asking - what # should you be at? 40-50 sounds horribly low. o_O

With my dad it's supposed to be in the 100's.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
DH has a floating insulin schedule dependent on when/how much he eats and activity level. Have you considered an insulin pump? Also, please consider some EXTEND bars... they are not for low reactions, but keep you from getting them over an 8 hour period. DH used them on days he skates alot and, on those days, especially before he goes to bed to avoid those middle of the night lows. You can order them online or many of the pharmacies carry them. Another plus, is they are only 150 cals.

http://www.extendbar.com/

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts
I glad to hear that Penny is doing better, but I'm sorry that your having a hard time with your insulin. It's great that you have such a good husband to be there for you. I hope you get everything figured out soon and can get back on track. It stinks that when you try to do something good for yourself like exercise it bites you in the but.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, Meg, I do best when my numbers are in the low 100s. As for my doctor, he seems to have given up. The repoire that we used to have is gone. Our hospital is doing a trial program to cut services to Medicare patients and yet improve quality. ??????? Jennifer works at the medical school so that information is accurate. So I suspect, since all the doctors are assoc. professors(salaried), that he's being reined in a bit. Also, it's not billed as an office call anymore but an out patient hospital visit to the tune of $100 co-pay. I generally go only for the required visits to get my meds renewed. I'm in the process of getting a new doctor...appointment isn't until the end of March.

Anyway, there's not much they can do except suggest this or that. I'm pretty good at figuring things out, identifying variables and hypotheticals. Like today: no insulin. Let's see what my diet and workout do on their own. I did take my oral anti-diabetic med. So far my b.s. (too bad there are better initials than that ) has stayed within 10 of when I woke up and that's absolutely great. Except that when I woke up it was high because of the sandwich and soda at 2:30 a.m. :uhoh:

My goal is to figure out what it takes to get my fasting b.s. at a good number. It seems my diet and exercise will keep it there. I've had this problem with high morning numbers since forever. I'm very sensitive to exercise but as soon as I quit...a.k.a. sleeping...the numbers start going up. But clearly, the combination of my diet (lean and healthy) plus exercise (vigorous and continuing throughout the day) and insulin is creating an overdose...I just don't know where or which or when. :uhoh:

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Here at work they are really pushing living a healthy lifestyle. They have a nutritionist and personal trainer that we can work with lifestyle changes.

You probably already know this, but this is what they tell non-diabetics and it has to do with keeping the blood sugar stable.

1) Eat protein within 30 minutes of waking up.
2) Eat every 2-3 hours during the day.
3) Always have a protein and with fruit/vegetable together.
4) Refuel with food as soon as possible after exercising ( protein / fruit or vegetable ).

·
Registered
365 Posts
You probably already know this, but this is what they tell non-diabetics and it has to do with keeping the blood sugar stable.

Thanks, good info. I didn't know you needed protein within 30 minutes of waking up. If only coffee counted as protein.....

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
By the way... glad you have found another doctor.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, Cubby. I always get a chuckle about keeping blood sugars stable for non-diabetics. It really isn't an issue. The so called sugar drop, etc. is pretty much made up. I can swing 200 points and never feel a thing so I doubt that a rise or fall of 10 or 20 would be noticeable. But that's just my opinion. I have no real memory of what it is to not have diabetes. I do however believe that people should always make good choices.

I've had a better day. No insulin this morning and fallling sugars all day. We'll see where it goes tomorrow morning. I might be on a path that will end up with no insulin.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I've had a better day. No insulin this morning and fallling sugars all day. We'll see where it goes tomorrow morning. I might be on a path that will end up with no insulin.
That would be awesome!!!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Here at work they are really pushing living a healthy lifestyle. They have a nutritionist and personal trainer that we can work with lifestyle changes.

1) Eat protein within 30 minutes of waking up.
2) Eat every 2-3 hours during the day.
3) Always have a protein and with fruit/vegetable together.
4) Refuel with food as soon as possible after exercising ( protein / fruit or vegetable ).
This is what my nutritionist told me. Even better, combining the protein with a fruit or veggie at snack time keeps the fat burning going and results in more weight lost. I'm not diabetic, but I switched my chocolate cookie addiction for a nut or nut butter (1 TBSP) and a handful of grapes or an orange and it worked beautifully to quell any hunger. I still look forward to my mid-morning fruit and nut snack.

·
Charlotte
6,577 Posts
I'm thinking you should gradually drop your regular insulin and do sliding scales and if your sugars remain good then everything is fine. Is your normal dose a short or long acting insulin?
Glad to hear that Penny is doing well and that you're quite into your daily exercise routine. I pulled a muscle in my leg or tore a ligament a month ago (knee xray today) and cannot run at all.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
glad that you checked in, I was wondering how you were :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts